Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 PM
  #3736  
OVA
Tech Lord
iTrader: (87)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 10,337
Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by zaraz
i have had a 417x and now own a ta05r with the exotek conversion, I am faster with the ta05 then the 417x, I just could not set up the x well, but the ta05 is just amazing, I also have a ta06 pro, and again the ta05 is faster, must be the exotek chassis, and I can run the low profile bodies from tamiya best of bot worlds
I have the same TA05 ver2 exotek chasis ..where did you get your set up? thanks
OVA is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:03 AM
  #3737  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 72
Default

Just had a run with my 417 yesterday, and thought I'd share it all
First of all, all throughout the night, I kept improving. I was running a 13.5 while the others were on 10.5 and I managed to keep up. I finished 3rd in the A main ahead of the regular guys driving a boostedd 10.5.
(All this even though my motor would go up to temps of 250degrees farenheit ! thats about 110 celcius ! It was crazy hot but ran fine )
Anyway, I was running the softer springs, Blue front and Yellow rear and It worked much better then White/blue. That combination made the car slide more had harder to drive. The track is slightly tight and medium grip.
I had enough off-power steering, mid corner the car would stay stable even at high speeds, but one place where it could have improved a tiny bit was on corner exit. I guess changing the rear springs to blue (making it Blue all round) would have helped.
One thing which I noticed with the ball diff is that during a race if would loosen up a tad. So I would tighten it before the heat but at the end, it felt quite loose. Having the diff looser actually helped on corner entry and into chicanes, but as soon as I gave it the beans, the car was tail happy. (But that wasn't much of an issue because ther was only one corner where i could give it the beans. On the other hand, if it was on a bigger track, i might have had more sliding.
Saying all this, I didn't notice any slipping
The good thing is that the diff wouldn't loosen itself anymore after a certain stage, so it was ok.
So in the end I was extremely happy with the car. I actually used the Hot Bodies steering knuckles because my 417's knuckles were kaput, and it worked like a charm.

Next thing I'd like to try is the gear diff as people have been saying it's really good, and blue springs all round. I will also put some Xray C-hub/Knuckles because they seem to last longer apparently

I had one question though, I was wondering if I should cut the top deck link at the rear. I mean, I have a 417 top deck on which I cut the front bit (like 417X) but thats it. Should I cut the rear bit aswell (like on the 417X) ? In what conditions should I consider cutting it?
(I also run the cut motor mount, and since then, been feeling great improvement )

Thank you
MatJ is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 AM
  #3738  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,279
Default

MatJ
You should try running yellow springs all the way around with 40wt oil. And shocks stood more upright. Rear toe 2 to 2.5 degrees. You'll get all the steering and traction your looking for.
Juan Aveytia is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 AM
  #3739  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 321
Default

Originally Posted by MatJ
Just had a run with my 417 yesterday, and thought I'd share it all
First of all, all throughout the night, I kept improving. I was running a 13.5 while the others were on 10.5 and I managed to keep up. I finished 3rd in the A main ahead of the regular guys driving a boostedd 10.5.
(All this even though my motor would go up to temps of 250degrees farenheit ! thats about 110 celcius ! It was crazy hot but ran fine )
Anyway, I was running the softer springs, Blue front and Yellow rear and It worked much better then White/blue. That combination made the car slide more had harder to drive. The track is slightly tight and medium grip.
I had enough off-power steering, mid corner the car would stay stable even at high speeds, but one place where it could have improved a tiny bit was on corner exit. I guess changing the rear springs to blue (making it Blue all round) would have helped.
One thing which I noticed with the ball diff is that during a race if would loosen up a tad. So I would tighten it before the heat but at the end, it felt quite loose. Having the diff looser actually helped on corner entry and into chicanes, but as soon as I gave it the beans, the car was tail happy. (But that wasn't much of an issue because ther was only one corner where i could give it the beans. On the other hand, if it was on a bigger track, i might have had more sliding.
Saying all this, I didn't notice any slipping
The good thing is that the diff wouldn't loosen itself anymore after a certain stage, so it was ok.
So in the end I was extremely happy with the car. I actually used the Hot Bodies steering knuckles because my 417's knuckles were kaput, and it worked like a charm.

Next thing I'd like to try is the gear diff as people have been saying it's really good, and blue springs all round. I will also put some Xray C-hub/Knuckles because they seem to last longer apparently

I had one question though, I was wondering if I should cut the top deck link at the rear. I mean, I have a 417 top deck on which I cut the front bit (like 417X) but thats it. Should I cut the rear bit aswell (like on the 417X) ? In what conditions should I consider cutting it?
(I also run the cut motor mount, and since then, been feeling great improvement )

Thank you
asphalt?
M3CSLDreamin is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 AM
  #3740  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 66
Default

Originally Posted by Guillermito
Someone tried the harder rear differential? Oil 1500 or 2000?

Thanks. Best Regards.
YES!

I´ve got 2 Geardiffs with 1000 and 2000 Tamiya VG Oil.

I´ve tested both Geardiffs on High Grip Carpet with a 17.5T and a 10.5T but for Stock Racing i think 1000 will be the better choice! Runs smooth and felt better on track!

I will take my second Geardiff and put some Ride Gear Puty into it and will test in front!



@ MatJ:

If you run on Asphalt, then try some HPI Silver Springs all around! I´ve found them much better outdoors than the tamiya ones!

On Carpet you shouldn´t need more than white tamiya springs in front and blue in the rear!
Philipp1990 is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:37 PM
  #3741  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (27)
 
teamrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 242
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
TRF New Upper Deck & Decal
& Tamiya release TRF417 kit again !
Hello, I recently bought the Original 417 and wanted to pick up some 417x hop ups. I wanted know what is the difference between the two top decks? Part# 42205 and the newly released one #42333 (pictured a few post above)? Is one more flexible than the other? Also, would I have to get the different motor mounts for this mount up correctly? Thanks.
teamrich is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 PM
  #3742  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

The 417x deck is more flexible. It will fit the existing motor mount, which you should cut in half of you haven't already done so.
CraigM is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 PM
  #3743  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

What is the benefit of running additional/reduced toe on the blocks that is different than the wheels?

I have the c/b seperate setup(.5*) but I'm running 1* toe in. What should I expect if I increase/decrease the angle?
silverhkswrx is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM
  #3744  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,279
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

CSO released new Option parts for TRF417X
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF417-cso-ta-1004a.jpg   Tamiya TRF417-cso-ta-1004.jpg   Tamiya TRF417-cso-ta-1005.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM
  #3745  
Tech Master
iTrader: (37)
 
John.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The track
Posts: 1,341
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
CSO released new Option parts for TRF417X
Can you confirm if the mounting holes for the CSO's central servo mount will line up with the holes on stock 417x chassis?
John.C is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM
  #3746  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
CSO released new Option parts for TRF417X
Mmmm just need the top deck now
CraigM is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
  #3747  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM
Mmmm just need the top deck now
Wasn't the Tamiya Deck 2,25, dont know if it makes a big diff because its only 0,05 mm.
Wonder if tamiya will release there lower deck soon?
Cp Grafix is offline  
Old 08-21-2012, 02:46 AM
  #3748  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,279
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by John.C
Can you confirm if the mounting holes for the CSO's central servo mount will line up with the holes on stock 417x chassis?
Support 2 screw to mount !
If cso chassis support 3 screw to mount

CSO Chassis delay tomorrow release ,
packing now !
RC MARKET is offline  
Old 08-21-2012, 03:29 AM
  #3749  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cp Grafix
Wasn't the Tamiya Deck 2,25, dont know if it makes a big diff because its only 0,05 mm.
Wonder if tamiya will release there lower deck soon?
Already released and at hobby shops. I got my lower deck, upper is on its way. I should get any day now.
silverhkswrx is offline  
Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 AM
  #3750  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Already released and at hobby shops. I got my lower deck, upper is on its way. I should get any day now.
Link please
Cp Grafix is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.