Wiki Posts
Search

NEW MyLaps Transponder

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Icey101
Ordered my transponders early March (charged then)...they finally arrived in the mail today.

I have not plugged them in or tried to use them yet, but one issue I really do not like is how the transponder number is not really visible. It appears the number was stamped on the housing, then when it was all glued it faded a bit on the bottom, anyone else notice this?
I think its the fact that the case is thin, with the black components behind it makes it hard to read. The early pictures I saw had the number printed in black. Easier to read in black.

The upgrade path is not really worth it. Probably cheaper to sell your current transponder and just buy a new one. Plus it helps out other racers and not MyLaps. I'm sure they want to take all the old ones off the market to keep the prices inflated.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BNiels707
I placed an order in January (the 16th I believe) and still have not heard anything (except to keep waiting).

I'm guessing like everything with this stupid 'upgrade,' the reality of the situation is pretty far removed from what they are telling people.
I ordered the upgrade in Dec. The transponder arrived yesterday

Gorden
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

About three weeks ago I was finally told to send my old transponder in. This was by far the best part of the process, from the time I sent mine in to receiving the new one was about 5 days. Glad this whole upgrade is behind me.

If anyone hasn't received their upgrade yet, I would be contacting MyLaps.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got mine earlier this month. I just wish they didn't use UPS to send to Canada. UPS are extortionists. I got charged $43.27 in brokerage fees for single transponder in an envelope not much larger than a regular letter. So in the end it cost me around $150 US and took 2 months from when I ordered it.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
I got mine earlier this month. I just wish they didn't use UPS to send to Canada. UPS are extortionists. I got charged $43.27 in brokerage fees for single transponder in an envelope not much larger than a regular letter. So in the end it cost me around $150 US and took 2 months from when I ordered it.
I see some serious problems with companies that do that. $20 for an envelope size, let alone 43.27... Monopoly anyone? We need a competitor to drive costs down.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa
I see some serious problems with companies that do that. $20 for an envelope size, let alone 43.27... Monopoly anyone? We need a competitor to drive costs down.
To clarify, the $43.27 was charged by UPS (United Parcel Service) for bringing it over the border. That is on top of the $20 US that Mylaps charged for shipping. They could have just mailed it priority with tracking through USPS and I would have not had to pay someone to give me my package which they were already paid to deliver. I would accept paying a few dollars more, but when it is almost half the cost of the PT and the PT so small... grrr
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

upgrade to RC4 will ramdom no. send back to you !
Old 04-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To the folks in Canada - you can clear packages through Custom's yourself. When you have something shipped via ground transportation by FedEx UPS, DHL, etc. you can request that the item be held at the depot for pickup. You then need to do a few things, all of which is detailed in this thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/canadian...e-fee-ups.html

I've cleared packages through Custom's before, and the process is simple. You need to have the time, however, so you need to decide if it's worth it. Here in Calgary, the CBSA and UPS are about 5 minutes apart, so it's really no more effort than going to the depot to pick up a package.

For me, I upgraded 13 transponders, and ended up saving almost $70. That was worth it!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

It looks like they've changed up the packaging of the TP's a bit. I ordered RC4's, and the wires appear to be non-replaceable as the package looks to be epoxied. From their website, RC4's looked to be openable, whereas the hybrid's looked to be epoxied.

Bummer. The nice thing is that I have a bunch of replacement wires that I can use for something else.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
It looks like they've changed up the packaging of the TP's a bit. I ordered RC4's, and the wires appear to be non-replaceable as the package looks to be epoxied. From their website, RC4's looked to be openable, whereas the hybrid's looked to be epoxied.

Bummer. The nice thing is that I have a bunch of replacement wires that I can use for something else.
MyLaps encases EVERYTHING in epoxy, even the loops and coax converter. That way you can't get inside it and figure out their secrets.

Also, I have two rc4 hybrids with broken wires right at the epoxy. It's probably because they use that stiff, brittle wire. But they've monopolized the industry, what can you do.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

. But they've monopolized the industry, what can you do.

use trackmate system way cheaper
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Robby368
MyLaps encases EVERYTHING in epoxy, even the loops and coax converter. That way you can't get inside it and figure out their secrets.

Also, I have two rc4 hybrids with broken wires right at the epoxy. It's probably because they use that stiff, brittle wire. But they've monopolized the industry, what can you do.
You can replace the wires...need a bit of soldering skill though..

Basically, strip the outside casing off with a knife, then take a hot soldering iron (preferably with a flat tip), and heat the epoxy that is covering the solder points for the wires. The epoxy will melt away, so you can then use a knife blade to then remove the material. I suggest doing this a few times to make sure you don't go too far each time.
Once you get to the solder points, just clean it all up with a blade again, and resolder in the new wires. One thing to be aware of (and this is certainly the case on the Pure's) is that the red and black wires are swapped over.

To close it all up, I just covered the case in heatshrink, and used a sharpie to colour the exposed end, leaving a little space for the LED to blink through

Now have nice short wires on the case, and it's all black stealth, although doesn't clip into the holder any more. Bare in mind as well, no warranty on that anymore, but it can be done
Attached Thumbnails NEW MyLaps Transponder-img_4384.jpg