Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I must say I am very pleased with the car, I've been running the car for 4 weeks now and have put the car on the pole and first every week! That is until this Saturday.

I had what I thought was a pretty mild crash, moved the motor enough to just barely strip a spur. Long story short the car ended up with a major tweak, so bad I couldn't even race the car that day(crash was in practice)

So as the car sits now i can assemble the rear of the car(bulkheads only) and install the top deck the chassis ends up with a slight tweak. If i install the front bulkheads and install the screws for the topdeck, the chassis ends up with a real bad tweak.

I've done everything to get the tweak out of the car, and it will not straighten out. Even to the extent of fliping the topdeck and using button heads to fasten the top deck and at that point the car bows the center of the chassis.

So at this point I am ordering all new bulkheads for the car.

So is this what I should expect from this car?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jvroffroadrc
Hey guys just got into onroad and got a used tc6 to start out with i really like the car but my question is if i am running on a small carpet track would you go with a slipper spool or a ball diff? My car had the slipper spool in it when i got it but everyone at my track says to take it out and run a diff. I have looked at alot of setup sheets and it seems most are using spools up front. Then when it comes to sway bars there is even more confusion coming from a offroad background but one thing at a time i guess. Any help would be great, thanks.
I played around with a diff up front a week ago on carpet, and in the end I thought the spool was better. The diff will rotate a lot in the middle, but you give up entry and exit to do it, and in the end I got a slower laptime with a less precise feeling out of the car. I was running oil in my diff (500k), maybe a putty diff with a tighter feeling would be better (and this is what you see if its not a spool, putty diff), but putty tends to be a little less consistent than oil so you have to keep an eye on it.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Originally Posted by HVFracingwilly
I sure hope so I have a much better chance at winning the main with you in the pits
Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I must say I am very pleased with the car, I've been running the car for 4 weeks now and have put the car on the pole and first every week! That is until this Saturday.

I had what I thought was a pretty mild crash, moved the motor enough to just barely strip a spur. Long story short the car ended up with a major tweak, so bad I couldn't even race the car that day(crash was in practice)

So as the car sits now i can assemble the rear of the car(bulkheads only) and install the top deck the chassis ends up with a slight tweak. If i install the front bulkheads and install the screws for the topdeck, the chassis ends up with a real bad tweak.

I've done everything to get the tweak out of the car, and it will not straighten out. Even to the extent of fliping the topdeck and using button heads to fasten the top deck and at that point the car bows the center of the chassis.

Ive never bent a bulkhead yet, and I havent seen anyone else at my track do so either. Check that it is indeed a bent peice by taking the car apart and check the bulkheads on a piece of glass. One race I had the plastic insert for the steering post pop out and that tweaked the chassis bad. I have the insert glued in now...

Also check that you dont have a bent screw in an arm mount or anywhere else for that matter
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Ive never bent a bulkhead yet, and I havent seen anyone else at my track do so either. Check that it is indeed a bent peice by taking the car apart and check the bulkheads on a piece of glass. One race I had the plastic insert for the steering post pop out and that tweaked the chassis bad. I have the insert glued in now...

Also check that you dont have a bent screw in an arm mount or anywhere else for that matter
I did most of my trouble shooting Saturday at the track, and tonight with a clear head I stripped the chassis down to bare nothing. only thing that is a factor right now is the chassis and the bulkheads.

I did take the time tonight to replace all of the screws in the bottom and top of the chassis to cancel a bent screw as the issue. I have two bulkheads that when tightened to the chassis the chassis tweaks.

That leads me to believe those are bent on the bottom mounts.

The other two bulkheads tighten to the chassis fine, but when the topdeck is fastened to the "good" bulkheads the chassis develops a slight tweak. Which leads me to believe those are also bent.

This is also being done without the motor mount installed because I know that is bent.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Here is a picture of the alignment of the front bulkhead to topdeck, remember the rear of the car is tight and straight to the best of my ability.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC6 Thread-imag0237.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have been running mine for right at a year, and I only had one issue with bent bulkheads once, and it was a HARD impact straight to the back when I was running a 4 turn mod motor on a 200ft straight. clipped the inside wall and backed it in at the end of the straight without slowing down. To be honest it was such a hard hit im surprised it only bent the bulkheads

I havent seen anyone else have an issue with bending them, so I dont think it is an issue with this car (any more than it would be with any other car)

If your motor mount is bent for sure, its possible it bent all four bulkheads. It may have been a harder hit than you thought, or just caught at the right angle to cause some unlikely bending of the components.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Here is a picture of the alignment of the front bulkhead to topdeck, remember the rear of the car is tight and straight to the best of my ability.
Have you laid just the bulkheads on a known flat surface to see if any of them are tweaked. Its possible that one or two bent ones could make you think all 4 are bent
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
Have you laid just the bulkheads on a known flat surface to see if any of them are tweaked. Its possible that one or two bent ones could make you think all 4 are bent
That is my biggest problem at this point, none of the bulkheads appear to be bent on a variety of know flat surfaces.

I know for a fact that the car was straight when i built it, been doing this to long to not notice something this severe during the initial build
Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive had a few AWESOME crashing with my tc6, and sure i broke some bits tweeked that, but it only cost me $20 to fix it, try that with a xray or a corally.

it actully sounds like you have bent the little L bracket that is on the motor mount, so id look at that $2 part first 8)

Ed
Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

That is my biggest problem at this point, none of the bulkheads appear to be bent on a variety of know flat surfaces.

I know for a fact that the car was straight when i built it, been doing this to long to not notice something this severe during the initial build
im assuming that the main chassis plate is also straight before you attach anything to it?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

im assuming that the main chassis plate is also straight before you attach anything to it?
perfectly flat.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

perfectly flat.
hmm, thats really confusing then. In theory, a flat chassis with straight bulkheads and new screws should provide no tweak.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

hmm, thats really confusing then. In theory, a flat chassis with straight bulkheads and new screws should provide no tweak.

Exactly my issue. And recent excuse for a lot of fresh hair loss, and large hole in my checking account.

25$ a piece for bulkheads, 11$ a pieces for spur mounts, 11$ for the motor mount and 4$ for the L bracket.

That is where my frustration comes in as none of the parts appear bent but obviously are. So the only for sure solution is to replace with new and hope.

Maybe someone from associated will chime in and be generous to a person that has sold multiple car kits in his area based on how great I said the car is.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

a person that has sold multiple car kits in his area based on how great I said the car is.
I have to agree a fair share of fellow racers have pulled the trigger on purchasing this kit soley based on Willy's rave about it. I myself was real close to buying one instead of my T3 2012. And im a pretty dedicated Xray guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.