Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Looks like he ran it with out the spur gear cover, most people don't use it anyway, but one run thats preaty dirty. It will look like that after awhile.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by teamAE
Looks like he ran it with out the spur gear cover, most people don't use it anyway, but one run thats preaty dirty. It will look like that after awhile.
funny thing it was on it the cover that is. both front and back where like this plus the shocks i have never see a car look like this for one run (ON CARPET) i didnt know if there was a secret hole some where that let this much dirt in some where
LOL
Old 01-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default Re: Graphite Plus?

Originally posted by timc

Is it worth it to just get the whole new car. I really want the new front bumper which I have not been able to find. It sounds like the new rear hub is mostly for carpet, which I do not run on.

So are there really any other reasons to step up to the new car?
I have the part A4236 which I believe is suppose to be the old bumper but that is the part number listed in the G+ kit manual. It is made of different material than my older ones. There was also a change where the droop screws go in. I wish I had a picture to show you but I don't.

The part number A4237 is the extra rigid bumper. Is that the one you are looking for?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm looking for the new rigid one that holds droop position better. Not sure if there's a new part # or not.

Last edited by timc; 01-24-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

KO Racer-when the carpet gets dirty-you can easily have a car that dirty in one run!! Trust me!!!! Also-just a few laps with the diff cover or even the spy hole off and filthy!!!

And last -check how much goo is pressed into the pulleys and belt-thats more telling.

Hope that helps.

And KRAIG-yup Todd said a month ago or so that some part numbers wont change on the G+-it'll just be a running change.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by rayhuang
KO Racer-when the carpet gets dirty-you can easily have a car that dirty in one run!! Trust me!!!! Also-just a few laps with the diff cover or even the spy hole off and filthy!!!

And last -check how much goo is pressed into the pulleys and belt-thats more telling.

Hope that helps.

And KRAIG-yup Todd said a month ago or so that some part numbers wont change on the G+-it'll just be a running change.
ok i will take your word it i just havent seen a car that dirty after just one run. and i have unsealed drive train most of the time .this is the first sealed car i have had. and im liking it very well
Old 01-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

I've never had a car quite THAT bad after one run, but pretty close. With foam tires, and a track that hasn't been cleaned in awhile, it gets dirty quick. I like the idea of a sealed drivetrain keeping dirt out of stuff... but if dirt does get in, it has no way to escape. This week I took my car apart, and cleaned out all the bearings. I couldn't beleive how much crap was just packed into the backs of the diff covers! It was pretty disgusting
Old 01-24-2003, 12:26 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I dunno... I've run an XXX-S on carpet for a year and a half now, without ever giving it a *thorough* cleaning, and the drivetrain has still never been that dirty.

On the other hand, I suppose anything's possible!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

futureal, do you run your bearings with the shields/seals on or off? Mine are all off, and I think that might be where alot of the tire dust/traction compound/carpet fiber stuff comes in. I've only had the car about 6 weeks now, I always have the spur cover and the yellow plug in.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Regional Moderator

Its wild to see this much dirt"crap" in a car .
i got this thing at 10 am today via postal service and been working from the time i opened the box on it. but foresure it will be in top cond when im done. i had to take a shop vac to my desk to get all the dirt off it from taking it apart

but i still like this xxxs car
Old 01-24-2003, 01:20 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by JeffC
futureal, do you run your bearings with the shields/seals on or off? Mine are all off, and I think that might be where alot of the tire dust/traction compound/carpet fiber stuff comes in. I've only had the car about 6 weeks now, I always have the spur cover and the yellow plug in.
I always keep the cover and plug in, and I have kept the seals on the diff housing bearings (which are the ones I assume you are talking about). So yea, maybe that is the difference.

I haven't bothered taking the seals off of many of my bearings since they need to be replaced anyway. When I build my G+ car -- if I ever get around to it -- I will take the seals off of those.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I take the shields off. Just one side though, and that side put facing on the inside of the hubs/diff cases. That way they stay clean for a while.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

timc, the 4236 is the original one and they must have changed the material. The 4237 is the new extra rigid one. I should have those in by the middle or the end of next week.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default Dust where it shouldn't be

The XXX-S can be very well sealed but there's a few areas that you have to be careful with to keep it that way. Obviously one is the rubber plug. If you don't have it in there, dirt will get inside. Secondly, the lexan spur cover. I've found that great care is needed when cutting this out. If you don't follow the lines just right, it opens the door for dust and dirt to get in there. Even when you cut it right, If its not screwed down good, dust still gets between the chassis and the cover seal and works its way in there. But alot of people (including myself..too lazy as of late) cut out small openings to run the wires to the battery throught the cover. It's not much of an opening but enough to really dirty up the drivetrain.

I see guy's cars that remain practically spotless for quite some time. But one thing I've noticed is that they run their wires over the top instead of through that cover. I wanted the wires down low. But once we started running foam on a regular basis, my drivetrain is getting dirty as well. I think over the top is the way to go.

Bearings - I think its a good idea to leave at least the outside shields on your bearings. Especially the diff bearings. It takes very little time for enough dust and dirt to get into an open bearing and really add rolling resistance to your tranny. I think you'll find that your car will really free up with just half the shields off all the bearings facing the middle or sealed area of the car. Open bearings can and will let dirt into the sealed tunnel of the car.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I go over the cover with mine and it's always stayed clear and see through. Other guys at the track that run the wire's through the cover have foam tire dust on the inside. Some guys look like they drilled the holes out with a body reamer so the holes are HUGE and the cover is almost black. I haven't taken the shields off of my G+ yet but (IMO) the bearings seem to bee better than the teflon bearings that came with the previous car. Is it just me or are others finding this out to be true? Bottom line is that the car is awesome and with info being thrown around here and Matt Francis just a hop skip and a jump from my house I should be National Champ sometime soon...lol

Dave K- Thanks for helping us out with the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.