Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GerwinGood
Hello all,

I recently got my TRF 417 (first tamiya) and so far so good.
Been testing alot with the setup but got a few questions.

The track im running has low grip currently

1. Rear grip problem, on throttle the rear is very loose.
2. Any advice to get more steering in the car?

I've uploaded a setup sheet of my current setup.
http://www.gerwingood.nl/RC/TRF417_16-04-2011.pdf

Thanks all, if need more info just ask.
The setup sheet doesn't state your droop or down travel. I would say try the following, in order:

1. Increase droop both front and rear, with front a bit more than rear.
2. Switch to a grade softer spring at the back.
3. Reduce front toe to 0.5 or 0.
4. Sauce the whole rear tires, and only inner half of front tires if you're using any.
5. If still no improvement, move the rear outer upright hole from outer to inner to increase camber gain at turning.
6. Change to different tires, like Sorex 28R. Lower grip means your tire won't heat up as much to the proper tire temperature range. I ran Sorex 32R at medium grip asphalt only when temperature is above 20 degress Celsius. Lower than 20 I use Sorex 28R.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by eComet
The setup sheet doesn't state your droop or down travel. I would say try the following, in order:

4. Sauce the whole rear tires, and only inner half of front tires if you're using any.
5. If still no improvement, move the rear outer upright hole from outer to inner to increase camber gain at turning.
6. Change to different tires, like Sorex 28R. Lower grip means your tire won't heat up as much to the proper tire temperature range. I ran Sorex 32R at medium grip asphalt only when temperature is above 20 degress Celsius. Lower than 20 I use Sorex 28R.
Thanks for the feedback and will try it out.

Any more feedback is welcome
Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

thanks for the help
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chrisk
thanks for the help
No prob post some pics up
Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

just got the car last week and i have been lucky that it has been raining hard here for two days so i have been able to get it 90% done, will post some pics during the week

what an awsome car to build
Old 04-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

what is the smallest Spur you can run so you can still get to the engine mount screw?

i am running non-timed 21.5 so i am down at 3.5 fdr

i have spur 69, pinion 38, but no luck getting to the screw.

the only option i see is to drill a hole towards the outer edge of the spur to give my hex-driver access to the motor mount screw.

what else has anybody else done for this problem?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chrisk
what is the smallest Spur you can run so you can still get to the engine mount screw?

i am running non-timed 21.5 so i am down at 3.5 fdr

i have spur 69, pinion 38, but no luck getting to the screw.

the only option i see is to drill a hole towards the outer edge of the spur to give my hex-driver access to the motor mount screw.

what else has anybody else done for this problem?
I run 17.5 and what I do is set the mesh and pin the one motor mount screw you can get to, then lift out the center diff and do the 'hidden' one.

When I change my pinions I always have the top deck off, I find it much easier in 17.5 and 21.5 with the pinion sizes we have to run.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

thats a good idea

i only run at the one track so i dont usually change pinion spur much

so thanks heaps
Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GerwinGood
Hello all,

I recently got my TRF 417 (first tamiya) and so far so good.
Been testing alot with the setup but got a few questions.

The track im running has low grip currently

1. Rear grip problem, on throttle the rear is very loose.
2. Any advice to get more steering in the car?

I've uploaded a setup sheet of my current setup.
http://www.gerwingood.nl/RC/TRF417_16-04-2011.pdf

Thanks all, if need more info just ask.
Originally Posted by eComet

I agree with most of what eComet says, what you describe sounds symptomatic of a general lack of grip (loose on power, no steering).

I would suggest tyres should be the first thing to change, sorex 28's would deffinetly be a good start, otherwise heat up the 32's a lot (say 60+ °C on tyre warmers). Tyres are 75% of the setup when in an open tyre formula, get those right and your already be improving

Then try the droop, 5 Front 4 rear seems to work best in low traction.
Spring change should be helpful too (either to Pink front, or Blue rear, depending on how you track is), or maybe try going out on the rear tower one hole.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Honestly, I have been running my 416WE with the Tamiya lipo chassis in 17.5 no boost and been quite happy with it. Is there any reason right now to replace it with the 417? I have read a lot about the rear grip issues, and running on asphalt only, I don't see that it would be an advantage for me, but I would like to hear if anyone else has some experiences between the two.

Also, maybe at this point I just wait for the 417X coming out next year (no inside information, just the typical Tamiya pattern).
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

Can someone tell me the spring ratings for these springs

http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=3856

Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AWK
Honestly, I have been running my 416WE with the Tamiya lipo chassis in 17.5 no boost and been quite happy with it. Is there any reason right now to replace it with the 417? I have read a lot about the rear grip issues, and running on asphalt only, I don't see that it would be an advantage for me, but I would like to hear if anyone else has some experiences between the two.

Also, maybe at this point I just wait for the 417X coming out next year (no inside information, just the typical Tamiya pattern).
Frankly speaking, for non-boost 17.5 the TRF416 would work fine. The TRF417 has beefier motor bulkheads so it's better if you're running boosted or mod motor. I have both TRF416XL and TRF417 and I intend to keep my TRF416XL for non-boosted and TRF417 for boosted class. Also, my TRF416XL flexes more than the TRF417 so for medium grip asphalt, it should grip a bit better.

For TRF417, have you guys try to cut the front upper deck link? The stock one looks like an A shape and I wonder if anyone cut the center support to make it a V shape, so to make it more flexible? I don't want to cut the motor mount and I am using the split blocks as well.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

You know what Tamiya needs? A touring car that has some f'ing rear grip on something other than the most pristine surfaces. I've been driving these stupid piece of s*** cars for 4 years now, and that problem has plagued me everywhere I go. So you know what? I'm done supporting a brand that doesn't care about North America, and only works right when the stars align. I'll be selling all this junk and buying something that works, from a company that supports racing.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

No problem with the cars in the Uk, and we have no grip over here.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
You know what Tamiya needs? A touring car that has some f'ing rear grip on something other than the most pristine surfaces. I've been driving these stupid piece of s*** cars for 4 years now, and that problem has plagued me everywhere I go. So you know what? I'm done supporting a brand that doesn't care about North America, and only works right when the stars align. I'll be selling all this junk and buying something that works, from a company that supports racing.
Man did ya have a bad weekend of racing or what?? Wish I had some extra cash...I'd buy your 417.

My 416X works great on low-med grip carpet. I'll be trying it on a parking lot track in the up coming months. Is the 417 really that bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.