Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

The tweak is fine but the front+back spring balance is off. I've tried blues and silvers at the back but it doesn't get enough grip and I have to conteract this by having stiff springs up front. I normally run oranges or pinks at the back and blue in the front but this seems to suddenly break traction in the middle of a corner, possibly due to too much body roll

I have been running it overdriven but it's back to normal now, I think I'll try purple or green front springs and lay down the rear shocks with silver springs. 60wt front+back.

I have been using 70wt oil, last week I changed down to 40wt, do you think this could be the cause of the problems?

I wish I could remember my set-up from a couple of months ago, it was dialed (sort of) but I've lost it now so I'll start again and work from there. I know it's not a good idea to change loads of things at one time but oh well

Thanks for the help

Has anyone tried rear hinge pin blocks on the front (outer ones)?
Old 10-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

While I remember, what should I set the end points to on my steering (or what should the gap between spindle and carrier be at full lock)? I know that there is a point where more travel just scrubs speed.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

i've glued a .030" washer to the steering knuckle and use that as a steering stop/guide for setting servo travel.

it gives me enough steering travel, and is also an easy way to get cars left + right turning circles the same.

Last edited by tones; 10-09-2002 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

50wt and blue springs (green if you need faster rotation)
Old 10-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the advice, I have my end points at about the same place
Shrekair, I'll go for 60wt oil to slow the reaction a little, the track is also smooth. I'll experiment in the heats with springs, silver-blue, blue-green/purple etc.

do you think that by using a short camber link and leaned in shocks with stiffer (silver/blue rather than orange/pink) springs will give good side bite?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:05 PM
TLRacing

Yellow Belt-I know someone asked about the differences of the yellow belt. The difference is the belt plastic material is acutally harder but has less chording vs. the blue belt. When you first feel the belt it does feel softer. After you run it you notice more rip. The reason the belt was mad stiffer was to eliminate tooth deflection which will hurt efficiency and power. The reason the belt feels softer is because it has less chording.

Release date on XXX-SG-Suppose to be late November.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

i'm waiting for mine! seems like a good time to start over.

louisb - todge and myself conversed about this shortly and in conclusion, lighter shock oil generaly give your more traction on asphalt, and less on carpet and vice cersa for heavier oil. for me when on carpet, lighter shock oil (40 wt) makes the car feel more responsive, faster react, and it helps in lower traction situations. where heavier oil doesnt allow the suspension to compress in low traction situations. and the car becomes skiddish. but under high traction situations, heavier oil helps the car dig in better by holding it flatter on reaction, that and more traction = more reaction to me atleast. i personally (on carpet that is) like blue/blue or green/blue (f/r). and i normally start w/ 50 wt.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Do you know if Team Losi would ever release a Woven graphite material chassis?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:19 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I doubt Losi themselves would release something like that. While an open-drivetrain design on the XXX-S would be interesting to see, I don't think that it would give a significant performance advantage over the stock graphite chassis.

To make something like that work, it would have to be a combination of lower plate, upper deck, and aluminum bulkheads for the front, rear, and motor mount. That's an awful lot of design effort, I would think.

Still, I wouldn't put it past somebody. Give it enough time and somebody just might come out with a conversion kit.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Carpet Setup

I just brought a Losi and would any of you guys have a good setup for a carpet track. I know this question been asked quite a few time but I don't feel like reading through all the 135 pages.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just to be sure ...

I will be setting my LOSI to race on asphalt ... what combination of shock oil and springs do you all suggest (and reasons if possible) ?

Thanks all for your efforts ...
Old 10-11-2002, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Okay dude , one last time.....you asked this question before and got tons of answers.
front: 57 pistons/40wt oil/blue springs
rear: 56 pistons/40wt oil/blue springs

Go with it!

If not experiment like all of us have done.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

It is true that I asked the same question before ... but this time I wanted some reasons why this setup is used ! Was I asking too much ?

Do you know of a shop (website) in UK that sells a complete set of shock springs for the LOSI ?

Thanks for your support and sorry if I am asking too much questions ...
Old 10-11-2002, 06:59 AM
OBY
Tech Apprentice

www.apexmodels.com

www.modelsportuk.com

LouisB: your rear springs are too soft, i've found in alot of cases going harder on the rear springs gives more rear traction.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:02 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by futureal
I doubt Losi themselves would release something like that. While an open-drivetrain design on the XXX-S would be interesting to see, I don't think that it would give a significant performance advantage over the stock graphite chassis.

To make something like that work, it would have to be a combination of lower plate, upper deck, and aluminum bulkheads for the front, rear, and motor mount. That's an awful lot of design effort, I would think.

Still, I wouldn't put it past somebody. Give it enough time and somebody just might come out with a conversion kit.
I beleive the Prototype had the woven graphite layout. I have an image of the prototype at home that i can post later tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.