Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R Gear diff review

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

im running the same gear diff and same gears for almost two years now. 13.5 and 17.5
its all about how well you shim the diff up.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Damn, see this is the thing. I've read this entire thread and for every post saying they're junk there's another one say it's just how you shim/tighten/goop them and they'll last until the Second Coming of Masami
Old 08-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Damn, see this is the thing. I've read this entire thread and for every post saying they're junk there's another one say it's just how you shim/tighten/goop them and they'll last until the Second Coming of Masami
And that is the reality of it Dan, mileage varies for lots of people with lots of different products. All i can say is that generally there are local factors that are likely to be influencing things more so than the product being dodgy.

GSM Storm races on the same tracks as i do here in Brisbane, and he is getting 12 runs out of a set, me 50+ so far no issues, he is a pro level driver and im a total noob, perhaps for the average driver these are fine but for the pro guys who are going that bit harder, setting the car to be a free as possible, that the issue of wear and breakage arises.

Seeing that you are running an old T2, i am assuming you are an average type club racer, i think you will find that these diffs are just fine for your needs.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
And that is the reality of it Dan, mileage varies for lots of people with lots of different products. All i can say is that generally there are local factors that are likely to be influencing things more so than the product being dodgy.

GSM Storm races on the same tracks as i do here in Brisbane, and he is getting 12 runs out of a set, me 50+ so far no issues, he is a pro level driver and im a total noob, perhaps for the average driver these are fine but for the pro guys who are going that bit harder, setting the car to be a free as possible, that the issue of wear and breakage arises.

Seeing that you are running an old T2, i am assuming you are an average type club racer, i think you will find that these diffs are just fine for your needs.
Less than average club racer lol. Can you recommend what I would need to buy in the way of spares for these diffs?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Less than average club racer lol. Can you recommend what I would need to buy in the way of spares for these diffs?
I would keep a set of cases and gears in your pit box for just in case as well as seals and gaskets for rebuilds and do a rebuild every 5 meets, just remember to clean the gunk out of the pulleys after each race meet, and they should last you ages.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:16 AM
Tech Initiate

do you use plastic or titanium gear diff pin?