Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by PorscheSuperCup
Jared I feel I have a pretty good setup on the car for my track. I have asked others here at the track and they say the car is hooked.

I realize that I shouldnt hit stuff....that comes without anyone pointing that out... but the carrier should NOT break on a brush against a pipe. I break 90% of them just brushing along side a pipe on our track during a race. Our track is ALWAYS a tight and technical track with the lanes sometimes being less than 10 ft wide. I just cant believe that this should be happening.
porsche, you forgot to point out that our track is almost bullet-proof. 4" schedule 40 PVC pipes outline every lane. This track is not forgiving on any car. You don't go hoping in the air nor bouncing off a wall. Below is a pic of our track.

Last edited by webspinner; 06-03-2002 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Default carriers for the XXXS

porsche, okay, tsr6 has a point and I've been thinking about your issue since we left the track. I don't want to sound like a smart *ss either but staying off the walls is going to be the best answer to your carrier breaking problem. Okay, we all know that. Now, you need to get rid of all that matt francis front bumper and front bumper brace/brp bull-shyt. If you study your car you'll see that the front bumper flexes when impacted therefore that create a "give" to the car. Kinda like having a big *ss sponge double-sided taped to your front bumper-you with me? Would you like for me to hit you in the head with 2 pillows up against it or would you like for me to hit you in the head with no pillows? You with me? Okay now that the bumper issue is solved lets talk about carriers. What would save your carriers. 1) put the losi bumper back on the car with NO brace-again, you need that give. 2)practice more on passing traffic rather than full balls everywhere(this probally should be #1). Try the aluminum stuff. You might start breaking arms but guess what, them arms have more meat on them than the carriers do. You follow these suggestions and I bet you you wont be breaking parts as fast as you are now. Again, I don't mean to sound objectively. Brandon, I ran my XXXS today, ooops, i mean yesterday and I didn't break 1 part on it. I run the Losi bumper and I'll tell you this, I broke 2 carriers back in April and May after I installed the MF bumper and brace-that's why you see my MF bumper and brace being used as an armature stand. We'll work on it Brandon. Hey! I got all the pix of every racer and his pit saved to disk. We need to hook up so we can get them on the website. Later.

Last edited by webspinner; 06-02-2002 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Porsche:

I too have had problems with rear carriers breaking on what seemed like a minor brush with the boards.

I figured out that previous harder collisions with the boards had actually done the damage - cracking the outer area around the hinge pin. Enough fatigue and then the smaller collisions complete the separation.

Still, I've only broken 3 rear carriers in 3 months of driving the XXX-S.

I run the BRP bumper up front and have never broken a front carrier.

Joe

Last edited by yokomojo; 06-02-2002 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

yokomojo, sounds like your hitting the rear end of the car also, not the front of the car. Man we have over 16 racers in stock and half of them are novice drivers. Our track in not forgiving whatsoever. You got boards outlining your track, we got boards outlining ever lane. Porshce doesn't need to be spending anothing $7 or $8 dollars on another brace because that will only discourage the newcomer out of the hobby. Not everyone can afford a new bumper every race day. But you are right on how they will protect the carriers unless that bumper is broke. The BRP bumper is okay but that Matt Francis bumper and brace has gots to go(especially if you run a 1-way.)
Old 06-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

That Matt Francis bumper is more dense than the losi bumper which inturn gives less "give" to the car in collisions.

Brandon, you still got that pic of that HPI ureathane bumper I gave you-that's the good stuff-it's real plush.

Last edited by webspinner; 06-02-2002 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Porsche, would you like for your car to hit a board head on with a bumper that has no give to it or one that has alot of give to it?
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-bumper2.jpg  

Last edited by webspinner; 06-02-2002 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:38 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I've already busted the left side of that bumper. Its a BRP bumper made for the TC3 that I modified for the Losi (before BRP started making the bumper for XXX-S).

The BRP bumper is brittle, but it saved me some damage to the front end as I was learning to drive the car.

I've been running with the Trinity bumper for the TC3.

Pics here.
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-xxxsfronta.jpg  
Old 06-02-2002, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

And the missing chunk . . .
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-losixxxsb.jpg  
Old 06-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Thanks yokomojo, nice work Those pics will help out PorscheSuperCup with a better understanding of how soft that front end needs to be.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: STLNLST

Originally posted by TSR6

My suggestion is don't hit stuff. I know im being a smart-ass, but you said "ANY" suggestions.

I've broken a total of 1 spindle, 2 carriers, and one suspension arm, and ive had the car since it came out. I personally dont see durability as an issue.

I had major car-in-wall problems last saturday ( mr losi and futureal will agree.. ) and i only broke a suspension arm, when the car caught an edge of a board on the backstretch... major ouch... but its all good.
Not as simple as don't hit anything if you're side swiped, pushed into the wall, etc, etc. It's always the front C hub/carrier. If other things broke on my car then I can say Ok maybe it's not a weak part, but it's always the C hub. This is the reason I'm seriously considering getting rid of the car.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:40 AM
ttr
Tech Apprentice

Don't tell me that I can not drive a car, and don't tell me that you never make errors. Let me tell you I have won for two years two local nats. I am the type one who invites spectators to drive a car (not the Losi) and get more people in the hobby. I admit that sometimes I brush the corners, the tracks are sometimes dusty and bumpy. Before I have broken only two times a part in my old cars in a race heat, and those were nasty collisions.

Yes it is always the front C hub carrier. I suspect that it has a design or manufacturing flaw. Losi should admit that the part is bad. HPI had the same problem with the Pro 3 but they redesigned the part 3 times to make it better and customers got the replacement parts for free.

Last Nats. race I broke 2 front carriesr, all other Losi drivers broke 2 or 3, all Losi drivers were out of race by the end of the day with broken cars. Sometimes tt was impossible not to touch the corners because the wind was very strong and put dust on the prepared track. I broke one carrier just by brushing the fire hose. OK, you can say the part was already broken before. I replaced it. I did not hit anything. One light brush with the hose at low speed and that's it, again a broken C hub. We compared the broken parts, about 15 pcs, and they were all very similar, this must be definitly a manufacturing flaw, there is a tension inside the part. Interestingly NO other parts were broken.

The Xray, Schumacher, HPI and TC3 drivers were laughing on us. They visited us in the pits to make jokes on the Losi. Loudly. I fear that the local distributor will not carry on the Losi after this. Not to say that after the first qualifier runs all other drivers recognized the vulnerability of the Losi cars and tried to lightly push the Losis to the fire hoses and our cars were finished out.

Now I will try to cook the front carriers in boiling water. I don't know if it works, I just heard about it, I was told it may make some plastic less stiff.

I have built a good working font bumper what saves the car in any frontal accident if you hit a standing broken car at full speed in the main straight. But it does not help if I lightly touch the side of the car.

I feel very frustrated with the car now, I had to think about customer support before I decided to change for Losi this year. The car may be more tunable than my old car, but the Losi customer support and quality assurance is zero zero. Just look at the quality of their web site, it tells you all. Customer support begins at the point where a manufaturer admits a flaw, and begins to search for a solution. I had to recognize that Losi is still more interested in trucks and buggies than touring cars.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:11 AM
OBY
Tech Apprentice

i have had this problem, i've not sorted it for good using some aluminium hub carriers from fastrax, here's a few pics, they are £15 a pair.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/fast_xxxs.htm
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-ftxs_05.jpg  
Old 06-03-2002, 06:12 AM
OBY
Tech Apprentice

again...
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-ftxs_07.jpg  
Old 06-03-2002, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by PorscheSuperCup
Jared I feel I have a pretty good setup on the car for my track. I have asked others here at the track and they say the car is hooked.

I realize that I shouldnt hit stuff....that comes without anyone pointing that out... but the carrier should NOT break on a brush against a pipe. I break 90% of them just brushing along side a pipe on our track during a race. Our track is ALWAYS a tight and technical track with the lanes sometimes being less than 10 ft wide. I just cant believe that this should be happening.
PorscheSuperCup , I run on the same type track you do. 4" PVC and we use 8" PVC for the outer barriers. I have not broken one hub, though a friend of mine took care of one for me. (DOH) I don't really see to many weak places in this car but it may just be me.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i have been running this car for a year....both on carpet with rubber and foam, pavement, mod, stock.....and i have never broken these parts.....exept when i used tc3 front cariers.....i have not seen these parts break, exept when they should...after a hard hit.....so i dont think the car has a problem.....i think the problem is driver related....or setup related....also, i would not run alumm stuff...it bends and you cant tell......so...if you dont like the car, sell it, get somthing else.....i see tamyia sells tanks, you should not be able to break theese......just my .o2...

thanks mark..i will try it...i was also thinking of adding anti squat ,and tighting the front diff....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.