Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by teamAE
Mark I see you running at socal alot now and your car looks preaty dialed. Think you could post your setup? Or is it preaty close to todd and Brians socal setup?

The setup has just been added to http://www.losiboard.com/onroad.html

Stop by if you see me at the track and let me know how it works for you.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ok guys I need set-up help!!!

Today at the newly paved lacal outdoor track I experienced a severe off-ower push. The car would start off feeling good for the first minute and then develope an off-power push which progressively got worse as the race went on culmnating in me popping a front arm because I couldn't get the car to turn in fast enough. I would have to hit the brakes before the turn and then start powering thru the turn sooner to get it to rotate....... I ended up going to a shorter front chamber link, and adding a little more rear droop which gave me another 30 seconds before the push reoccurred...... I am thinking that my shock oil is too soft which is creating good reartraction, but allowing the Jaco Purple on the back to heat up a little too much which in-turn as the race goes on adds rear traction....

I am running 57 pistons in the front and 55 in the rear with 40 weight oil in all 4 shocks.... which equates to 50 weight front and 30 weight rear and 56 pistons on all 4..... with my curent piston seection....57/55 what oils would you all start with... and what other changes would you suggest???

BTW: here is my starting set-up which works well when it's cooler.... now tract temps are reaching 120deg on the asphalt 85-95 ambient...... http://www.losiboard.com/..\scripts\...hp?&setup_id=9
Old 07-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've never run foams outside. So far I have only run 56's with 35 front/30 rear. I just went to 60 all around but haven't tried it (96-100 degree air temp).

Off the bat your rear looks a little soft, not getting weight transfer to the front.

Ned
Old 07-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I don't have experiance with foams but it does sound like the tires may be over heating. One other thing I had happen in really hot weather when I ran a TC3 was the very thin oil (20wt Associated) I was running in the back was heating up and getting thinner when it got hot and gave the car too much rear grip. But ambiant temps on that day were 105! I didn't have a temp gauge then but track temps had to be in the 150's or more. I've been running 50wt w/ 56 pistons in the warmer temps in the Losi for a while now and had no problems.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would try going thicker on oil all around and keeping everything closer together. Maybe try 60 wt all around with 56 pistons all around.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well the first thing I would do is put #56 pistons back in the shocks,run 50wt all the way around,blue springs.The only reason why I like to run #56's is it's just alot easier for me to keep track of my set ups.The blue springs(for me) are a good starting point,If I want the car to react faster I will go to a stiffer spring.You never said what front tires you were using.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Tech Adept

I just have a question. should I run softer in the front or rear? Ive got a couple sets of springs to try with the stock oil. Ive got two purples two silvers and four blues. I run at ripon if any of you have any experience there the track temp was 140.

P.S. I just got home from the race. It was fun I got the TQ in the first qualifier. Then it all just went downhill. 2nd qualifier: 3rd place (of 9!). 3rd qualifier: 4th place. A-main:started first and forgot to put on traction compound and ended up 4th!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Ripon is carpet..? Well right now on my asphalt car I'm running purple's in the front and sliver's in the rear,#56 pistons,50wt. and a sway bar up front.With this set up at the track I race at it's soooo good,I can put this car anywhere I want(sometimes this is not good.. )I got the basic set up from STLNLST and worked on it a little for my "home" track.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I talked to Matt Francis at the Reedy race and he said this car responds well to having equal spring and shock oil on all four. I ran 50 wt, #56, w/ purple for a while and it felt good. I put some blue on the rear when I was running mod to get a little more rear bite because I was a little loose coming out of the corner. That worked very well also. I also tried moving the front arms into the middle position instead of the front and that helped on the turn in a ton.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

I'm looking for opinions on what is the best mod motor for short tracks.

After a very close race today I've maintained my 100% record of TC races this championship with 3 TQs and 3 wins out of 3 races. I'm currently running a Peak Carrera 10x2 and it's obviously quick enough but get's quite hot even with conservative gearing and as almost all of my current motors are TOP based I'm tempted to try something different, any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LoiusB :

is you're running on a short track, motors will be hotter as compared with sweeping longer tracks... i tried the D5 9x2 on a very, very tight track and it was ok, imagine my gearing is a 22 pinion on 128 spur... although i had to change the motor springs to green...

IMPACTPLAYER:

in my opinion use the same shock oil and piston on all four shocks... may i suggest that you use the new offset hubs of the G+ and run the camber link in the number 5 or 6 hole...

also, run the front arms forward...

... also if you added rear droop, you'd be adding rear traction...

... just my 2cents

Last edited by highwayman; 07-20-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

XXXKat- No in the summer we race asphault in Ripon(at dan's auto body). Then in the winter all of us ripon drivers go to the stockton fairgrounds for carpet racing. I cant get my car hooked up though. The back end Is always sliding and adding a couple seconds on each lap. I heard that for the mains at ripon I should use Front:24's and Rear:20's. SHould I try Blue's all around? Or something else? Like the stock spring set up. XXXkat at what track do you usually race?

Brandon

P.S. I only have som sorex 36's with firm inserts and take off cs-27's which seem to be too hard for the main beacause my tires didnt even heat up until the last lap.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Brandon - I used Sorex 36Rs all day yesterday. Anything below Sorex 28Rs will overheat. Sorex 24s and 20s are more for carpet racing. T.O. 27s should work decent also. I will try to help you set your car up next time I'm out there.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure what your air temps are but here in Austin and last week in Jackson, MS I run TakeOff 32's during the day and 27's when the sun goes down.

27s during the heat of day squeal like a stuck pig and you slide everywhere. The 32's are dialed, once the sun goes down the 27's really come in.

Typically use tire sauce once during practice then not again the rest of the evening.

Ned
Old 07-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by xxxkat
Ripon is carpet..? Well right now on my asphalt car I'm running purple's in the front and sliver's in the rear,#56 pistons,50wt. and a sway bar up front.With this set up at the track I race at it's soooo good,I can put this car anywhere I want(sometimes this is not good.. )I got the basic set up from STLNLST and worked on it a little for my "home" track.
ripon is asphalt....stockton is where the carpet is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.