Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

SirSpeedy-- You are a better man than me!! I am the first guy in our club to run this car...and I thought that I was being to rough with it, (4 CVDs, 2 front carriers, 2 rear carriers). I solved the CVD problem by putting set screws in the spindle to act as manual stopers, dense foam bumper and brace but it seems that front and rear hub carriers are prone to pop. Losi #2 came out to the races last night and in race four, got in a small tangle with two other cars, who both drove away and the XXXS...broken rear carrier. I took a look at the carriers on my friends Yok. Special and the material that the pin goes through on the Yok is at least 150% thicker...and oddly enough, I have never seen them snap one. I truly like the XXXS; how easy it is to wrench on, the tuneability, it's handling characteristics, not to mention the score of major wins already chalked up to this new comer. Perhaps there was a poor batch of parts run?? I also haven't been able to get any spinles and carriers from our local shops...back ordered. Anyone know of a place that has a stock of these parts and would like to mail them up to Canada!!??
Old 12-22-2001, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a pic of the spindle fix.
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-spindle1.jpg  
Old 12-22-2001, 11:20 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is STLNLST- I'm at MO'S house.............we ran the XXX-S in stock today at the carpet track where the Nationals are going to be held at and the car had plenty of punch out of the corners. There wasn't anyone fast with a TC3 there today but there were some sponsored Schumacher guys running stock and the XXX-S was TQ and the TQ holder won the race and 2nd place was also running a XXX-S. I think that the accelleration problem might be the way some people gear their car. We played around with the new P2K2 and the regular P2K. Both were very punchy and had good top end. We ran the Paul L. carpet set up off of the Horizon page. I just wanted to let you guys know that the car wasn't getting yanked out of the corners. In fact......the Yokomo special seemed to have some good pull out of the corners but nothing the XXX-S couldn't handle.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

STLNLST, are you saying that the XXX-S outperformed the Mission ...WHAT????!!!!
Old 12-23-2001, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

stlnlst... Tell me your secret! I run a XXX-S, stock, at the carpet track the Novak race is run on and while I do good, I can not match the punch of a TC# out of the corners. I have spent a lot of time trying to close the gap but they are still pulling me, I do make up time in the corners. I just got a mission last week and so far it seems about equal to the TC-3 but has more corner speed. I am hopeing that with some more time the Mission will be the car in stock.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Harsh- Without being "harsh"....yes it out performed the mission. The mission got out performed by the Axis 2 as well. Maybe part 2 will be a better car....LOL

ottoman- If the your mission is the same as the TC3's then you shouldn't have a problem getting out of the corners. The motors that we were running were Banzai motors. I feel that they have great RPM but a little more bottom end punch than standard P2K/P2K2 (no I'm not sponsored by them...LOL) What type of cans do you run and what are you gearing then at? I know gearing depends on the track layout but we pretty much have a standard gearing for every type of can that we club race with. For a big race like the Novak race we might push the gearing issue some but we are always happy with our sweet spot gearing. There's only one real fast guy with a TC3 that runs stock out here but he wasn't at the track this weekend. We will try to run stock again to do more testing next weekend but we really like running mod. If I can be of any help just let me know.
Old 12-23-2001, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

STLNLST ...cool deal!!! Hey you gotta get your carcass over here so we can put the low roll deals on your car for next weekend, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
Old 12-23-2001, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Harsh- I have to buy them first. I spent too much money this christmas....LOL
Old 12-23-2001, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

STLNLST and other Nor Cal guys.

I plan to race at Rippon next week and have never raced there. Can you give me some tire and setup advice for that track? I will be racing stock with a P2K Pro. My car is basically stock and I picked up a set of Losi black springs. I assume you race there!
Old 12-23-2001, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

jjmudd-

I don't know what to say. I race outdoor asphalt, with only dots and some pipe. Are you racing carpet with wood borders?

As for your parts, Superior Hobbies has everything for the car hanging on the wall. Give them a call, (407) 834-9299, or www.superiorhobbies.com . Ask for Ken or Billy. Tell them Tim sent you.

Otto-

In my experience, stock racing is all about batteries....it sucks really. What do you packs cycle out at? If your motors are good, and the ratio is on the ballpark, you should be fine.

Later -
Old 12-23-2001, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

SirSpeedy- Thanks for the info. Yes we race indoors but with plastic 2X4s
Old 12-23-2001, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

psycho- We haven't had to run the black springs on the rug yet. Purple has been the stiffest that we've used so far. Right now we have been playing around with different set ups. Our standard set up right now is the one Matt Francis used for the roar nats. Yesterday we used Paul's set up off of the Horizon website. I think that you will be safe starting out with 56 pistons all around and 60wt oil. If you don't have all of the optional parts to run the Paul L. set up go with the Matt Francis set up. It's a very stable a fast set up. Bring a 90 spur gear and for tire's Sorex 28/24's with hpi reds or sorex A inserts...or the new Pit tire's. I don't run the Pits so I will have to get back to you on the inserts used in them.........Also the ripon track is closed for the winter season. The carpet track is in Stockton at the fairgrounds. If you go to the Riopn website they will have driving directions to the track. If you have anyother questions please feel free to ask. There are quite a few fast guys that run this car that will be there to lend a helpful hand. Good luck and see you next weekend.

Ask for BN RACING or THE ARTIST when you get there.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

STLNLST

Cool. Thanks. I've been running Pit 27's with Yokomo medium and firm inserts, so it sounds like those should work. I'll check out those setup sheets. I saw that the track is in Stockton. Thanks for the heads up, though. We'll probably come over with Cameron and Jaime since they know the way! Do they strictly follow ROAR rules on bodies? I was planning on running an HPI Integra body.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have to correct stlnlst I won the race the TQ came in second. The car was plenty fast in stock had good snap out of the corners and was very stable. Stlnlst and I used Paul Leimuex setup for carpet from horizon I made a few changes to get the car to feel right for me. I believe stlnlst didnt make any changes to the setup.
Old 12-23-2001, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

I have to correct bigdog...LOL I came out one hole on the front and rear shock towers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.