Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Todge: seems i might have been expecting it to be a bit of a hassle when in reality it maybe isnt that big a deal. thanks as always for the advise!
Old 09-11-2002, 05:19 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Traveling with RC Stuff
Old 09-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Default XXXS Set-ups with a twist!!!

OKay guys, Nitro season is over for me (thank goodness for that!!!) and its time to hit the Carpet with the foam tires on!!!

My question is this. I have two XXXS Graphite cars. One is race ready with front and rear low rollcenters. This one is my stock motor only car. Set-up is very much a standard Carpet/Foam set-up with two diffs.

Car #2 will be for Mod and sometimes stock. Heres the issue. I have low roll center in back, but am confused on where to start for Mod up front. I have read low, high and everything inbetween is Dialed on carpet/mod!! What are your guys consensus on a starting point, given the rear low roll center.
Also-if you have a particular reason why you think this particular roll center combo works best.

Other tid-bits. Set-up is very similar to Spashett and Kinwalds 2001 US Indoor Champs set-up as well as Rob Love's Ultra set-up.

Last edited by rayhuang; 09-11-2002 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Ray- On the roll center issue. I don't think there is a correct answer. The difference between HRC & LRC or MidRC is mostly how the car feels to you. Some people like the car with HRC and others like LRC. I resently saw a post from Todd H. and he said that the Losi team was divided on how they run the car, Matt runs HRC, Paul runs LRC, Todd runs Mid front LRC rear. The bottom line is that I believe you need to be prepared to run the car both ways and find what you like the best. For me I have liked LRC better on carpet, I have been running MRC in the front lately and really like the feel I get.

Chad
Old 09-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Default Ahhh-The oys of two cars!!

ChadK-Thanks-hence the reason I bought two cars!!! Makes testing back to back easier!! But I havent driven indoors in months so was looking to cheat and steal a set-up ......

I was afraid you'd say it's all personal preference!!!

I tried it with High roll center on Carpet and asphalt and loved it!! But that was 5 or 6 months ago. Set-ups have evolved so much since then!!!

Thanks again,
Ray
Old 09-11-2002, 01:42 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hey All,

Here's the latest installment in my war report:

We had our first race indoors this past sunday. The store next to the hobby shop was complaining of noise from the nitro cars so he had to end it early. Any way, I was hoping to run the new 2400 packs I bought but they still haven't come in. Has a lot of us worried too as this was a big deal on Ebay.

I charged up the 3000 NiMH pack I had made by racers edge (we only run stick unmatched pack, 19turn spec class) and set the fastest lap time on a very tight track. (11.7 seconds). the next heat I went on to set the track record at 25 laps, and I managed to stay a consistent 12.5 and below seconds per lap times.

The final race, I choked I ended up using the gearing from my previous race with my 3000s (I went up about three teeth since I wanted more speed) and I forgot that the 3000s I ran the first time would be punchier the second, and I got nervous too. So I ended up getting dead last as midway through the race my transponder broke free and went into my cvds. OUCH! All in all a good day of racing.

The issue I have is this, I was running the following:

- 26mm foams trued down, same purple compound all around via TRC
- 2 degree kickup
- stock pistons
- associated white springs up front, losi silvers in the rear
- 80 weight up front, 30 weight in the rear
- battery pack positioned towards the rear of the vehicle

with this setup and my car being lower to the ground thanks to trued tires I had a slight case of traction roll still. I am looking into getting the following:

- 4 degree castor blocks.

how much of a difference will I notice with these mounted and everything else (including the kickup) being the same? I figure if I can dial out that last bit of traction roll I will be all set, and I also like the idea of being able to run the same compound of tires front and rear so switching to a firmer compound up front is a last resort option.

Thanks,

Cain
Old 09-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Cain-Is this indoor racing on Ozite carpet?
Old 09-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am not sure the actual brand name of the carpet. It is a dark grey, not like close to black mind you, but a dark grey. the compounds that really hook up are purple's and pinks. Actually the only thing that sucks on them seems to be blues, but other than that everything seems to hook up well.

My main thing is to keep the same compound setup, just adjust things on the car. If adding more castor will do it I am all in!

One more thing, what exactly will a sway bar do if I add it to say the front of my car?
Old 09-11-2002, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Your setup is radically different from what most people run with foam on carpet, I'm not saying that is bad. But usually this car is run somewhere in this range on carpet:
Front
spring=Losi black or Trin congo
oil=60-100wt
kickup=0deg
caster=4deg

Rear
spring=Losi purple range
Oil=60-100wt

Almost everyone runs different front tires either Plaid or dl purple. Sway bars will reduce the chassis roll of the end of the car you run them on, which should give that end of the car a little less grip. I think you should take one of the carpet foam setups from the Losi site and start there.

Chad
Old 09-11-2002, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Todd Hodge - can you say what the handling difference is with the new rear arms w/ the different hinge pin location by the hub?
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Info From the Stockton Carpet Track:

http://www.riponspeedway.com/Page.cfm

9-9-02

Carpet schedule updated. Our first race is on the night of Wednesday, October 16th. Note that foam tires will be allowed in the modified and 19T touring car classes... :-) but not in the stock touring car classes :-| See ya on the rug!!!

Foam!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 11:07 PM
Tech Regular

Ah...The Rug.......instant traction.......gotta love it!
Old 09-12-2002, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Arrow Inquiry!!!

Hey guys,

I am looking to pick up something a lot of us could use, but is hard to find. Could you guys look here and leave your comments? I already got a price and availibility is no problem.

Thanks,
Ray

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&threadid=7951
Old 09-12-2002, 11:10 AM
OBY
Tech Apprentice

i can confirm the TiR screws are 2mm heads, and the right length. i started using a cheap 2mm driver, and stripped it and a few screws, ordered a hudy driver, and phoned TiR, got replacements for nothing along with a nice sticker sheet, and a new CVD coupling which had a fault from the factory, very good service.

the losi screws are easy, i'm screwing them into a brand new graphite chassis, which is VERY tough, after using the tapping screw and applying a dab of losi white grease to the Ti screws, they go on no problem...

you all just need some common sense!

full report on how the Ti screws, graphite kit, carbon fibre shock towers and Ti driveshafts go when i get home on monday night!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Todd,hows it going? I am going to be running a xxx-s w/foam tires at the octoberfast race,could you post a general starting point set-up.Thanks alot. P.S are you going to attend this race,if not see you at Cleveland!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.