Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by syrss
Has anyone tried the Hobbywing 13T EZRUN 3650M (380 sized) series motor?

Does it have enough torque and power to pull ff03 versus the true 540 sized motors?

I have run the motor twice already, seems to run a little hot with the stock gearing.

Just want to get some general inputs from the experts.

TIA,
Ron
I run the 9turn together with the 35A ESC. The timing set on 3.75deg, punch 5 from 9. Gearing: 30 pinion and 80 spur dp48.
My indoor and outdoor track is rather tight, so a lot of accelerating. Temps are fine (somewhat warm), but I did cut the "grill"of the car for some airflow.

The stock plastic diff halves WILL melt. Don't even try, you will ruin diff-balls and what not.

B.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BenjaminX2
I run the 9turn together with the 35A ESC. The timing set on 3.75deg, punch 5 from 9. Gearing: 30 pinion and 80 spur dp48.
My indoor and outdoor track is rather tight, so a lot of accelerating. Temps are fine (somewhat warm), but I did cut the "grill"of the car for some airflow.

The stock plastic diff halves WILL melt. Don't even try, you will ruin diff-balls and what not.

B.
May I ask what body you are running? and has the grill affected the downforce or feeling of the car at all?

I have a similar problem with really high temps and with gearing can get it down but I'd like to see how some more airflow would help.

Cheers.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys i was wondering what Universal shaft set to purchase for my FF-03, i noticed that my drive shaft was rubbing on the front knuckles of my car.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FFO3EG
Hey guys i was wondering what Universal shaft set to purchase for my FF-03, i noticed that my drive shaft was rubbing on the front knuckles of my car.
I've got the Aluminum 46mm Swing Shaft (53724) and the TB03 Wheel Axle (54076). I think you can also get the 44mm Swing Shaft from what I've read.

Also the TRF417 Wheel Axle set uses a slightly different way of clamping the pin into position which I believe is better.

Basically, I found most of my options parts from here. http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...010/index.html

Cheers
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks a ton! i've been out of the R/C car scene for a long time, tryin to learn about all the new stuff and upgrades.

Do those swing shafts come with a Pin to place into the wheel hub?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks a ton! i've been out of the R/C car scene for a long time, tryin to learn about all the new stuff and upgrades.

Do those swing shafts come with a Pin to place into the wheel hub?
Sorry, no. The shafts are just the shafts. If you got TB03 route, then you'll have to get the pins and "holder" (little black tubes that hold the pin and grub screw" separately (There's a part number for it somewhere but I'm sorry I don't have it, I think it's a common part for most of the tamiya universal swing shafts)

If you go the 417 route, I believe the clip and pin are also a separate buy, but don't quote me on that

Cheers
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by clittle
May I ask what body you are running? and has the grill affected the downforce or feeling of the car at all?

I have a similar problem with really high temps and with gearing can get it down but I'd like to see how some more airflow would help.

Cheers.
I run the stock civic body (eg or ek ) ) and I didn't notice a difference. I might lack experience to notice, because the last RC I rode 5 years ago was a 1/8 nitro buggy.
I did notice a change in tires/setup .

In general, be certain that your transmission isn't binding. My diff/gear case had rather bad tolerances.

B.

p.s.
That hottest day I drove, was like 30 degree Celsius. 86F.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

58505 VW Scirocco GT24-CNG (FF-03 Chassis) Tamiya Release Date : Nov

Last edited by kentech; 09-13-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kentech
58505 VW Sirocco GT24-CNG (FF-03 Chassis) Tamiya Release Date : Nov
Awesome ....

Wish they would release my Renault Megane RS250
Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BenjaminX2
I run the stock civic body (eg or ek ) ) and I didn't notice a difference. I might lack experience to notice, because the last RC I rode 5 years ago was a 1/8 nitro buggy.
I did notice a change in tires/setup .

In general, be certain that your transmission isn't binding. My diff/gear case had rather bad tolerances.

B.

p.s.
That hottest day I drove, was like 30 degree Celsius. 86F.
Thanks for that. I'm currently running the Porsche GT3 body and on a 35 deg day the temps were 90 ish (celcius). A little bit on the high side I think.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help, ill try to find the Part# for the grub screws and such.

Also im starting to hear some light grinding when i let off the accelerator, wondering if its the Diff.

Last edited by FFO3EG; 09-13-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help, ill try to find the Part# for the grub screws and such.

Also im starting to hear some light grinding when i let off the accelerator, wondering if its the Diff.
Grinding is never good How's the mesh between your pinion and spur gears?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Initiate

It is sitting with enough clearance to grab without danger of slipping, i wanted to take the Diff box off and check it out but one of the screws stripped out from the bottom of the car kissing the ground a bit, so i guess i might just get a spec R gearbox or rebuild the Tamiya one with new parts and upgraded idler,Diff, and spur gear.

Im sure im just being paranoid, i build car engines for my K-series so when i hear a noise i go bat shit crazy.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default Stipped it down and found a problem

I've just stripped down my FF03 for some maintenance. I've just noticed that I tend to be splitting my tires around the wall. Where the tire is glued to the rim it's ok, but just above there both my front tyres have split. I'm running a 21.5 with Hobbywing 120A Xerun system. I wouldn't have thought I was creating that much drive to split the tyres..... Has anyone else had this trouble and any ideas on how I can not have it happen again?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by clittle
I've just noticed that I tend to be splitting my tires around the wall. Where the tire is glued to the rim it's ok, but just above there both my front tyres have split. I'm running a 21.5 with Hobbywing 120A Xerun system. I wouldn't have thought I was creating that much drive to split the tyres..... Has anyone else had this trouble and any ideas on how I can not have it happen again?
I have the same problem with a set of LRP VTEC 27 (x, or something) wheels. I glue them after every run
With the LRP VTEC CPX (low height type, carpet) I do not have this problem.
Also, I do not encounter the problem with my sweep 32 tires, mounted on hard Robitronic dish wheels and I do have more grip with these!

Seems to me it depends on the tires.

B.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.