XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Shorter shocks in front and longer in the rear has to do with shock tower height and the effect on drop. The rear tower is a tad higher. Losi discountinued several 1.15 springs and they can be used front or rear. My first xxx-s-g came with MF trinity purple and blue springs and they are not the same as losi pound wise. The 1" springs will work front or back.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Losi shocks are the greatest and only one place they can leak is down the shaft seals. A properly rebuilt shock will stay about were you push or pull the piston. Depends on the amount of air and too much oil you get in. On a Losi shock it has no bladder and when the rod goes into the shock the volume of the rod has to be accounted for. When you fill a losi shock from the bottom you have to leave the cartridge cracked for a few seconds to relieve the extra oil pressure from the piston all the way into the shock. Then tighten it to seal and as you move the piston down slowly it should stay about were you put it. Slowly means the oil has flowed from one side to the other in the small holes. An over full shock will hydralock when going over a bump till some oil is leaked out.
On other brand shocks the bladder will have air in it that will push the piston different because air compresses different from oil. The bladder is suppose to more forgiving on over fill and a big bump. But that is just one more place to leak and they blow out and lose their seal.
Hope this helps
Old 05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

And the Speedster comes through with the answers !! Thanks for that. I'll be trying those out next Sunday as we rescheduled till then. The more I play around with the stock shocks the more I like them. I went through 1/2 a bottle of 80weight I had laying around practicing how to fill them and trying different ways to see how to screw it up. They do seem odd but the "action" of the shock is quite nice. Especially after you put a spring on and test it on the chassis. It never ceases to amaze me how much of a drivers car this is. Everything seems to work in concert well with this design.
Thanks for the help folks.....very much appreciated.

Does anyone have any definite knowledge or resources referencing WHO the Losi Team drivers were during the xxxs years?? Particularly those that might be members of this forum. I'm hoping we can get 1 or 2 to pass on some insider tips/tricks here on the thread. I gotta believe some of those guys are here on RCTECH. Quite a few names on the various setup sheets out there.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paraletic
what oil are u running in ya shocks now
also what motor/class do u run in?
an which body
I went back to Losi 30wt all around
17.5 Intermediate TC
Mazda 6

My next test for fun is going to put purples on back just to prove I can kill the rear grip of this car.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Yep, the purples in the back did it - I finally got oversteer. With the purples I started to traction roll as the tires heated up. Where I test the grip is monster - my shoes stick to track when I walk on it.

I went down to greens and moved the rear shock in one hole. It started handling much 'better'. I ran out of time to test, so I have to go with what I got now for Sunday's race.

Next test I will try to emulate your setup listed below (sans MF blocks)....

low blocks back/front
OR back/front
ball diff in front/back
4 castor
2.5 toe in rear
shock position all the way in
Wheelbase forward in front.
Out back is middle
Rear camber link is on inside hole on hub.
Hub mounted to outer hole on A arm.
Front diff tight,rear diff looser
Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Great to know Erik ! I'll be running this Sunday with almost the same setup for VTA. I had posted on John's thread asking about the shock oil as I know the stock setup for the X uses 30w. I'm trying 35w with the blue springs all the way around. We're on untreated concrete so I'm hoping for good things and planning on subtle changes .....1 at a time ! Between Johns setup and Paraletic's I hope I can get her dialed in.
Boy I love the support available for the xxxs !!
Has anyone ever seen a factory yellow belt with every other tooth removed ??
The car I bought recently came with one and I thought the owner must have clipped them off but upon inspection it's clear this belt was factory made. I have no idea where it came from and neither does he. Supposedly purchased from a Team driver at some point. If anyone knows what this could be from, let me know..I wouldn't mind getting my hands on another one.

Last edited by Evoracer; 05-14-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

here is a pic of the 2 motor mounts
Attached Thumbnails XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes-photo1.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default gearing

Evoracer about what gearing do you run, I am in Palm Beach and just starting back up racing. going to be useing the spec 17.5 for now. May get a 25.5 and come up there.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Rob...you're always welcome to come on up and race with us. On our track I'm running between 4.5 and 5.0. Keep in mind our track is smaller than West Palm and probably more technical. We really make you drive !!. Always best to see what everyone else is running at your track. Right now I'm using a 100t 64p spur with a 41t pinion. I have a spur adaptor on my car. The stock Losi 106t is what I was using before.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Does anyone have any definite knowledge or resources referencing WHO the Losi Team drivers were during the xxxs years?? Particularly those that might be members of this forum. I'm hoping we can get 1 or 2 to pass on some insider tips/tricks here on the thread. I gotta believe some of those guys are here on RCTECH. Quite a few names on the various setup sheets out there.
In my opinion Todd Hodge was the best Losi pilot with this car. I used to have a link to some information he had written at one time that was very worthwhile. I used to run this chassis with all the "red stuff" and not only did it look good, the car was very fast too.

Oh, and for the shocks....they always seemed to leak because the standard shafts were very subject to wear but titanium nitride coated shafts were the bomb and completely solved the problem. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That would be the - "hooking up your xxx-s on asphault" artical by Todd hodge you can find it in the original xxx-s thread worth the hunt a good read

another team driver was David Spashett, believe he won the worlds with this car
Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Had a great race this weekend! There were no intermediates, so I got thrown in with the stock sedan crew – yikes!! Thrown into the deep end..

Qual #2, ran the best race of my life..nailed it. Car was responsive, no over steer (unless abused), grip was good, a tiny bit of understeer, but that made it very stable and drivable. In the main, my fast laps were right on the avg laps of the other mid pack racers – all much better drivers, newer cars, and one ways / spools. Too bad on the last three laps or so I stunk it up BIG TIME. geez, so frustrating… I went from a high 12s, low 13’s to back to back 16’s sec… like I was playing bumper cars… uggh.

I am finally happy with my setup (for now ).

Thanks to all who contribute to these threads to give newbs like me a fighting chance at this sport!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paraletic
That would be the - "hooking up your xxx-s on asphault" artical by Todd hodge you can find it in the original xxx-s thread worth the hunt a good read

another team driver was David Spashett, believe he won the worlds with this car
How did I forget about Spashett ....and also Matt Francis too...LOL! All the red anodized stuff I had was Matt Francis parts come to think of it.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ASM
How did I forget about Spashett ....and also Matt Francis too...LOL! All the red anodized stuff I had was Matt Francis parts come to think of it.
Ummmm.....you forgot because you're really, really OLD !!!! Thanks for the input Scott. Another thing I didn't know about you.
I found a post from Still Bill (used to be XXXS Bill) with a slightly edited version of Hodge's article. Page 196 of the original xxx-s thread. What a great article. It's like finding a lost chapter.....much of what Todd knew then was lost to us and rediscovered by those of us driving the car now. Definitely nice to read actual driver input from that time.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

WOW !! Had a great day of racing at our club meet today. The setup is coming together nicely. Big thanks to Paraletic !!! Rob, I changed to your spring settings and VOILA !!...she was dancing like never before. I'll list the complete setup tomorrow.
One aspect of the current setup I'm not so sure about though. After reading Todd Hodge's suggestions, I incorporated the ackerman change into the setup due to the revised pivot mount and the forward arm position. I tried the forward ackerman position on chassis and flipped the steering arms so the short end is forward.
Has anyone else tried this ? How'd it work for you ? Anyone notice some binding in the steering after making the change ? Anyone notice the C-Hubs bang in to the lower shock mounts even with reduced steering throw ?? Must admit...car handled great so I'm not crazy about making the ackerman change back to stock but don't know if it's really helping all that much or what? I guess it won't hurt to try it a couple of ways and see the effect. I'll let you know. Man it was fun to drive though !!! One last thing...tire wear with the VTA spec tires was fantastic with 0 camber and 1 degree toe in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.