Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:38 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Troy will be down in south FL for the State Race
Old 07-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by NismosR34
are the alloy layshaft mounts worth getting for the mission s1?
and also the alloy diff mounts?
I'd say yes for the layshaft mounts and no for the diff mounts.
Plastic layshaft mounts are likely to melt when the layshaft bearing seizes, that's the only reason I'd suggest them. Then again, it is probably cheaper to have a pair of plastic mounts in your pit box than buy the alloys...
Diff mounts - the alloy ones are heavier (over 5 gram per pair, IIRC) and the added stiffness, if any, isn't worth mentioning. If you don't have weight problems, have too much money and like the purple color, then by all means use them. I had pretty much all the alloy you could get for Mission and in the end used only the layshaft mounts.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Either is good. I run the plastic 20T pulley because for the local Stock and 19T racing I do I feel the car is even more free spinning with it. PW and all the other team drivers run alloy becuase they run Mod all the time and the alloy pulley is tougher.

That said PW has run the stock plastic pulley in Mod but you have to keep an eye on it because it will wear faster than in Stock/19T racing.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

[quote I'd say yes for the layshaft mounts and no for the diff mounts.
Plastic layshaft mounts are likely to melt when the layshaft bearing seizes, that's the only reason I'd suggest them. Then again, it is probably cheaper to have a pair of plastic mounts in your pit box than buy the alloys...
Diff mounts - the alloy ones are heavier (over 5 gram per pair, IIRC) and the added stiffness, if any, isn't worth mentioning. If you don't have weight problems, have too much money and like the purple color, then by all means use them. I had pretty much all the alloy you could get for Mission and in the end used only the layshaft mounts.[/quote]

ok, there like $40AU for a pair, weight is not a issue...no serious racing down here in tasmania

all the alloy..nah, was just thinking layshafts mounts for added stiffness

what else is good to upgrade on a stock mission S1??

thakns
Old 07-09-2004, 07:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Best upgrades for a stock mission would be

1. The grey belts
2. The RW diff pulleys - these make an incredible difference
3. Depending on how often you need to change ride height for different tracks setups etc then teh screw down shock bodies would be next on teh list.
4. I personally believe teh best remedy for siezed up layshaft bearings is a bit of a maintenance program - I have been racing Mission since they first appeared and have never had that problem,
5. The diff mounting bearings on teh other hand are a problem area and if you can afford it get some of the Tamiya or Yokomo blue sealed bearings - you wont be sorry.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

yeah i heard the grey belts are good

i reckon ill get the grey belts, the layshaft mounts in alloy..mainly cause i run around a carpark, and i want the extra stiffness..plus they look cool..

what are RW pulleys??
are they the alloy ones??

also i read that the CF top deck will stiffen out the car...

is it worth paying like $70+ au for one??
Old 07-10-2004, 02:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Don't worry about the extra stifness of teh top deck - are you running on foams or rubber tyres ?

The S1 is a great car in it's own right and in some conditions even better than the Carbon Pro,

The RW pulleys replace the front and rear diff pulleys. They are CNC machined delrin and much more precise than the moulded pulleys resulting in them being very slightly smaleer and better fitting teh belts. This makes the belts that much looser bot still not slipping of course. Also the delrin does not pick up crud like the standard pulleys do so less maintenance.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:40 AM
Tech Adept

ahhhh ok

i think ill got the belts and pulleys as first upgrade then

thanks
Old 07-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Raced my mission with those and the alloy layshaft mounts That is all that is needed althought there is a roll center spacing kit that is nice to have.
Adran will the alloy layshaft pullys fit the MI@??
Old 07-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I had a great day racing today. I tested with different bodies today and I'm right back where I belong.....running a Stratus. The car just feels a bit more planted to me with the stratus instead of the Mazda 6. It just fits my driving stlye better. I ran Mo's set up with a couple of changes. I am now ready to get that first win at my home track. The car is easy to drive and I can put it anywhere I want (except in the winner's circle at speedworld)

PW- Good luck to you guys next weekend at the nats. Have fun and I'll chat with you when you get back.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

well my rear belt snapped...so this is the time to get the new grey belts i think...
Old 07-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mo won the gas sedan class last night at our yearly Revo race on his first time out with the R12.

Schumacher will be turning some heads in gas sedan at the up coming Paris race this year.

Last edited by STLNLST; 07-11-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

i wudnt run a grey belt in modefied as i found otu today i delamenated it and it flipped over and jsut turned into a skipping rope pretty much also broke a wishbone and my steering arm and i was having interfeirence troubles all day which i narowwed down to a motor after trying 3
Old 07-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The new car held it's
own this weekend at the rain
shortened "state race" in Coral
Springs.

Keep it up!
Old 07-11-2004, 06:51 PM
PW
Tech Elite

WOW....Sounds like everyone had a great weekend!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.