Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

hi guys
I have a silly question do you guys apply tyre additive before every heat or Once a day lasts till end of 3 heat 1 final???
Cheers
Old 09-03-2007, 06:51 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I try to put my compound on the same for every run so the car is more consistant. Normally right around 20 minutes or so with my tire warmers. I try to do everything the same each round as best I can.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

on setups usually says before 15min-20minute ,means I haven't got enough time to apply between heats...I'm also wondering how you team drivers clean and relube the Ball bearings cos I've bought my mi3 from a serious race driver and car extremely free and smooth I want to keep it in same condition but not sure If I'm doing wright treatment to bearings...I usually clean them with motor cleaner then sometimes wd40 then 1-2 drop oil which is for motor bushings very light one...I know some people use break pad cleaner what you can recomend ? After motor cleaner part finish do I have to wait for some time?
cheers
Old 09-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yokemad
on setups usually says before 15min-20minute ,means I haven't got enough time to apply between heats...I'm also wondering how you team drivers clean and relube the Ball bearings cos I've bought my mi3 from a serious race driver and car extremely free and smooth I want to keep it in same condition but not sure If I'm doing wright treatment to bearings...I usually clean them with motor cleaner then sometimes wd40 then 1-2 drop oil which is for motor bushings very light one...I know some people use break pad cleaner what you can recomend ? After motor cleaner part finish do I have to wait for some time?
cheers
Just run the bearings out of the box they come oiled so there is no need to clean them.

If you have no time for a 15-20 min soak of traction compound just do the best you can. Even 5 min is better then running nothing on the tires.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Thanx Adrian
don't you clean and relube bearings regularly ? I personally clean all bearings after 4-5 race meetings...
Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I absolutely love this car!! 'Nuff said
Old 09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Got my MI3 put together I'll post some pics later. All I can say this car is by far abosulutely the best workmanship I've ever seen produced in a touring car. What's xray gonna say about this. I beleive this the new high laxury car on the market. This is a thing of beauty.

I've got all my electronics installed it's tight fit but I manage to have my electronics layed out nice and neat. Considering I'm running a Novak brushless system.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yokemad: I change out bearings pretty regularly. If I'm going to a big race, I make sure the bearings are all new and I clean them out with motor spray, throw them in a jewelry cleaner, and soak them overnight in some light weight oil. Then blow them out with an air compressor and I'm good to go. If I'm run in a club race - I just throw them in the car and let it rock.
L8R Marker
Old 09-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

@Magic Marker
Do you use ceramic bearings and what are the advantages of them over the other ones?
are the ceramic ones needs to be relubing like the normal ones?
I put a really thin washer under the steering yoke and two O rings to take the slop off from turnbuckles and yoke cos there was too much slop up there how is your cars guys is that all same or is that my car only needs a cure for that bad slop???
cheers and Thanx for the tips
Old 09-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

yokemad: I only use ceramics on the drive train (diffs, pulleys, and layshafts). I hit stuff and it seems to be too expensive to run ceramics in the hubs. I still treat them the same as normal bearings and it seems to work just fine.
As for Slop - I don't use o-rings anymore - I feel it has a tendency to bind at inappropriate times and can cause premature wear on parts from collecting dirt. I would say I have plenty of play in the ballcups but not too much slop. Once I get excessive slop I start replacing parts. Hope this helps.
L8R Marker
Old 09-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You really don't want your steering completely slop free. This will make the car very twitchy unpredictable. If there's a little slop, it will allow for little imperfections in the surface. If there's no play at all, every little imperfection will change the direction of the car and it will feel like the car is wondering all over the track.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

thanx guys
You are great... I'll remove the O rings then...but I'll keep the shim under the steering post otherwise steering yoke goes up and down ... I also change the Aerial Post position It's at the centre of the chassis now...
Is there anyone have tried the Carpet setup of Chris Ashton from Mi3 Manual?
What are your thoughts about it...I just set the car with that setup do you think It is ok ?
Cheers
Old 09-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default More than I need

I got a back up kit for sale if anyone is interested. NIB

These are great kits.....

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=179876

Peace
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
You really don't want your steering completely slop free. This will make the car very twitchy unpredictable. If there's a little slop, it will allow for little imperfections in the surface. If there's no play at all, every little imperfection will change the direction of the car and it will feel like the car is wondering all over the track.
We actually learned a lot about steering "play" the other day at Hot Rod Hobbies. I went up there with Cavalieri and Maifield to hang out and get laptimes for them. Basically run after run, Cavalieri was about a half second faster on his fast lap, normally these guys are head to head. What happened is Maifield glued his servo saver down because the track for the Shootout is always smooth and well groomed, but at this point it had been sitting out for a month or so and got all rutted up. Maifield's car hit every little bump in the track and made it very unstable, Cavalieri's car basically would just cruise over the little bumps without being affected much.

You dont see this as much in on-road racing because we dont deal with a lot of bumps and ruts, but there are still the little ones, and this is why I always recommend staying with the stock Schumacher ballcups. I personally dont do anything to them to make them fit more snug, don't feel they are sloppy enough to need it.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

One thing that makes me wonder is how do you guys measure the camber and front toe with all the slop there is? My experience says the toe-in on Schumacher cars varies 1-1.5 degrees per side because of this slop (and it's like that since new), camber can vary 0,5 degree easily, so how should I interpret the numbers on the setup sheets
For my own reference I always measure toe at max toe-out and camber at max negative when I write down my setups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.