Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by DennisNyholm
Trips, who are you? I just started racing at SS Hobby a few weeks ago. It is strange to see someone else on here that runs at SS Hobby...small world I guess. I am just starting out and this seems to be the best place to learn while I am not at the track. I'll see you there!!! It looks like we are running a very similar setup...at least now I know I am on the right track. I am just running the TRC Purples in the front and Pinks in the rear...I am switching t othe plaid/ purple this weekend and giving it a shot, everyone seems to be having good luck with it and my traction roll problem is getting to be a pain in the a**. Do you run your battery in the front slot or the back?
Dennis,

I always run the batteries forward in the XXX-S.

I've only been racing at South Shore for a few months, I'd been racing at Bruckner in the Bronx for most of the carpet season. I'll be at South Shore this Friday evening, I'll be racing my XXX-S in stock sedan.

I raced this past Friday and again on Sunday, I Ran my Xray Friday and finished third in the A, then took TQ and the win on Sunday with my XXX-S. I go by "David F" when I'm racing there.

If you're there Friday, come over and say hi...

David
Old 03-27-2002, 06:55 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yokomojo: I would try doing a rebuild on the shock cartrige also...

Use the red seals and some green slime if you have it.....
Old 03-27-2002, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what is the part number for the losi white springs?
Old 03-27-2002, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Tres
yokomojo: I would try doing a rebuild on the shock cartrige also...

Use the red seals and some green slime if you have it.....
Tres:

Good idea. Thanks for the help.

YJ
Old 03-27-2002, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Default Short front shocks

Hey guys...I've got a XXX-S on the way, and it has the standard length threaded shocks in the front...here's the question...
what benefit do you get by using the short front shocks/shafts?

Thanks!!

Ron
Old 03-27-2002, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

You only need the short shocks if you are running the high roll center. If you are running the low roll center then they are not needed. They do not add any perofrmance they just allow you to obtain proper ride height with the high roll center.

Is there some good carpet tracks in Chandler? I have some friends there and I am planning on visiting them in the next couple of months.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Crash...no carpet tracks in AZ at all, unless Gary McAllisters place is still racing up in Flagstaff...There are two HobbyTowns that host Sedan races in their parking lots, and then SRS, where I just started running sedans. SRS is reknowned for the offroad races, but they've got a pretty nice, albeit small IMO, asphalt onroad track now...they only race on friday nights, and then, ONLY Electric and Gas TC's...there MIGHT be some interest in 1/12th scale at some point, and Scott said that if enough people (4) show up, he'll create a class for them there and then...
I went out to see what the cars to have were at SRS a few months ago, and about 80% of the guys had TC3's, and a couple of Yok's, and a couple of XXX-S's...Now it's reversed...the fast guys are all running XXX-S's, a few TC3's, and Yok's, and at the moment, my buddy and I are the only ones out there running Schumacher Axis2's...we've only been out once with them, as we were concentrating on Offroad for the Cactus Classic, and now that it's over, we're trying out hand at TC's. The car's are getting there...we'll be mounting up Sorex 32's this friday, which is what all the fast guys are running, and once we've got the tires on the car, I'm pretty sure I can get them dialed in pretty darn close, but if I can't, I'll have a XXX-S to fall back on. I believe the Axis2's are very nice cars, and I've got a virtual buttload of parts for them. If I can't them to cut the mustard, I'll sell them, and find a XXX-S for my buddy to run as well...I've recently changed over my offroad stock to Losi from Associated, so it follows suit to change the TC too, but at this point I just want to see if I can make the Axis2's competitive with the Losi's...I'm not far off... my buddies a much better driver than I am, and his car had a pretty healthy push to it last week, and he was running laptimes about 1 second slower than the leaders in the A...I think once we get the tires sorted out, and I get rid of his push, I think he'll be right in there...Me on the other hand...nothing is going to help me except practice!

Any other comments or advice would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Ron
Old 03-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can someone explain little more about the .30 washer they are glueing to the spindle to decrease throw? This isn't clicking for me, I need someone to help me with a text picture.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default new2xxxs wowes.

Wow, I never expected this much response.

I am visiting friends in OH, and am racing on a track there. Other racers tell me its a 1/12 track that TC guys run on.

As for gearing/motor, Its a P2k2, with a 22t pinion / 88t spur. I started out with a 26, and was getting my doors blown off, because I am not smooth yet. I wound up down to 22T, and the fastest guy on the track bearly pulls ahead of me. He wouldn't pull ahead of me if I could get out of the tight corners better ( I would then be able to go up on the pinion some).

About changing the shock oil to 70, is that fronts? If I did that in the rear, wouldn't that amplify my probs?

About changing front foams, how could this help with my tire lifting problem? I see your point regarding traction, and I don't think I need to change, I have all the steering I can handle - even dialed a bit out on the Tx.

Trips, you kinda hit on something that I am not very familiar with. Traction Compound. A guy let me rub my foams with this stuff ("hot setup" - fully soak rears, outside 1/3 fronts - sit for 3 mins). Maybe I don't know what I am doing - ok I don't, but with this setup I had to have 2 laps on the car to get it to hook up, very unpredicatable. Is that the desired effect? should I set my car up so it works for the first 2 laps? No one at the track could answer my questions. All the xxxs runners were just copying setups on the internet and couldn't explain any advantages of their setups. I did have the single fastest xxxs time of the night, but as I said before, no consistancy (new driver to TC).

As far as the broken parts that I have seen posted on the site, I didn't break anything. The xxxs is a tank. I had an initial fear based on what I have read, but after a few good licks, my confidence was up. I must have run 15 packs now no probs. Only adjusted the front and rear diffs on the first pack. Thats it. Never touched the thing. I am running the front brace, though. The lexan version, I didn't want to use the carbon one, for fear I would tear off my front end, due to driver error.

Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default More xxxs stuff

About the track - Small, carpet. No idea how to compare it for traction. Other racers tell me its high traction. Some mod guys with bad setups were rolling over in the corners. Kinda funny. It did have a darker grove in the line were people drive. "blue grove" in dirt, not sure if that means the same.

I will probably be racing at tracks in southern new england, NY/NJ area. I live in RI, and I think RC Madness (Enfield, CT.) is the closest decent track. Raced dirt there before, and in my opinion, the have have a huge asphalt track (3xs bigger than dirt), but I haven't seen it all setup.

In reality I don't think I will be running at that same track anymore, but I would still like peoples ideas, so I can try them in the future.

Has anyone raced at Madness? got good xxxs setup for there asphalt track? I was going to start with what I have, and if what I have is aweful, I was planning on using one of the team setups to start. Not sure if they run foam or rubber outside. Even if they did, I am still not sure what to do. I would think rubber has less friction (faster), but less grip in the corners (slower). But I have to get on the track and drive.

I was using proline off set wheels. Had to use the thicker tire adapter that came with the kit. Not sure what the deal is there. One of the guys in modified (he was driving a TC3) said that Losi had a "great idea" the was a flop. I don't see how the average racer can see a difference in offset like that. I think rim flex / tire combo would be what is more noticable.

Maybe I'll stop in to the NY track, if its in the South East side of NY, anyway. Buffalo would be too far for a club race.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default xxxs wheelies

Trips,
I don't know that my front tire is lifting. The cause is bad driving, but I am working on it. Lifting probably isn't the right word to use, the unloaded front tire is loosing traction maybe it doesn't lift off the ground. I'll give the background and maybe you can point me in the right direction. Mechanically the car is sound. Shocks all work, well, suspension isn't binding, etc. My tires are prolines, right out of the box. I didn't know that you needed to measure them, so they are however tall as they come.

To the problem.
When I am going into a sharp corner agressively, or not using my preffered line (missed the turnin, over taking, or taking it wide to let some pass, etc) the car seems to push a bit initially. Infact I actuall am getting into the corners way faster than anyone else. Some of the fast guys thought I was messing with them when I went wide to let them pass, and pulled away.

But some times on the exit if I am using max steering (which isn't full lock, I have plenty dialed out) or using a lot of steering it seems to come out of the corner with less power than it does when I take a good line. I don't beleive anything is binding in the turn.

My other reason for thinking the front tire is lifting/loosing traction is that my front diff is getting gritty after 15 packs. I guess it could be too tight. Not sure how to tell. My rear diff is still silky smooth, so its not from debris in the belt tunnel ( no debris visible on belt either). So my line of thought is my front diff is being abused much more than my rear diff.

I hope this helps set the picture.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

so here is the plan. I cut ALL the longer rod ends down just because they are all the same size.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rcfiles.com
Can someone explain little more about the .30 washer they are glueing to the spindle to decrease throw? This isn't clicking for me, I need someone to help me with a text picture.
Have a look at this:
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-dsc00001.jpg  
Old 03-27-2002, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

That picture kind of looks like it's a steering stop...???

Ron
Old 03-27-2002, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trips,

My understanding is that the stop / washer is there to correct bad ackerman caused by running the low roll center on the front. It's described in Kinwald's setup sheet...

http://www.teamlosi.com/pictures/jpe...XXXS_BKclv.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.