Wiki Posts
Search

Nemesis 17.5 motor thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default Timming

Timming was set at + 10...but..i took it to +4..way better...Wanting to go 10.2 roll-out with +4 timming..should be sweet.
Mike..
Ill post further vids after Sundays racing.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I just Got my new 17.5 nemesis motor and its great it has so much punch i will always stick with team epic!

Last edited by Alex Noah #34; 02-04-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have a 17.5 for sale It has one lap on it. Literally.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...is-17-5-a.html
Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default My Post from RS pro thread, for helping People out :)

Just thought id post my findings with the Nemesis 17.5 in TC with RS Pro ESC.

After spending about 2 days trying to figure out, It getting hot after only a couple of minutes (luckly i checked it at every minute or the motor would be toasted).

It also would jerk on and off at full throtle very Violent after only 1 or 2 mins.
which was very bad and concerning to me

With these settings it was faullting

Motor- 0 to 10 didnt matter always faulted
Boost- 50
turbo - 8 or 10 didnt matter
delay- didnt matter what i set it to
FDR - 6.5 to 7.2 didnt matter still faulted.
Start - 5XXX
End - 15000
Throtle- 3
Ramp- 2.0
Drag - 0

I was shocked that it got hot so quik and started to jerk and fail on /off at full throtle.

I tryed every posible thing and setting and new cables, batterys radio , virtually every thing, to no avail.

Tried Tekin motor on same everything and it went perfect.

Since Trinitys warranty is virtually non existing and i only had the motor 2 days and it did this fault from the first time out I was persistent not to give up on solving it.

I put the motor to -5 deg and all problems went away (Fixed!!! ), well i havnt raced it yet, but i put a full pack through the car, and it went fast and never got above 54C temp and it also sounded fast as well as going fast

I have come to my own conclusion that the markings on the Nemesis Can are very very wrong, worse than any other motor i have used.

I am geussing that -5 on motor is most likely +10 or more???

I hope others can maybe use this info to not cook motor straigh away or just use it as a door stop.

Many people in this forum seem to have totally hated this motor, maybe this is the problem????

Credit Given to Greg (Cannon) for pointing me in the right direction in regards to motor timing. & my spellings bad, I know

Cheers

Last edited by LOSI123; 04-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

INteresting.

Last edited by RCTech1; 04-12-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Team Tekin

Many of the new motors have a lot of timing built into them. Regardless of the physical position of the sensors there can be a lot of timing advance caused by strong rotors.

In all cases if the motor is not silky smooth with our controller you need to start by reducing the timing in the motor and or in the Tekin esc (boost and turbo). Always best to start with low timing advance and work back up. We are putting a crazy amount of timing in these motors and even slightly too much can cause problems.

Tekin Prez
Old 04-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSI123

After spending about 2 days trying to figure out, It getting hot after only a couple of minutes (luckly i checked it at every minute or the motor would be toasted).

It also would jerk on and off at full throtle very Violent after only 1 or 2 mins.

Boost- 50
Start - 5XXX
End - 15000
Throtle- 3
Ramp- 2.0
Drag - 0

I was shocked that it got hot so quik and started to jerk and fail on /off at full throtle.

I tryed every posible thing and setting and new cables, batterys radio , virtually every thing, to no avail.

Since Trinitys warranty is virtually non existing and i only had the motor 2 days and it did this fault from the first time out I was persistent not to give up on solving it.

I put the motor to -5 deg and all problems went away (Fixed!!! ), well i havnt raced it yet, but i put a full pack through the car, and it went fast and never got above 54C temp and it also sounded fast as well as going fast

I have come to my own conclusion that the markings on the Nemesis Can are very very wrong, worse than any other motor i have used.

I hope others can maybe use this info to not cook motor straigh away or just use it as a door stop.

Many people in this forum seem to have totally hated this motor, maybe this is the problem????

Credit Given to Greg (Cannon) for pointing me in the right direction in regards to motor timing. & my spellings bad, I know

Cheers

I'm fairly new to the nemesis motor and still doing some testing. But I've found the motor seems to like negative timing settings. I've never had any overheating problems and i actually had to way overgear to make the motor reach 130-140 F range after an 8 minute run. Once I narrow down some more definitive settings I will post.
idbdoug
Old 04-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My motor came at about +10 deg which I read is actually closer to Zero. Now I am confused about motor timing. In my first race i had it set at 45 Turbo boost and in the straight I was pretty quick but had no real punch. I cannot go lower than a 27t 64p which is what is in it now (ran 29 then 28 during the race). I was thinking of raising the motor timing and lowering the ESC timing.

Thoughts?

These motors seem finicky on set up but I have heard they can produce great power if set correctly
Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1fletch
My motor came at about +10 deg which I read is actually closer to Zero. Now I am confused about motor timing. In my first race i had it set at 45 Turbo boost and in the straight I was pretty quick but had no real punch. I cannot go lower than a 27t 64p which is what is in it now (ran 29 then 28 during the race). I was thinking of raising the motor timing and lowering the ESC timing.

Thoughts?

These motors seem finicky on set up but I have heard they can produce great power if set correctly
This information is from Team Trinity's tech support:
Zero timing set on the endbell index mark is zero timing on the motor. In other words, zero is zero.
Tech Support also said the motor works better with negative timing: they suggested -5 to -10 on the endbell.

What class are you running your motor in? 1-cell 1/12 scale,1/10 scale,etc
What are your turbo boost settings??Above you said your turbo boost is set at 45, did you mean 45 for timing boost????

I would try the negative timing(-5 to -10) on the endbell and go up to a larger pinion----at least 1 or 2 teeth. Your timing seems fine-maybe try 50 or so- but post your turbo boost settings,start and end rpm,turbo ramp rate, and turbo delay
idbdoug
Old 04-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Sorry guys but the problem of jerking on and off at full throtle came back. It turned out to be an intermittent fault with the sensors at higher rpm/ vibration.

So my above post may be a bit wrong.

But at the time i honestly thought i fixed it.

I have since now got a new motor under warranty from local distributer (not trinity) and this motor runs fine

Last edited by LOSI123; 04-26-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey guys just picked one up i'm planning on useing it in rubber sedan on a med. to large asplalt track with low grip .the speedo will be a tekin rs whats a good starting gear raitio and any good settings for the speedo.
thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Originally Posted by bigdadracing
hey guys just picked one up i'm planning on useing it in rubber sedan on a med. to large asplalt track with low grip .the speedo will be a tekin rs whats a good starting gear raitio and any good settings for the speedo.
thanks in advance
hey bb-g let me ask Devin , I'll let you know what I find out
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by idbdoug
This information is from Team Trinity's tech support:
Zero timing set on the endbell index mark is zero timing on the motor. In other words, zero is zero.
Tech Support also said the motor works better with negative timing: they suggested -5 to -10 on the endbell.

What class are you running your motor in? 1-cell 1/12 scale,1/10 scale,etc
What are your turbo boost settings??Above you said your turbo boost is set at 45, did you mean 45 for timing boost????

I would try the negative timing(-5 to -10) on the endbell and go up to a larger pinion----at least 1 or 2 teeth. Your timing seems fine-maybe try 50 or so- but post your turbo boost settings,start and end rpm,turbo ramp rate, and turbo delay
idbdoug
Still experimenting, ran same gearing (about a 7.0 RO) with minus endbell timing and ran the turbo at 18, then tried endbell back to zero with 45 and 18. My RPM is now set 3xxx starting and 15xxx ending. Still trying to find the exact sweet spot. Going to break the connector pulling it off and on so much. BTW it definately had more punch running negative endbell timing, what I have learned so far is the starting and ending rpm is critical as is enbell or CAN timing (Motor). I am starting to learn more about the motor and what it likes. Now I wonder what a hand picked dynotuned version would be like....

I have a tuned duo 1 that I have ready to try but I know it will react quite a bit different, so I am reluctant to put it in.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSI123

Boost- 50
Start - 5XXX
End - 15000
Throtle- 3
Ramp- 2.0
Drag - 0

Cheers
I for one hope you are right. I am begining to wonder if I should have gone with my first pick the D3.
It seems to start strong then poops out after a couple of minutes even at 140 deg.
The 10.5 Nemisis has been great so far
Both are in my SCT's. I liked the Duo 2 better. I will have to play with the timing to see if it's going on e-bay this weekend and being replaced with the D3.