Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
You know what Tamiya needs? A touring car that has some f'ing rear grip on something other than the most pristine surfaces. I've been driving these stupid piece of s*** cars for 4 years now, and that problem has plagued me everywhere I go. So you know what? I'm done supporting a brand that doesn't care about North America, and only works right when the stars align. I'll be selling all this junk and buying something that works, from a company that supports racing.
He did not have a bad weekend, but to be honest the inconsistency that comes with a Tamiya gets really old. The setup window is really small and it makes the car a challenge to drive when the grip even changes slightly. I have driven almost every car on the market and I can tell you this. Tamiya makes a great product, but the lack of US support and the parts availability was always a concern for me. I have had some of my best days driving a Tamiya, and also some of the very worst. When the car is good it is great, but when it is bad it is really bad. There are other cars on the market that don't punish you like a Tamiya when things are not perfect.

I think sometimes people just need a change...I hope where ever Syndr0me lands (car wise) will provide a better and more fun racing experience.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm sure someone from the US "team" will chime in with their great contribution. They'll probably say something like "this car always works for me."
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I'm sure someone from the US "team" will chime in with their great contribution. They'll probably say something like "this car always works for me."
Get a XRay and move on. It probably has better support in the US and you can ask Paul Lemieux for guidance.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You know what Tamiya needs? A touring car that has some f'ing rear grip on something other than the most pristine surfaces. I've been driving these stupid piece of s*** cars for 4 years now, and that problem has plagued me everywhere I go. So you know what? I'm done supporting a brand that doesn't care about North America, and only works right when the stars align. I'll be selling all this junk and buying something that works, from a company that supports racing.
Syndrome - step away from the toy cars dude before you ruin their resale value.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Don't be angry, get a t3 2011. Big window lol, and Xray has the largest team in the us(or one of the largest).. funny I say that cause i will be racing tamiya this asphalt season ... sshhhh(don't want to beat up my 2011). lol. But even last years t3 had a big setup window. Most changes I did were a 1/4 turn of front camber change to suit the track and getting the balance I wanted once I got my setup. But it is really dependent on your local team drivers. In my experience xray team drivers will help you the most (my experience, not what happens for everyone). Good luck with whichever brand you chose, but I have personally seen people struggle with all brands, even Xray.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
He did not have a bad weekend, but to be honest the inconsistency that comes with a Tamiya gets really old. The setup window is really small and it makes the car a challenge to drive when the grip even changes slightly. I have driven almost every car on the market and I can tell you this. Tamiya makes a great product, but the lack of US support and the parts availability was always a concern for me. I have had some of my best days driving a Tamiya, and also some of the very worst. When the car is good it is great, but when it is bad it is really bad. There are other cars on the market that don't punish you like a Tamiya when things are not perfect.

I think sometimes people just need a change...I hope where ever Syndr0me lands (car wise) will provide a better and more fun racing experience.
I hear you...I've been watching this thread in prep for getting a 417(x) this winter. We'll see I guess...
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Have you tried the soft TB03 arms?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Nope. Does that help? Let me see what's in stock... in HONG KONG!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TAMIYA was remake lower deck & upper deck coming 1-2 days arrive !
Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
TAMIYA was remake lower deck & upper deck coming 1-2 days arrive !
Now I am glad I'm waiting on buying a 417.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I don't think he needs a different arms. He needs a different car. But I am not sure even if that would help him since he has been struggling for 4 years. I, too have some problem with the car at times, but so does everyone with different cars. I did eventually find a good setup with the help of local expert drivers.

Another note to keep in mind, the driver has to setup the car to suit the driving style as well. I used one of my friend's setup for carpet racing and the rear is a lot looser, but it is quicker and I have to learn not letting off throttle all the way when I make a turn. In the end, I adapt to the new driving style and my lap times were at least 0.5-1 second quicker from an average of 12 second, that is almost a 10% improvement!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Nope. Does that help? Let me see what's in stock... in HONG KONG!
LOL c'mon now

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXABZF&P=7
Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Now I am glad I'm waiting on buying a 417.
MAY release New ver. TRF417 w/ new gear diff !
Old 04-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

What else is going to be new ?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Adam,

I'll find you a good deal on an Xray if you decide to go that route! And give you Pauls number! LOL

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.