R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree27Likes

Old 08-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #1741
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Standard M06 kits could still be found, at least on eBay. Plenty of them.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #1742
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrush View Post
Looking to buy m-06r or pro version but they are discontinued... Is their a reason for that? Even the standard m-06 is not stocked at most rc shops.Is the m-06 finishing or some other reason?
It's due for a refresh. I still think a version II is due. I don't think we will see a new one until M05 is updated to M07.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #1743
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Random data point... I built an M-06 Alfa to the M-06 Pro spec. Meaning I bought the Alfa kit, and went through the M-06 Pro manual and bought all the parts I needed to make it a Pro, plus the M-05 ball diff. I'm running the kit setup, but with the ride height adjusted to about 5mm/5.5mm F/R.

I ran it on sugared asphalt (P1 hobbies) on an older set of S-Grips (that I mounted myself) and it traction rolled all over the place. On my new S-Grip TCS premounts it didn't roll but spun out all the time. I was getting ready to give up on it as a race car and just put a gyro in it and run it as a basher.

But at the end of the day, I slapped the TCS Type A slick premounts on it, and it was magically transformed. Minor oversteer on corner entry, perfectly neutral at part throttle, and planted at full throttle. It will still spin out if I get all the way out of the throttle and turn too suddenly, but it's very close to being "right" now, and I think by taking some camber out of the front it, and maybe making the front springs a little harder than the rears, it will be just about perfect.

I was just surprised that different tires changed the balance so much. M-chassis cars are weird!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #1744
Tech Elite

I made an editable PDF. Im unable to load it as an attachment because its 1.2 mb. When I reduce the size, it loses the editable fields. PM me with your email and I can send it to you.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #1745
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well I bought back my M06 pro from the fellow racer that bought from me. I had to rebuild it and replaced some parts and tires but it's ready to go again. So I will see how it goes tomorrow night and go from there.
waltss2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #1746
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The on road racing season is upon us again here in upstate NY. CRC will begin the club racing next week. I had the chance to get my M06 on the new rug and I'm pretty happy except the car seems to want to dive down and flip on the sharp turns. I didn't have time to really tune much, but I'm thinking I need a stiffer front spring to keep body roll down.
We should have a decent field of mini's each week, probably 7 to 10 pretty regular.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #1747
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default low ride pumpkin

Got this m06 kit Upgraded shocks fast gear set upgraded to brushless one thing i noticed was the low ride pumkin plastic body is extremely heavy any hint of a fast corner it will flip. With kit tires pushes like a pig with pit hard front soft rear it wants to flip. most the other minis i am running against are m05 that have long wheel base.

What bodies will fit the car, is there a way to increase wheel base or is there something else i should be looking at
tbamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #1748
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to foampervert
Default low profile bodyshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbamsey View Post
Got this m06 kit Upgraded shocks fast gear set upgraded to brushless one thing i noticed was the low ride pumkin plastic body is extremely heavy any hint of a fast corner it will flip. With kit tires pushes like a pig with pit hard front soft rear it wants to flip. most the other minis i am running against are m05 that have long wheel base.

What bodies will fit the car, is there a way to increase wheel base or is there something else i should be looking at
I run the datsun280zx shell, honda s800, renault alpine (for tamiya only bodyshells) and they are all very good handling indeed! keeps the weight down as well.

I have not personally experimented with mid or long wheelbase as we do not have a permanent carpet track to test on (only during our annual Tamiya Asia Cup league races). short wheelbase gives the best rear grip(on power)... if you need a little more rotation on power, you need to try mid or long wheelbase, but you will definitely lose out some instant acceleration...

I'm keen to try mid and long wheelbase as soon as I get my hands on a guilia, crx and the new mazda roadster shells...

-Alexander

Sorex, i meant Sorex.
foampervert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #1749
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
Random data point... I built an M-06 Alfa to the M-06 Pro spec. Meaning I bought the Alfa kit, and went through the M-06 Pro manual and bought all the parts I needed to make it a Pro, plus the M-05 ball diff. I'm running the kit setup, but with the ride height adjusted to about 5mm/5.5mm F/R.

I ran it on sugared asphalt (P1 hobbies) on an older set of S-Grips (that I mounted myself) and it traction rolled all over the place. On my new S-Grip TCS premounts it didn't roll but spun out all the time. I was getting ready to give up on it as a race car and just put a gyro in it and run it as a basher.

But at the end of the day, I slapped the TCS Type A slick premounts on it, and it was magically transformed. Minor oversteer on corner entry, perfectly neutral at part throttle, and planted at full throttle. It will still spin out if I get all the way out of the throttle and turn too suddenly, but it's very close to being "right" now, and I think by taking some camber out of the front it, and maybe making the front springs a little harder than the rears, it will be just about perfect.

I was just surprised that different tires changed the balance so much. M-chassis cars are weird!
I had time to run the car again, on a lower grip asphalt track, and set it to zero camber front, -1.5 rear. I also put the medium M-06 Pro springs (42168) in the front and the softs in the rear, opposite of the instructions for M-06 Pro. The car is just about perfect, as long as you drive it on the throttle. Just lift a little to slow it down, then turn in and get on the gas, and it will slide just a little. Very fun car. Forget about using brakes though. I even had to turn drag brake down to zero to keep it from spinning.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #1750
Tech Elite

Are you running full length battery? Or shorty LiPo?
Old 11-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #1751
Tech Adept

Full length stick pack
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2745
I will post a setup sheet using the template you kindly sent me.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #1752
Tech Elite

I recommend you use a shorty, it greatly allows you to tune the car for more steering when needed and rear grip when needed. Especially since Tamiya never made those R spec axle weights available separately.

I'm running mine tonight at the Hobby Town In LV. Last race two people approached me and said they are bringing their m chassis. So hopefully they will show up with their M05s and I can show them what RWD is all about
Old 11-21-2015, 01:38 AM   #1753
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to foampervert
Default Reducing roll on m06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispeedguy View Post
The on road racing season is upon us again here in upstate NY. CRC will begin the club racing next week. I had the chance to get my M06 on the new rug and I'm pretty happy except the car seems to want to dive down and flip on the sharp turns. I didn't have time to really tune much, but I'm thinking I need a stiffer front spring to keep body roll down.
We should have a decent field of mini's each week, probably 7 to 10 pretty regular.
What I found on the m06, and to a large extend the m05...
Harder springs increase increases grip and that may cause more grip roll.
If your springs are already decently hard and causing grip roll, you might like to add more spacers under the front inboard ball studs. It allows a little more roll which prevents the tires from digging in.
Another way is front and rear roll bars.

It sounds different from what we know in tuning touring cars, but that's just how minis are.

Sorex, i meant Sorex.
foampervert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #1754
Tech Elite

For carpet, when you start to traction roll, you need to go with thicker oil and stiffer springs, try 70 wt oil up front white springs 40 shore tires. Blue rear 36 shore 60 wt oil. (Shimizu with pink sweep inserts) you can also do Sweep 40 and 33. Next reduce ride height 3-4 mm. Also, do not use toe out unless you need LESS steering, in fact try 0.5 toe IN. Another trick is to add center weight once the car is traction rolling, (under battery)
Old 11-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #1755
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Not sure if you guys are aware, but Tamiya is releasing a new Mazda MX-5 body for the M chassis. What I don't understand is why they're releasing it as an M-05 kit. Any thoughts?
longuylander is offline   Reply With Quote