Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

scoyle- yes min drv at 15. i like the instant response it gives sorry i forgot that
Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JBM Racing
Well guys, I just ran a 17.5T SP with the new Kinetic, kept up with the Tekins, with some guessed settings:

V1.3 software.
Small Track
Xray T2009 Internal Ratio 6.9
Speed Passion 17.5T got to 60 Deg C
Start timing 4000RPM, end 15000RPM, 55 deg no boost.

During the club night, tried lowering the internal ratio (6.5) but car went slower. I was thinking of keeping the internal ratio and moving the start timing to 6000RPM and 17000RPM with 55 deg no boost. or maybe I should have tried the default 4000RPM to 12000RPM?

What do you think? Whats the best way to tune this beast? I was thinking about buying the Novak Sentry data logger to workout what the motor RPM gets up.
a few pages back i posted my 17.5 set-up. it seems to be working for most. give it a try. should put u in the ball park
Old 09-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
Just ordered the Eagle Tree V3 data logger. It can log RPM, temperature, current, voltage, throttle/steering position and even more for planes and heli's. Logging can be set to as low as 10 times per second.

What's the best way to set the timing advance and rev ranges once I have the data from the data logger? I will be able to see the max RPM on the main straight but what about the start RPM.

Also, should I do a run with no timing as a reference point?

I suppose over time and several recordings the current information will be useful as if I'm over geared or have too much timing the current draw will be much higher.
Eagle Tree does look good, any reason why you didn't buy the Novak Sentry? I am thinking down the same lines, but do you set the max RPM to the max RPM recorded down the straight when the timing is set to zero? or set the max RPM to a different calculated value... There must be some sort of calculation. Hobbywing have some sort of calculation to work out their software.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ed517
ESCMAN- just an idea but how about a small notebox somewhere so users can write gearing and track info for a saved profile. that would be SWEET!!!
This sounds like a pretty reasonable idea, I will look into adding this feature in our next update to NovaLink software.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 09-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ed517
scoyle- yes min drv at 15. i like the instant response it gives sorry i forgot that
Thanks for that - looking forward to giving 17.5 a go. Will let you know how I get on.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JBM Racing
Eagle Tree does look good, any reason why you didn't buy the Novak Sentry? I am thinking down the same lines, but do you set the max RPM to the max RPM recorded down the straight when the timing is set to zero? or set the max RPM to a different calculated value... There must be some sort of calculation. Hobbywing have some sort of calculation to work out their software.
I went for the Eagle Tree as I live in the UK and couldn't find the Novak data logger on sale anywhere. I tried to order one from Novak in the US but they are on back order.

All I really want is the RPM logging and the Eagle Tree does this plus it was a bit cheaper.

I would imagine the max RPM range on the ESC wants to be set a couple of 1000 RPM lower than the max recorded RPM. As for doing a run with no timing I'm not sure as the motor will rev higher with more timing, that's the whole point.

I'm thinking of doing a run with the settings I used last which seemed in the right ball park and fine tune depending on the RPM data. I could really do with a guide or someone more clued up on motor timing for how to use the data to setup the ESC.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Success

Well, my Kinettic ESC and Ballistic 5.5 are working together in perfect harmony.

Hats off to the entire Novak crew.

Wow, what an incredible experience. I must share with you how impressed and blown away I am with the Customer Support at Novak Electronics. They are truly committed to seeing the end user is 100% satisfied with their products.

Its just amazing that in a few short days a I went from feeling like I had wasted my money on a product i couldn't make work, to knowing that now, I can buy any Novak product on the market and be assured that this company will stand behind it. It is remarkable how committed everyone at the company is to helping the consumer. I spoke to Bob on day one, and from that day forward, the service has never fallen off and has been the best customer service department I have spoken to in a long time. They really do care about the racer and their needs.

Adnon and Ruth have helped me every step of the way. Adnon is a genius and really knows the ins and outs of the Kinetic. He isn't annoyed that there are issues, rather he embraces the challenges so he can learn what is going wrong and what it takes to make the fix. Ruth has been very helpful in orchestrating shipments and keeping the communications lines open. She has initiated calls to find out how the changes worked.

Yes there are some issues with this product right out of the box. But, Novak has addressed these issues and is very pro-actively making changes and posting updates. This Kinetic ESC is a fluid evolution. The days of buying a new ESC every year to keep your RC on the podium are fading away. With the programmability of the Kinetic, you will download and install the updates and keep going. It's no different from an iPhone in the sense that Apple is updating the software every day. Each time you dock you iPhone it updates. WEEKLY you see updates to the iTunes software. Its a very highly technologically advanced product that the consumer market is pushing, forcing, the supplier to have in the hands of the consumer. The Kinetic is the same type of cutting edge "smart" device. These "Smart ESC's" are evolving and will need regular updates to keep them at the forefront of the technology.

It's coming, and its working. If you have any issues at all, I highly suggest you pick up the phone or pound out an e-mail to Novak so they can help. They want to help and will do everything necessary to resolve any issue that arises.

Again, I cant say enough about how pleased I am with the the entire resolution process. Novak cares about their racers and it shows. As I said above, my confidence in Novak products is off the charts. Keep up the good work gang!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

This is just an fyi.....is me, with the two melted Kinetics. I must say Novak rules as far as customer service goes. They have went above and beyond what was needed.

If this is the difference between paying 149.00 or 200.00 for an esc, I feel like the extra money is well spent. The person helping me is Jackie Berber, and she is incredible.

Because any piece of machinery can fail. When that happens, I want a good company behind the product. With Novak, we have this, and then some.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

and they put up with me!!! lol
Old 09-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

I've never known a company so committed to helping their customers. Great work Novak and a great product in the Kinetic. My 3rd Novak race ESC and by no means my last.

Novak ARE the best!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Just ordered the Eagle Tree V3 data logger. It can log RPM, temperature, current, voltage, throttle/steering position and even more for planes and heli's. Logging can be set to as low as 10 times per second....
You will most likely need to buy the RPM sensor harness that Novak sells (and modify it) that taps into the sensor cable to get RPM to work. The Eagle Tree optional brushless RPM sensor that ties in to the motor leads doesn't work on our sensored car motors. Not sure why. Y vs. Delta maybe?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've never known a company so committed to helping their customers. Great work Novak and a great product in the Kinetic. My 3rd Novak race ESC and by no means my last.

Novak ARE the best!
Novak treated me like I was a team sponsored racer dying to have my stuff by Sat morning instead of who I really am...that being a 45 year old guy whos claim to fame is sitting at the Rainbow drinking with Lemmy from Motorhead.

The way they treated me made me question how I treat my customers, and I'm goign to do better.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
You will most likely need to buy the RPM sensor harness that Novak sells (and modify it) that taps into the sensor cable to get RPM to work. The Eagle Tree optional brushless RPM sensor that ties in to the motor leads doesn't work on our sensored car motors. Not sure why. Y vs. Delta maybe?
My Eagle Tree measures RPM fine with My Novak Ballistic in 1/12....I'm using the brushless RPM Sensor

Steve Dunn
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Need some recommendations for settings. I'm taking the maiden run tomorrow and wondered if I might get some setting pointers. The track is roughly 2000 sq ft and the back straight is roughly 50' so its a tight technical track, I'm running TC with 17.5 SS mtr on Jaco blue and a FDR of 5.2. I've seen ed517 settings earlier but just wondered if ED or someone might have some newer settings or a suggestions as to what I should be changing first.

Thanks
Scott
Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

start with what i posted for Scoyle on page 52 but leave the motor on N. if temps are high raise the start RPM alittle at a time. let us know ur results....

Last edited by ed517; 09-09-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.