Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

No, its actually to check it compared to my Evo III to see if I can use the evo iv shaft.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by thecrow2k
No, its actually to check it compared to my Evo III to see if I can use the evo iv shaft.
I recall this being discussed before and they are not compatible. Drive trains are different. Same with the bevel/spurs, etc.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

The Bevel gears are perfectly compatible. Thats why the Evo III boys run the Evo IV front one way gear.
As for the drivetrains. The bearings used in the gearboxes are just flipped. Te motor mount bearings in the Evo III are the gearbox ones in the Evo IV and vice versa. Its only the length that could be the problem. As for spur gears, they're universal.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Addict

The Bevel gears are perfectly compatible. Thats why the Evo III boys run the Evo IV front one way gear.
As for the drivetrains. The bearings used in the gearboxes are just flipped. Te motor mount bearings in the Evo III are the gearbox ones in the Evo IV and vice versa. Its only the length that could be the problem. As for spur gears, they're universal.
I do not agree that the are the same. You maybe able to run IV gears in a III, however do not attempt that the other way around. The III for one didn't use a screw to hold in the bevel gear, like the IV does. Also the internal ratio of the IV is differant to the III, although if you swap both front and rear to IV then it will not matter.
The shafts on the two cars are totally differant. III uses a one piece shaft, IV uses a collection of bits and pieces.

Anyway to anwser your original question.
I can't not get an exact measurement for you without romoving the shock tower, but its around 3.5-4mm.
It you need a more accurate measure, it will have to wait untill the weekend when I get some time to work on the car.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

The ring gear (diff or one-way) is the same for all the Evos (and the TB02), 39T. The internal ratio is changed by the different sizes of bevel pinion: 15T in the III; 17T in the IV; and 16T in the 5.

To ease assembly, the Evo III prop shaft is actually too short, resulting in too much fore and aft play in the drive line and consequent problems with gear meshing. The 3-piece Evo IV shaft helps to correct this error.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Yes Peejay I was intending to use the evo iv 3 piece shaft, your saying this works?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

just get the Tamiya HopUp "Lightweight Shaft" for your EvoIII,
its 2mm longer and cures most of your spur stripping issues.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Tamiya
Yes Peejay I was intending to use the evo iv 3 piece shaft, your saying this works?
No, my bad, I didn't finish my sentence properly - it helped correct the problem for the Evo IV.

I doubt that the 3 piece shaft will fit the Evo III because of the different bearing arrangements. You could download the III and IV manuals from Tamiya to compare the 2 assemblies and the parts you would need, but WCs suggestion is a simpler solution, although still not perfect.

I am sure that there was much discussion about this in the Evo III thread on here.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

I already have the lightweight shaft and have shimmed the gearbox to no avail.
The bearings are the same used in the evo iii just in a different order.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Can anyone pleaaaase do this, it only takes a minute.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Is it still easy to get spare parts for the Evo 4?

Cheers
Old 06-07-2007, 03:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
Is it still easy to get spare parts for the Evo 4?

Cheers
no problems in Australia, where are you?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waOscar
no problems in Australia, where are you?
Im in Central QLD.

I was reading a review by XRC/RC411 and they weren't happy with slop in the rear hubs and the drivetrain requiring special attention for shimming. Has anyone had had major drama with these 2 things?

Cheers
Old 06-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

got a link? I have no problems on mine.

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
Im in Central QLD.

I was reading a review by XRC/RC411 and they weren't happy with slop in the rear hubs and the drivetrain requiring special attention for shimming. Has anyone had had major drama with these 2 things?

Cheers
Old 07-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Tech Rookie

This is for infokiz, i believe you still remember me.

I'm still waiting for the evo iv i bought you trought ebay.

I'm trying to contact you by ebay and by mail, but it's impossible, the dispute on ebay was closed without any notice.

i believe you could read this to get a reply.

Please, i want to know anything you know about the car, because it doesnt arrived yet.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.