Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

We ran our first VTA oval yesterday. Its on a carpet flat track with medium traction. My XXX-S was a little bit loose on the rear end. A buddies was very planted but that could be due to his using a GTB with a 17.5. I have a Tekin RS from when I ran foam sedan so it is programmed to the max. Good times though, carpet VTA setup was very close for oval racing. Once you get the X set up it seems to work no matter what tires you use.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Initiate

No racing lately, BUT... XXX-S VTA car with an LRP 5.5 swapped in for fun with foam tires and a 2s lipo? Big parking lots rule!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

SCORE !!! Wow...just bought an X off Ebay. What a great car. Tons of parts including some pretty rare stuff. Finally got the MF roll center blocks front and rear + alot of the other goodies. Especially interesting was the MF motor mount. Since I've never seen one in person I'm wondering if this might answer the question of the elusive low/high mount. The mounting holes and the motor shaft hole are all oval shaped which allows one to mount the motor higher or lower. Any of you guys who have one or seen one care to explain ?? I'm so looking forward to racing VTA on Sunday. New setup and some cool new parts. Thanks guys for the setup help....lets see if i can make it all work.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Hey All, have another dumb question. Strangely enough I have very little experience with the stock xxxs shocks. I started with Tamiya shocks as I had previous experience with them and now I'm using JRXS shocks. I'm wondering 3 things:
1. Is there any particular reason for the 2 different length shocks (front and back)?
2. Is there any reason or advantage to the shock working in reverse to most others. Most other shocks push the shock shaft downward to full extension after they're filled. The xxxs shocks "pull" the shock shaft into the shock body. Whats up with that?
3. Many setups I've seen suggest a certain shock spring. I assumed the shorter springs (1 inch) were required for the front and the 1.15 inch for the rear. Some setups refer to springs that were only available in the longer length. Can the longer springs be run up front with no problem and likewise for the short springs in back? It seems the longer springs are typically the lighter weight ones.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Hey All, have another dumb question. Strangely enough I have very little experience with the stock xxxs shocks. I started with Tamiya shocks as I had previous experience with them and now I'm using JRXS shocks. I'm wondering 3 things:
1. Is there any particular reason for the 2 different length shocks (front and back)?
2. Is there any reason or advantage to the shock working in reverse to most others. Most other shocks push the shock shaft downward to full extension after they're filled. The xxxs shocks "pull" the shock shaft into the shock body. Whats up with that?
3. Many setups I've seen suggest a certain shock spring. I assumed the shorter springs (1 inch) were required for the front and the 1.15 inch for the rear. Some setups refer to springs that were only available in the longer length. Can the longer springs be run up front with no problem and likewise for the short springs in back? It seems the longer springs are typically the lighter weight ones.
I've always wondered about #1, so hopefully we can get an answer.

I can't be much help with #2.

#3 - the longer springs up front can work. It is a good thing the 1.15" springs are mostly the lighter weight ones as setting a ride height of ~5mm in the front puts the adjusters right at the tippy-top of the shock body. I found this when running the 1.15" blues in the front.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

SCORE !!! Wow...just bought an X off Ebay. What a great car. Tons of parts including some pretty rare stuff. Finally got the MF roll center blocks front and rear + alot of the other goodies. Especially interesting was the MF motor mount. Since I've never seen one in person I'm wondering if this might answer the question of the elusive low/high mount. The mounting holes and the motor shaft hole are all oval shaped which allows one to mount the motor higher or lower. Any of you guys who have one or seen one care to explain ?? I'm so looking forward to racing VTA on Sunday. New setup and some cool new parts. Thanks guys for the setup help....lets see if i can make it all work.

That wouldnt have been the one with all the red hopups? I saw that a week or so ago and wanted it but found a smokin deal on a xxx4 with metal front one way Guess the guy said someone custom made them on a small run. All I know is I like the one way

So guess getting an xxxs will have to wait another week or two or till another good one pops up for sale lol
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 66Racer
That wouldnt have been the one with all the red hopups? I saw that a week or so ago and wanted it but found a smokin deal on a xxx4 with metal front one way Guess the guy said someone custom made them on a small run. All I know is I like the one way

So guess getting an xxxs will have to wait another week or two or till another good one pops up for sale lol
Probably the same one. Hope I didn't snipe you for it. Paid more than I thought I would at 152.00 bucks but gotta say it was worth every penny. All the MF stuff and loads of spares was well worth it. Car also has an odd rear diff in it. The outdrives are thick delrin with slotted aluminum outer section. never seen them on any xxxs but pretty cool.

If you're looking for a XXXS, let me know as I'll be selling one shortly. I've been selling off some of my Tamiya collectible stuff to make room for more xxxs and tc4 cars. I'll be selling VTA and RCGT rolling chassis with painted bodies soon. My Ebay name is "theautohobbyshop". Figured I'd share my addiction.
Racing tomorrow !!! Wish me luck....all new setup and lots of new parts. This will be my new baseline and then it's 1 change at a time.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Micro-E
I've always wondered about #1, so hopefully we can get an answer.

I can't be much help with #2.

#3 - the longer springs up front can work. It is a good thing the 1.15" springs are mostly the lighter weight ones as setting a ride height of ~5mm in the front puts the adjusters right at the tippy-top of the shock body. I found this when running the 1.15" blues in the front.
Thanks E, Thats 1 down. Makes sense because of the lighter springs and the blue ones happen to be one of the favorite choices in many of the setup sheets I've seen.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

I am experimenting a lot with springs right now. My G+ does not drive the way I want it too with the blues, seems a bit lazy in the chicanes and tight corners and a bit pushy out of the corners. On the other hand, my buddies flexy RTR is DIALED with the blues all around.

I am trying some 'reverse tuning' to see if stiffer perks up my G+. I bought a non-graphite chassis to play with next..
Old 05-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Evo---

lol dont worry about it, I had the option of getting a sweet xxx4g+ or sweet xxx-s g+ and chose off road since thats what is most raced around here. I think back when these things were hot off the press there must have been guys making 1 off stuff. the xxx4 i got had a custom front one way. ALL metal and anodized red with steel outdrives. Thought it was maybe a rare MF part from the onroad guys but the guy said a local racer machined them or something. Did a low production run.

It was better that way though because I havent even checked out the parking lot race i heard about yet. Its supposed to be well organised but should see for myself before i invest in onroad again.

I will keep my eyes open for your xxxs. Im always checking ebay and rctech for good deals on the losi xxxs/4 stuff.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

66Racer, just let me know if you need some help finding one. This unemployment gig makes it real easy to get hooked on rummaging around various sites looking for stuff I can't or shouldn't buy !!

Erik, went back through your posts cause i knew you'd posted a setup before. Are you still running high roll center in front ?
I'll report in regarding my new setup if we race tomorrow. I'd forgotten about Mothers Day (yes the wife is gonna shoot me ) and it looks like we may have to re-schedule. I knew there were enough things I wanted to change so I decided to try a complete setup change and then make small changes from there. 1 of the biggest is the change to low roll centers front/back. The concrete setup I had tried included high centers front/back. I'm hoping that for VTA on our concrete track the lower centers will help. Been doing some reading on J. Stranahans site, looking at setup sheets and referencing the team tips at the back of the manual. BTW, 1 of J. Stranahans suggestions is that you run as soft a spring as possible and then adjust a bit for chassis reaction according to preference. I got hooked on this thought when I ran my Schumacher. Box stock springs were the white 14.0 springs and most of the team driver setups still used them.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Yup, still running the high rc up front. I am not clear on what the real impact of hi vs low roll center. I have seen several folks on this forum say the opposite of each other , so I went back to the 'kit' G+ setup and I am tuning from there. The kit setup has high rc in front with purple springs, and low in the back with silver springs. Based on the rear being so planted, I decided to try to 'loosen up' the rear. I was able to do a test run with greens on the back and it seeeeeemed to be a bit better. I can run a test with the low rc just to see.

I just need the car to more responsive in the corners while maintaining the rear end stability. I loose all my time in the chicanes and low speed corners. Straights and high speed corners are this car's forte.

As a last resort I will copy my buddy's setup and go from there: front - high rc, blues, 40wt ||| rear - high rc, blues, 40wt. I'll would also transfer all my G+ parts onto a spare fiberglass chassis.

I am willing to admit it could be my driving skills , but I have a Cyclone S that I seem to be able to drive ok.

I am curious to see how your next race goes....
Old 05-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Micro,

what oil are u running in ya shocks now
also what motor/class do u run in?
an which body

I've been playin with my set up a bit tryin to find more rear grip as our track is quite slippery at times
I've found diff bodies hav some effect but not enough to fix - more like a fine adjustment

very happy how she runs but a little more rear grip would be handy
Old 05-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Probably the same one. Hope I didn't snipe you for it. Paid more than I thought I would at 152.00 bucks but gotta say it was worth every penny. All the MF stuff and loads of spares was well worth it. Car also has an odd rear diff in it. The outdrives are thick delrin with slotted aluminum outer section. never seen them on any xxxs but pretty cool.

If you're looking for a XXXS, let me know as I'll be selling one shortly. I've been selling off some of my Tamiya collectible stuff to make room for more xxxs and tc4 cars. I'll be selling VTA and RCGT rolling chassis with painted bodies soon. My Ebay name is "theautohobbyshop". Figured I'd share my addiction.
Racing tomorrow !!! Wish me luck....all new setup and lots of new parts. This will be my new baseline and then it's 1 change at a time.
Ha! small world! you beat out my buddy looking for a VTA candidate! he was up to $150.00 No sweat, he found another car locally
Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by paraletic
Micro,

very happy how she runs but a little more rear grip would be handy
U need more grip !!?? NOWWWW you mention grip issues....AFTER I've duplicated your setup on my car !!! Just kidding Rob. I'm actually using your setup first but prepared to make subtle changes using Mr Stranahans suggestions.
Really could use some answers to those shock questions I posted earlier. Can anyone help ?? #3 has already been answered and I was reasonably sure I already knew the answer.
#1 is just a curiosity question but #2 would really help me out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.