Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post stsnlst

Iv'e ran both bigger spur and smaller spur, smaller to me felt better in mid range and late top end.,, bigger spur, more bottom end and higher top end, mid range dropped off abit... also depends on car.... I over gear everything!! and still am able to run in top of class.........my 2 cent's.....
Old 02-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Company Representative

This gear thing is interesting. My take on this is that a smaller spur/pinion combo will produce more torque due to the rotating forces on the gears. Lets go way extreme to make the point. A 80/20 combo results in a 4:1 FDR. A 400/100 combo would produce the same FDR, but would require a lot more power to make the wheels turn due to their size, hence the smaller combo would produce more punch than the large combo. Correct me if I'm wrong here, LOL.

Gary
Old 02-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Default Big Gears / Little Gears

I would challenge anybody that can really see a motor performance difference between a 118 spur and a 128 spur gear using the same exact rollout (which isn't really possible). The major benefit to various spur gear sizes are to reach a specific rollout that can't be duplicated with other spur gears as well as the placement of the weight of the motor.

If you really want to split hairs, using a larger spur gear / pinion gear combo can have slightly less friction as larger gears of the same pitch can mesh more easily with less friction upon gear tooth engagement. But then again, larger gears are slightly heavier in mass as well. But when compared to the overall rotating mass of the drivetrain (including the heaviest part: the wheels), the spur gear weight is negligible.

Personally, I like the biggest spur gear that I can get cause it seems to provide the most rollout options. Bigger does "feel" like the larger gear has more leverage against the drivetrain. But again remember that you will be using a larger pinion as well which lessens the leverage of the motor verses the drivetrain too. So its really a wash.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

They way I look at it is the bigger the gear with a given ratio it will have more punch. With the smaller spur the car never really seems to get out of the corner but once you put a larger spur on with the same final drive ratio the car seems to launch harder out of the corner.....and I dont think its faster out of the hole b/c the motor is moved a little further back now b/c of the larger spur. Yes a ratio is a ratio but if say you take your car with one set final ratio and it covers say 100 ft in 3 seconds with a speed of say 35mph at the end of the 100ft with a larger spur, then try a smaller spur at the same final drive and it covers the same 100ft in 3 seconds but does it at a top speed of 40mph at the end which one is faster? They both went the same distance in the same amount of time but one did it with a higher finishing speed. So what does it mean? Maybe at 50ft the larger spur was at a higher top speed then the smaller spur at the same distance so it would be faster there. This is all speculation on my part but it is what I belive what really happens. The only true way to test all this out is to get a "G-Tech" system for the car and see what its doing at a set distance with the same ratio's but with bigger or smaller spur gears.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Ryan C
Hey all

Got the car now just need a little help.

Can someone post the web address for the losi site that tells you how to adjust ride height, droop and tweak. from the losi site for the xxxs i cant seem to find it..

Thanks All..

Ryan
TEAMLOSI.COM
Old 02-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Talking spur's!!

what really matter's is what work's best at any given track.what work's best for some might not work for other's. NO 2 motor's are the same even if the lable's are, and if your car run's well and your buddy has the same car with some drag in it, then the out come will be diffrent..how ever it goes, I still burn motors and have no drag in my driveline........car xxx-s..
Old 02-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Talking adjust!!

Originally posted by Ryan C
Hey all

Got the car now just need a little help.

Can someone post the web address for the losi site that tells you how to adjust ride height, droop and tweak. from the losi site for the xxxs i cant seem to find it..

Thanks All..

Ryan
ride height adjust shock collars,droop adjust droop screws under chasis and use droop gauge,.tweak, balance out car afterride height by adjusting shock collars criscross from eachother(right rear/left front)..to your desired preferance...

Last edited by mb racer; 02-04-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:43 AM
Tech Champion

nice input. I mostly change spur gears when running stock motors to get the final drive ratio that I want. I haven't run my Losi with anything smaller than a 120 spur. I may try the 118 spur soon. I was worried that because of the low tranny ratio I wouldn't have decent punch going that low on the spur gear. Others seem to have done it so I guess I can throw that theory out of the door.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Default Help

I'm putting a XXX-S G+ together right now, I'm bag B and I can't find part number 21. The Belt tensioner arm. Is it in another bag? What color is it? graphite? metal? etc? Any tips? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Im not sure what bag its in but its Alum. and the small white pulley screws on to it.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I found out what it's supposed to look like.. but it's no where to be found. How is Losi's service? if I call them will they overnight me the part?

-Leon
Old 02-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

I dont know if they will overnight you the part but Im sure that they will get you out what is missing no problem. Where did you buy your kit from? If you bought it from your LHS just have them replace it and have them get the part from Losi. If you bought it mail order call Losi direct and get it shipped out to you. Thats a bummer that its missing.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

I can't believe I got the dud of all the kits... well there was only that one kit left at the store. Damn it I was hoping to run it this weekend. I might just have to buy one.

-Leon
Old 02-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Guys for all your input, guess I'll try a bigger spur and see what happens.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have my G+ all together but the shocks, I too was missing a small part (axle shim
) But I just made a trip to the shop and bought a set of Associated shims.....

I must say I was disappionted in a few things... I thought the kit ncluded the standard rear hubs along with the off-set? I probably am mistaken......

Also the left over from the machining to that chassis made it look pretty crappy..... but about 2 minutes with afile ad it looks sweet....LOL

Just little things, nothing major...

Pick up my 3300's today or tommorrow and I'm off to the races on saturday......

Where should I start with shock oil and springs for carpet (New Ozite, very smooth, mugen 37/42's)

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.