Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SA_Racer
So I took the plunge and got a MI2 (My first belt car), I also got Tamiya shocks and lowered shock tower, Can anyone here provide me with some tips that could be valuable as well as a setup for stock on a medium bite asphart track running foams.

Also does anyone using foams have problems setting droop when the wheels start getting small, from what I can see, it looks like the Suspension arm might end up pushing against the chassis, previnting me from setting droop, if so, is there a workaround?

Last, which parts break easiest and which upgrade parts do you recommend? I would like to keep some spares just in case

Thanks
SA_Racer
There are some Aussies that frequent this thread than can help you out. Some of thier races are Asphalt/Foam.

You should be able to get any droop you like. We run foam tires as small as 55mm on carpet and we can get more droop than we can use.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Adrian I have run into a bunch of guys who were having issues with droop and it was all because they were running their shocks way too long. Maybe one of you guys can let him know what lenght shocks everyone runs. I really don't remember If I had to guess I would say around 62mm????
Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default MI2

Just got a used mi2 from a friend. am wondering what upgrades are necessary to make the kit more race worthy? and what f.d.r. can you recommend cause i'll be using a epic 27turn motor. a spur pinion combo would be nice. the kit is currently using a 20teeth aluminum pulley, thats what my friend told me...
Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

with foam tyres i run about 62mm front and 63mm rear and dont have problems with droop.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1-2-3...G0!!!
Just got a used mi2 from a friend. am wondering what upgrades are necessary to make the kit more race worthy? and what f.d.r. can you recommend cause i'll be using a epic 27turn motor. a spur pinion combo would be nice. the kit is currently using a 20teeth aluminum pulley, thats what my friend told me...
Race worthy, get a set of springs and a good setup and you're good to go. There's a lot of things we've been doing to the car to make it better than box stock but they're not all 100% necessary to make the car race worthy. You may want to pick up a set of the new Schumacher shocks when they come out or a set of the TRF shocks and the lowered carpet towers to make shock building easier and you'll be able to match more of our setups easier. The aluminum rear hubs are a nice tuning option to have as well. I haven't run stock in some time so I'm not sure on gearing. Probably in the low to mid 6's. I may be wrong though.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Jon Kerr-i forgot to inform you that the kit is already using the teemu shock towers, both in the front & rear. am thinking of just using the box stock shocks, is this a no-no? my friend already bought red springs for the rear shocks and using the blue springs at the rear. i'll be playing in an outdoor, tight asphalt track. Is dat a good base setup for the kit? What anti roll bars could i use for this setup? and thanks for the help and info. Am thinking of upgrading the hingepins on all fours to titanium, is that alright? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

If you have the Teemu towers already, good. You can use the stock shocks, they're just harder to build and get even side to side. And before you go spending cash on Ti hinge pins, get some Schumacher Pro white springs. The setup I'm running and has been great outdoors uses Schumacher White front and rear. You can use them on the stock shocks and they're what most of us are running on asphalt. Do you have a spool in the front? If not, make the front diff into a spool by removing the diff balls from the pulley and using a piece of header card on top of the diff rings and lock it down. Ti hinge pins aren't going to improve the performance of the car. When upgrading any car, go for the items that are truly going to improve performance first, then go for the bling. The new shocks will perform better because you'll be more consistent in building them. Drop me an Email and I'll send you a good setup to start with. [email protected] Oh and do you have the alloy rear hubs too?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tips guys, as for the droop, I checked droop without the shocks, it looks like the rear is OK but if I use 58mm wheels, I have zero droop in the front, the front part of the front suspension arm is pushing against the riser plate.

If however I put a spacer under the front hingepin mounts I get enough of an angle to get the desired droop, this ofcourse also adds to my amount of caster which probaly means ill have to get the 2 degree caster blocks. your thoughts?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Rookie

John Kerr - Nope, I don’t have the alloy rear hubs. I’m not that keen on putting alloy parts on the suspension parts of the kit, not unless it’s the alloy suspension blocks. Ok, I’ll take your advise on the springs and hinge pins. Thanks. Are the yellow anti-roll bars good for an asphalt track or should I change them into something else? Nope, I haven’t changed the front diff into a spool. What is a header card? Do I really have to put this on top of the diff rings or is it ok if don’t put any? Guys running at my track told me to put sandpaper on top of the diff rings, will that work? Ok, ff you’re saying that I should buy the parts that would improve the performance of the kit, what are those? Besides the springs and the shocks. I’ve already downloaded some setup sheets and I’m leaning more to following Paul Wynn’s setup sheets mainly because he’s using the carpet towers, but if you could give a different setup, I would be most grateful. Have already sent you an email. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

John Kerr-- hey check your email, I had a few quick questions for ya'

...lovin' the mi2-- I remember the first time I ever raced, I had a tamiya fox and all the local fast guys ran schumacher, all very cool "cats" indeed
Old 12-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1-2-3...G0!!!
John Kerr - Nope, I don’t have the alloy rear hubs. I’m not that keen on putting alloy parts on the suspension parts of the kit, not unless it’s the alloy suspension blocks. Ok, I’ll take your advise on the springs and hinge pins. Thanks. Are the yellow anti-roll bars good for an asphalt track or should I change them into something else? Nope, I haven’t changed the front diff into a spool. What is a header card? Do I really have to put this on top of the diff rings or is it ok if don’t put any? Guys running at my track told me to put sandpaper on top of the diff rings, will that work? Ok, ff you’re saying that I should buy the parts that would improve the performance of the kit, what are those? Besides the springs and the shocks. I’ve already downloaded some setup sheets and I’m leaning more to following Paul Wynn’s setup sheets mainly because he’s using the carpet towers, but if you could give a different setup, I would be most grateful. Have already sent you an email. Thanks.
Email and setup sent back. The alloy rear hubs aren't like putting an aluminum arm on that can bend. They're pretty substantial and shouldn't even be a problem. They give the rear end different geometry that should help increase corner speed. Ditch the Yellow bars and get the sway bar kit and use the silver 1.2mm ones on the setup I Emailed you. Sand paper will work fine in your spool. You don't want to just use the ring because it will slip. The setup I sent you is pretty much identical to PW's setup on the website. There's a few thing here and there that I needed to adjust for track conditions.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
John Kerr-- hey check your email, I had a few quick questions for ya'

...lovin' the mi2-- I remember the first time I ever raced, I had a tamiya fox and all the local fast guys ran schumacher, all very cool "cats" indeed
Email back at ya.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:56 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Sup guys...I finally got to run Weylin's setup and it was DIALED I did make minor changes for track conditions, but all in all it was really good!!

Here it is
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
pw_superiorhobbies.pdf (316.6 KB, 157 views)
Old 12-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

Nice. How much different is this one compared to the one you ran at TQ?

R.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IslandBwoy
Nice. How much different is this one compared to the one you ran at TQ?

R.
When I ran at tq that was Tony's car with a simular setup. The 2 changes are silver bar in rear instead of black and no kick-up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.