Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R Gear diff review

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonest
I tried the 3Racing gear diff filled with 800cst oil with more than 8 packs of runtime and I must say, it felt great.... however due to a screw loose on the bulk head and this has led to a misaligned diff, the gear was stripped.

Even as such, the gear case is still ok unlike SpecR, the gear case, shims and maybe the plastic cross would definitely need replacement. Now I just need to replace the plastic gear and it's definitely stronger then a SpecR gear...

Luckily, I have another set to try, this one is filled with 2k oil and the feels is about the same, of coz the traction has improved alot by then.

If u ask me, get the 3Racing gear diff for your car... It will be an awesome weapon!
2k its better?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What are the advantages of a gear diff as far as handeling of the car? Does it give you more rear traction?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kobiwan
What are the advantages of a gear diff as far as handeling of the car? Does it give you more rear traction?
It depends on what weight oil you use. It could give more or less rear traction.

Pros:
less maintenance
NO slipping at all
more forward bite
nearly infinite adjustment with different oils

Cons:
weighs more
leaks oil on your car
Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by M-Technic
It depends on what weight oil you use. It could give more or less rear traction.

Pros:
less maintenance
NO slipping at all
more forward bite
nearly infinite adjustment with different oils

Cons:
weighs more
leaks oil on your car
You can't stop the oil from leaking? Which one is the best? Spec R or 3racing? What gives you more traction? thicker oil or thinner? I run on carpet, what weight oil should i run?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You can't stop the oil from leaking? Which one is the best? Spec R or 3racing? What gives you more traction? thicker oil or thinner? I run on carpet, what weight oil should i run?
Pretty much every question you have has been answered numerous times in this thread already.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

You can't stop the oil from leaking? Which one is the best? Spec R or 3racing?
I have tried both. 3racing is a better one with NO LEAK at all, price is almost half of Spec R and it includes everything that you need to run it. Then again, it depends what car you are driving, not all models will fit though.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dameetz
I have tried both. 3racing is a better one with NO LEAK at all, price is almost half of Spec R and it includes everything that you need to run it. Then again, it depends what car you are driving, not all models will fit though.
I have the tamiya 416X. Will the 3racing diff work with the Tamiya?
Know any place that has them in stock at the moment?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have the tamiya 416X. Will the 3racing diff work with the Tamiya?
Know any place that has them in stock at the moment?
It works with any of the 416. Rcmarket n rcmushroom should have.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ali_g
2k its better?
That's how I felt, especially on big flowing track.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

Just an up-date on spec-r diffs.

I,ve just stripped mine down, I run a T2 009 in 10.5 rubber carpet.

From what I can see there is little or no wear and slop and they are still smooth as you like, I use 100,000 ft and 2000 rear.

Only thing I would say for this class is they are heavy, especially if your replacing a spool/ composite ball diff combo, may be on bigger more open tracks you would be better off going back to a spool/ball diff for the top speed.

There has to be a version2 coming soon plus other manufactures making little and smaller units. The M-Pro for the photon looks good but you would need to mess with drive shafts to get it to work in and xray.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Regular

Hello. I have buy a New spec-r diffus for my tamiya and when i get it is broken. Soo. How to do. Now? Is it Hard Coated Diff. Joint (For SPR009-TMY) are brokend and not stregiht. Were can i find New one?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default 3racing vs spec r

I have both. For the money, the 3 racing is much better. That said, neither is perfect. The spec-r leaks and the cost and quality is just ok. The 3 racing uses better plastics, plus aluminum outdrives and it cost about 30-35% less. The 3 racing gear diff requires some sanding (the large plastic gears are very tight on the outdrives, the spur side is tight on the outdrives, and the spur side bearing does not fit without sanding.) The 3racing one fits tamiya cars perfectly (just use the 3.5mm plastic cushions.)

All in all, the 3 racing gear diff is a better unit, and it's cheaper.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

I've run my Spec-r diff for 24 5 minute races now and just stripped it down. It leaked very slightly but did not cause any problems in this time. All the gears are still in perfect condition as are the casings. The only wear is the 2 shims that go between the o rings and gears are very thin and distorted which is probably what is causing the slight leak. Does anyone Know where i can get just the shims in the UK please.

Last edited by BILKO1; 09-10-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

change to option o-ring to prevent leaking if u r using spec-r gdiff..
Old 09-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I have both. For the money, the 3 racing is much better. That said, neither is perfect. The spec-r leaks and the cost and quality is just ok. The 3 racing uses better plastics, plus aluminum outdrives and it cost about 30-35% less. The 3 racing gear diff requires some sanding (the large plastic gears are very tight on the outdrives, the spur side is tight on the outdrives, and the spur side bearing does not fit without sanding.) The 3racing one fits tamiya cars perfectly (just use the 3.5mm plastic cushions.)

All in all, the 3 racing gear diff is a better unit, and it's cheaper.
I'm actually having problems with my 3-racing gear diff....It is off-center.
When I put the two diff halves together with the gasket in between, the result is an off-center gear diff....It just wobbles around. I think it's because of the rubber gasket, but it seems very hard to adjust the gear the right way. How tight do you screw these halves with the rubber gasket in between? Fully or just that much till you feel the counter pressure from the gasket? (I've tried both, but with the same results)...

I've been having the 3-racing diff for a few weeks now, but still haven't used it because of this issue...

My slightly modified Spec-r gear diff is performing very well, even with modified.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.