Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

ongbenghui

I experimented with using the spring in my XXX-S. It wouldn’t work, the spring is to long. I couldn’t get the spring to depress enough to get the lock-nut on the diff screw. The diff in the XXX-NT uses more washer than the diff in the XXX-S. So when I thought about it and ask the question, it sounded like a good idea. O-well

Have fun racing

Rich
Old 04-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by fhubbard
So did I 7th and 8th, then Inglewood for a year (freshman, Harold Miner's senior year), then off to LaSalle High for basketball. LOL on the drivers ed. Small world...
I use to hang with his younger brother Melvin. They lived two blocks from me. I passed their house every time my mom made me go to the Boys market for eggs and what not. I moved after my 8th grade year up here to Sac.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:05 PM
ttr
Tech Apprentice

Default Base setup for high speed track?

The racing line on our new track is about 1500 feet long, the lap times are around 30 sec in 12T modified class on rubber. I have the only Losi at the track and I need a basic setup to begin with. What sedan body is best for high speed tracks? The track is smooth but slippy because of the dust blown on by the sometimes strong wind. The layout is like the F1 layout at Indy, very long straight followed by a wide banked oval (not full speed, must be very cautious to) after that a twisty and slippy but wide infield and an opening wide turn (not banked). This last turn si very important to get the top speed in the straight. At the moment my car is setup by the box, and the back end comes loose while accelerating out of this about 150 feet radius turn. Should I get a spool for the front end?

Last edited by ttr; 04-20-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

The Protoform Alfa has very good aerodynamics and is a good choice on very large tracks, but it has a lot of steering which could make it twitchy as there isn't much grip. The stratus is well balanced and stable so should be a good choice when the grip isn't so good. The Pform Vectra (Vauxhall/Opel) is popular in the UK becasue it's a compromise between the Alfa and the Stratus, it is good at high speed yet remains stable and has a good balance.
Hope it gives you some ideas
Old 04-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Your track sounds like a good one for a spool,As far as rear traction goes their are a few things you can try(notice I said try)You can change your rear camber links,move it to 3/B,if you need more foward traction move the ball stud on the shock tower to hole #2,this will keep the roll down.You can also try changing the rear shock position,(on the top)Try moving your shocks to the outside(more straight up).Rear pivot blocks,try the 2R that should increase rear traction.You can also increase the rear bite by moving the rear arms foward,I run mine in the center and just play with the rear shocks and rear pivot blocks to increase rear traction.You can also change rear springs and oil wt.But remember when you change the rear traction you will have a change in the way your car steers.Just make one change at a time and have someone time/watch your car,just because your car looks fast to you does not mean it's fast on the clock.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:57 PM
The Evicerator

AssociatedRacer

Hey is it true that this is a MOD car, not really a stock racing car?

Also another question, how does this car preform out of box at socal?

thnx

Well, I won the ROAR nats in stock with the Losi xxx-s so maybe that will help answer your question? Being as that most other cars are significantly UNDER weight out of the box, it can make it seem that the car isn't on par with others... basically ya just have to do your homework and put in a little elbow grease and I think you'll see that the car is VERY formidable...
Old 04-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I personally think the car is better in mod, BUT is also a very good stock car. As for your set up at SoCal I cannot help. I only run carpet with foams.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Base setup for high speed track?

Originally posted by ttr
The racing line on our new track is about 1500 feet long, the lap times are around 30 sec in 12T modified class on rubber. I have the only Losi at the track and I need a basic setup to begin with. What sedan body is best for high speed tracks? The track is smooth but slippy because of the dust blown on by the sometimes strong wind. The layout is like the F1 layout at Indy, very long straight followed by a wide banked oval (not full speed, must be very cautious to) after that a twisty and slippy but wide infield and an opening wide turn (not banked). This last turn si very important to get the top speed in the straight. At the moment my car is setup by the box, and the back end comes loose while accelerating out of this about 150 feet radius turn. Should I get a spool for the front end?

nice track, the only thing i could probably add is for you add sway bars, seems like you may need it at the banked corner... also the stratus would be in my opinion the way to go... or even the CLK DTM if your track is really high speed...
Old 04-21-2003, 02:43 AM
ttr
Tech Apprentice

Default My weird idea

I think the most important parts on my track are the two big left turns. What if I would try some kind of oval setup? Let's say some light touch of an oval setup? They seem to be very fast in left turns Only problem is that I have no idea of any oval setup tips for 4wd touring cars. Anybody racing oval with the Losi?
Old 04-21-2003, 04:42 AM
Tech Addict

We used to race on a speed skating oval with an asphalt infield, by the sound of things very similar to your description. We ran foam tyres so I can only suggest something we have tried.

A little more negative camber on one side of the car, just .5 or 1 degree more on the side that loads up on the high speed turn. We just had a race meet at a very abrasive track with several high speed right hand corners and this adjustment on the left(from back of car) made the tyres wear much more evenly.

Perhaps going back to the standard kit setup and adjusting things as recommended in the manual for the result you're after(Wish I'd taken my manual with me the other weekend, these things happen)

I ran the Stratus 2.0 on a high speed track. I think the Protoform 300m would be slipperier but it's not legal for your sanctioned racing in the US is it?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default my xxx-s

I just want to share my pic with fellow xxx-s fella's ....
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-xxx-s.jpg  
Old 04-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my $.02 worth, all corners are important, find a balance for all corners, not just the 2 left handers... finding the balance is the 24 million dollar question...

-- try moving front shocks inward, for your car to have more side bite...
Old 04-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

does anyone know where i can get a red screw set for the xxx-s?
thanks
Old 04-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

what gearing should i use on a big track with a 10x3 i have a 122 spur?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Angry Rear HubS????

Is anyone else out there busting a lot of rear hubs??? I don't really hit stuff that hard but I've gone through a mess of rear hubs. Just wanted to see if it's just me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.