Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The chatter comes from the fact that no R/C cars use true CVD's (Constant Velocity Drive). MIP and TiR CVD are actually just fancy rebuild-able UJ's (Universal Joints). The are no problems when the wheels are straight. However, as the wheels turn the UJ causes the axle to accelerate up to 7 deg ahead of the dog bone for 180 deg then decelerate 7 degrees behind the dog bone for the remaining 180. This 360deg cycle of acceleration and deceleration of the axle causes the chattering. Note that the car will not chatter with the wheels and tires off the car. The inertia of the rotating wheel resisting the axles acceleration and deceleration causes the chattering.

As the the drive system wears with use the chattering gradually gets better them pretty much disappears. The tiny amount of play that develops in a CVD with use allows the system to because less sensitive to and eventually can absorb the inherent oscillation.

This is why all the new guys have a problem with this but not the guys with older cars.

The chatter is only noticeable with spools. Diffs and one ways can absorb the oscillation.

All sedans chatter. The JRXS is the first car with a sort-of real CVD. It uses a very old articulating joint design to function as a CVD. It works and is very clever. Their ads say patent pending but I doubt they will be able to patent it as it has been around since the 1800's.

Others are working on real CVD's but the problem is that the materials available do not allow us to make true CVD's within the space and weight limitations required by our cars with acceptable durability....for now.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)

Nicely said Adrian... I feel a bit smarter now
Old 06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

uuuhhhhhhhhhhh......I'll take the old losi sliders for $100.....LOL

Well put. My car doesn't have the chatter in the front end cause I have my ONEWAY installed...LOL
Old 06-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

Was wondering if you guys use the stock belts or are there "special" belts that you are using that helps free up the car? I'm pretty consitant with my MI2 now running btwn 1st and 3rd on most days so now i'm looking for that extra edge.

MI JEDI
Old 06-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The only thing I do is run the front belt from the R12.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dang, I can just picture Adrian with a slide rule and bottom of glass coke bottle glasses typing that out!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IslandBwoy
Was wondering if you guys use the stock belts or are there "special" belts that you are using that helps free up the car? I'm pretty consitant with my MI2 now running btwn 1st and 3rd on most days so now i'm looking for that extra edge.

MI JEDI
If you run stock or 19t you can try the narrow rear belt. It doesn't last as long though. I've run it in mod with maybe 5 runs on a couple of occasion and it snapped. Or you can soak the rear belt in WD40. Also like Jon said above the R12 belt is pretty good at freeing it up. A good thing to check also is to make sure your diffs and layshaft aren't pinched too tight in the bulkheads. Make sure there is a little side play.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

All I can say is Adrian, Jon, and Cornerspeed. You guy's Rock Everytime I come on here to see what I can do/learn about my New MI2. The answers are there. Or you guy's aswer my question quickly. .

I do have a question though. I noticed that my Shocks leak. I can't afford a set of Tamiya TRF shock just yet. Are they prone to leaking. and would my TC3 shocks fit the MI2. AS they do not leak. There the AE Factory team ones. Or should I try and rebuild the MI2's shock. Unfortnaly my local HS doesn't carry any Schumacher products. Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

The TC3 shocks will fit, just need to sort the appropiate mounting hardware. Mi2 ones are usually ok. Personally i used to use 1 MIP seal instead of the small red schumacher one.

A slightly better seal, and a slightly smoother shock as well.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

If you run stock or 19t you can try the narrow rear belt. It doesn't last as long though. I've run it in mod with maybe 5 runs on a couple of occasion and it snapped. Or you can soak the rear belt in WD40. Also like Jon said above the R12 belt is pretty good at freeing it up. A good thing to check also is to make sure your diffs and layshaft aren't pinched too tight in the bulkheads. Make sure there is a little side play.
and if my bearings in the layshaft have no play??? how do you take care of something like that considering they are not plastic parts???
Old 06-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

And on another note: Have any of you guys tried the EPIC 19T motors? if so what do you think about them? currently i run my reedy and while i love the top speed it can handle it doesnt have as much punch to make a difference on the in field. Therefore @ tracks like tq (small) it doesnt really benefit me too much by putting time on my motor. What motors do you guys like to run on the smaller tracks?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up A new or updated sedan on the horizon?

Schumacher makes great equipment and gear. I was just wondering if they will be updating the Mi 2 anytime in the near future? I know they dont come out with new cars like Tamiya and Yokomo, but I am interested to know if they plan to update the Mi2 anytime soon. Not saying it needs it, but I know through testing some mods may make it into production.........thanks!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IslandBwoy
and if my bearings in the layshaft have no play??? how do you take care of something like that considering they are not plastic parts???
You just lightly sand the white spacer on the layshaft next to the pulley. All you usually need is a couple of 1000ths. of an inch to get rid of any pinch.

At the diffs, you may have to play around with shim adjusting.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ginsu
Schumacher makes great equipment and gear. I was just wondering if they will be updating the Mi 2 anytime in the near future? I know they dont come out with new cars like Tamiya and Yokomo, but I am interested to know if they plan to update the Mi2 anytime soon. Not saying it needs it, but I know through testing some mods may make it into production.........thanks!
No updates to the kit specs until next year, but there will always be updated hop-ups for the current ride
Old 06-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Adrian,
That was a very exact,hit the nail on the head explination.very impressive dude.
maybe this is another project huh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.