Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Perfect Trips, thanks for taking the time, that is better then a text picture
Old 03-27-2002, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: new2xxxs wowes.

Originally posted by new2xxxs
Trips, you kinda hit on something that I am not very familiar with. Traction Compound. A guy let me rub my foams with this stuff ("hot setup" - fully soak rears, outside 1/3 fronts - sit for 3 mins). Maybe I don't know what I am doing - ok I don't, but with this setup I had to have 2 laps on the car to get it to hook up, very unpredicatable. Is that the desired effect? should I set my car up so it works for the first 2 laps? No one at the track could answer my questions. All the xxxs runners were just copying setups on the internet and couldn't explain any advantages of their setups. I did have the single fastest xxxs time of the night, but as I said before, no consistancy (new driver to TC).
What we do is dope the full rear tire and the INSIDE 1/3 to 1/2 of the front tire. If yuou're doping the outer portion of the front you'll get into some weird car behavior. What happens is that as the car leans into the corner, it gets onto the outer portion of the tire, by doping only the inner portion you get a predictable response near the limit, the grip just sort of tapers off as the car leans onto the outer portion. If you've got the outer portion of the front doped, I'd expect the car to initiate the turn smoothly, maybe even a bit lazily, then "grab" in front around mid corner or so. This might be what you're running into. Once the front end grabs hard, you may get a sudden oversteer, or it might kill your corner speed, making it feel like the car is "stalling". Another symptom to look for is that your car "finishes" the turn before you expect it to and rather than getting a nice smooth arc on the exit your car just points right down the straight after the corner, and exits with little or no speed.

More on traction compounds... I like to dope the tires maybe a twenty or twenty five minutes before I'm going to run, then wipe it off five or ten minutes before the run. If I'm using the same set of tires all day I'll leave it on for less time as in the later runs, and wipe a bit earlier. Also, when I put my car down for the run, I'll set it on the carpet and hold it by the back of the body and roll it back and forth a few times while sliding it side to side. You'll feel the rears kind of go from slippery to grippy when you do this, then you're set to go. It shouldn't take a few laps for the car to come in if you do this. Some tracks have a separate patch of carpet near the track for just this purpose.

Trips
Old 03-27-2002, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: More xxxs stuff

Originally posted by new2xxxs
About the track - Small, carpet. No idea how to compare it for traction. Other racers tell me its high traction. Some mod guys with bad setups were rolling over in the corners. Kinda funny. It did have a darker grove in the line were people drive. "blue grove" in dirt, not sure if that means the same.

Sounds like a high grip track all right... Do your tires come off the track after a run with sticky residue on them? You might want to clean them before the next run as traction compound buildup can have you chasing the setup all day.

I will probably be racing at tracks in southern new england, NY/NJ area. I live in RI, and I think RC Madness (Enfield, CT.) is the closest decent track.

There's also Big Boys Toys in Taunton, MA, should be a lot closer to you than Madness. The regional championships are there the weekend of April 6 and 7.

http://www.bigboystoysracing.com

Has anyone raced at Madness? got good xxxs setup for there asphalt track? I was going to start with what I have, and if what I have is aweful, I was planning on using one of the team setups to start. Not sure if they run foam or rubber outside. Even if they did, I am still not sure what to do. I would think rubber has less friction (faster), but less grip in the corners (slower). But I have to get on the track and drive.

I run at Madness in the summer, I race both there and at American Raceway in Englishtown, NJ. Probably more often at Englishtown, because it's a shorter drive and both tracks are great. Madness runs rubber tires outdoors, I've had good results with TakeOff and Sorex there. My rubber setup for Madness is very similar to my carpet setup, except with lighter springs and oil.

Maybe I'll stop in to the NY track, if its in the South East side of NY, anyway. Buffalo would be too far for a club race.

South Shore Hobbies is in Patchogue, NY. You might get there easiest by taking the ferry from CT to Port Jefferson, then it's probably less than a half hour drive to the track. They're moving to the north side of Long Island in a couple of weeks, they'll be one town or so over from Port Jeff then. Hope to meet you there someday.
Trips
Old 03-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My first asphalt race of the year is this weekend. Hopefully all goes well. I plan on playing around with the pit tire's. How do they hold up and what temp should certain compounds be used?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

stnlst...i found that the sorex 36 works great from track temps of 50 deg to 150.....i always use these tires...
Old 03-28-2002, 01:09 AM
Tech Adept

Mr. Losi:

I agree - the Sorex 36s rock. I use the HPI green inserts for stock racing.

What's your experience with inserts?

YJ
Old 03-28-2002, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Parking Lot Tire Combos

So I presume you guys are using Sorex 36s for parking lot racing? Do you always use HPI Green Inserts all the way around? We are getting ready to start parking lot and we usually run Pro-Line H13s. But I am always looking for a much better tire/insert combo. Any more input would be great.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by mr. losi
stnlst...i found that the sorex 36 works great from track temps of 50 deg to 150.....i always use these tires...
I know that the Sorex tire works but I'm asking about the pits. I have unlimited access to the Sorex tire's. I just want to try something different.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Newbie to TC rubber tires but upon the advice and observation of others, I have been using HPI X- patts on dusty parking lots and Yokomo 138s'(and the Sorex')They have been working on tracks like this along with green or blue HPI inserts.
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-102-0247_img.jpg  

Last edited by MDM3; 03-28-2002 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

STLNLST

I really like the Pit Shimizu tires. They work great on asphalt and carpet and they seem to be very consistant as the track changes throughout the day. I run 24's all around with Echo red inserts up front and Echo yellows in back. That combo is great on the carpet at Stockton and asphalt. As temps increase toward summer, I plan to go to the 27's.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

Default sorex

Since we seem to be on the subject of tires. Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy the sorex tires from online?? Also you guys are liking HPI Green inserts but on what wheels? I notice that Orion now has soft, hard and extra hard wheels. I'm thinking about starting with the hard since it's right in the middle.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

For those who have the front 1 way. When you spin the front wheels, do you hear clicking sounds?
Old 03-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sydewynder: yes, I hear a slight clicking sound also....
Old 03-28-2002, 03:31 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I will give prizes to whoever can tell me what to do to get rid of all the clicking sounds in the front of my XXX-S. The thing still works great, but man those noises just bug the living heck outta me. I have rebuilt everything, lubed everything that needs to be lubed and so on... with no real success.

On the same topic, has anybody noticed that the replacement axles that come in the CVD sets are actually shorter than the stock ones in the kit? I replaced one of mine, and can no longer use the nifty Yokomo clamp-down hub I used to have on there. Anybody know a way around this?
Old 03-28-2002, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Futureal- replacing the one-way outdrives greatly reduced the clicking noise on mine. On the CVD's let me geuss the ones you bought are alluminum right. Losi put shorter axels in the allum CVD kits to help reduce weight. If you use these with Yok or ACS wheel hexes you will not have a whole lot of tread left.

Chad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.