Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ed517
im assuming the indoors u mean a carpet track, as this plays a roll in track conditions(increases load on mtr during excel. aka less wheel spin) carpet also doesnt have the high surface temps as concrete wich are all factors in how you can sett up your car so i would start here
FDR 5.2-5.4
start 6900(if car boggs raise start and end in small amounts evenly)
end 13800
55 timing boost off(if the stait is short)
mtr timing 32.5(1/2 way to first line)
current limiter 3 (1 and 2 only produce more heat)
thr profile default 2( sometimes i make this more aggrsve)
a large fan will help keep temps in check
our carpet track is currently the pit area for the outdoor tracks. so there hasnt been anywhere to test. anything i can do to help let me know
Thanks for the help...

Yes you're right indoors on carpet - you say motor timing... assuming this means physical timing on the motor and is 2.5 degrees more than standard does that make much difference. I just have never played with physical timing recently.

Last edited by scoyle; 09-07-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added thanks :-)
Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scoyle
Thanks for the help...

Yes you're right indoors on carpet - you say motor timing... assuming this means physical timing on the motor and is 2.5 degrees more than standard does that make much difference. I just have never played with physical timing recently.
yes you are right,helps add a little POP for those low speed corners.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

ESCMAN- just an idea but how about a small notebox somewhere so users can write gearing and track info for a saved profile. that would be SWEET!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Novak Two,

Any word on when the Profile Sharing Database will be up. Thanks for the support.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Well guys, I just ran a 17.5T SP with the new Kinetic, kept up with the Tekins, with some guessed settings:

V1.3 software.
Small Track
Xray T2009 Internal Ratio 6.9
Speed Passion 17.5T got to 60 Deg C
Start timing 4000RPM, end 15000RPM, 55 deg no boost.

During the club night, tried lowering the internal ratio (6.5) but car went slower. I was thinking of keeping the internal ratio and moving the start timing to 6000RPM and 17000RPM with 55 deg no boost. or maybe I should have tried the default 4000RPM to 12000RPM?

What do you think? Whats the best way to tune this beast? I was thinking about buying the Novak Sentry data logger to workout what the motor RPM gets up.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JBM Racing
Well guys, I just ran a 17.5T SP with the new Kinetic, kept up with the Tekins, with some guessed settings:

V1.3 software.
Small Track
Xray T2009 Internal Ratio 6.9
Speed Passion 17.5T got to 60 Deg C
Start timing 4000RPM, end 15000RPM, 55 deg no boost.

During the club night, tried lowering the internal ratio (6.5) but car went slower. I was thinking of keeping the internal ratio and moving the start timing to 6000RPM and 17000RPM with 55 deg no boost. or maybe I should have tried the default 4000RPM to 12000RPM?

What do you think? Whats the best way to tune this beast? I was thinking about buying the Novak Sentry data logger to workout what the motor RPM gets up.
I'm having a hard time working out what rev range is best. I know the max rpm of my 10.5 is about 28000 but does it ever get near this on the track under load?

It would be good to know the revs actually used around a given track. Might look at the sentry data logger too.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Just a little more help to understand....

So Adnon sent me the new brain board and I installed it. Lights actually work now. Shouldn't the kinetic work right out of the box without the parameters set? Shouldn't the defaults work for most applications?

So I tried to run the kinetic in my slash 4x4 with the ballistic 5.5 motor. Without changing any of the default settings, the truck runs for 3-4 minuets then the motor seems to shut down. the ESC lights appear to be working correctly. When I apply full throttle, the light turns green. I have re calibrated the transmitter to the ESC but still no action. Why would it work for just a few minuets then shut down? the motor is not even the slightest bit warm. If I unplug my 2s lipo for a while, then replug, the truck works again for a few mins, then shuts down a gain. Keep in mind the esc still has power, however, very little current seems to be going to the motor.

So I go to the novalink software and plug in the esc. It gives me an initial warning that the start RPM is out of range, the end RPM is out of range, the boost is out of range, etc...but there are no boxes to adjust this information. Am I crazy?

So I am a day away from shipping the whole damn thing back. What am I doing wrong?

I know there are several NOVAK techs that read this forum.....tell me what to put in the boxes and make this thing run! I run on a track similar to Hot Rod Hobbies. I don't want anything fancy at this point, I just want the $400+ I spent on a speed control and motor to actually run for an entire race.

Please help!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 99lugnutz
So Adnon sent me the new brain board and I installed it. Lights actually work now. Shouldn't the kinetic work right out of the box without the parameters set? Shouldn't the defaults work for most applications?

So I tried to run the kinetic in my slash 4x4 with the ballistic 5.5 motor. Without changing any of the default settings, the truck runs for 3-4 minuets then the motor seems to shut down. the ESC lights appear to be working correctly. When I apply full throttle, the light turns green. I have re calibrated the transmitter to the ESC but still no action. Why would it work for just a few minuets then shut down? the motor is not even the slightest bit warm. If I unplug my 2s lipo for a while, then replug, the truck works again for a few mins, then shuts down a gain. Keep in mind the esc still has power, however, very little current seems to be going to the motor.

So I go to the novalink software and plug in the esc. It gives me an initial warning that the start RPM is out of range, the end RPM is out of range, the boost is out of range, etc...but there are no boxes to adjust this information. Am I crazy?

So I am a day away from shipping the whole damn thing back. What am I doing wrong?

I know there are several NOVAK techs that read this forum.....tell me what to put in the boxes and make this thing run! I run on a track similar to Hot Rod Hobbies. I don't want anything fancy at this point, I just want the $400+ I spent on a speed control and motor to actually run for an entire race.

Please help!
Check the low voltage cut off, it sounds like it is kicking in too soon. Make sure it is set at 6.2V for 2S lipo.

The errors seem pretty standard the first time you connect the esc.

Definately update to Software version 1.3 both the software on your PC and the firmware on the ESC. I had soooooo many problems with version 1.1, mainly with the transmitter points being messed up when programming from the novalink.

Last edited by dvaid852456; 09-08-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

David,

I have the current 1.3 versions for both. The low voltage protection is on, but it might be set to 6.4 and not 6.2. I will have to check on that.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Not sure then dude. 6.4V should be okay. Anywhere around 6V is good.

Hopefully a Novak tech can help. Drop them an email, they were pretty helpfull with my probs.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by 99lugnutz
David,

I have the current 1.3 versions for both. The low voltage protection is on, but it might be set to 6.4 and not 6.2. I will have to check on that.
I have forwarded your questions to Engineering.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dear Novak, please update the Brushless Motor Gearing Guide for the 25.5. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by pmes
Dear Novak, please update the Brushless Motor Gearing Guide for the 25.5. Thanks!
Email to Tech Support/Marketing sent. Thanks for spotting that.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
I'm having a hard time working out what rev range is best. I know the max rpm of my 10.5 is about 28000 but does it ever get near this on the track under load?

It would be good to know the revs actually used around a given track. Might look at the sentry data logger too.
Just ordered the Eagle Tree V3 data logger. It can log RPM, temperature, current, voltage, throttle/steering position and even more for planes and heli's. Logging can be set to as low as 10 times per second.

What's the best way to set the timing advance and rev ranges once I have the data from the data logger? I will be able to see the max RPM on the main straight but what about the start RPM.

Also, should I do a run with no timing as a reference point?

I suppose over time and several recordings the current information will be useful as if I'm over geared or have too much timing the current draw will be much higher.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ed517
im assuming the indoors u mean a carpet track, as this plays a roll in track conditions(increases load on mtr during excel. aka less wheel spin) carpet also doesnt have the high surface temps as concrete wich are all factors in how you can sett up your car so i would start here
FDR 5.2-5.4
start 6900(if car boggs raise start and end in small amounts evenly)
end 13800
55 timing boost off(if the stait is short)
mtr timing 32.5(1/2 way to first line)
current limiter 3 (1 and 2 only produce more heat)
thr profile default 2( sometimes i make this more aggrsve)
a large fan will help keep temps in check
our carpet track is currently the pit area for the outdoor tracks. so there hasnt been anywhere to test. anything i can do to help let me know
ed517 - have you put the minimum drive back to zero again or are you still playing with it in 17.5? Only asking as I realised that these settings aside from the FDR and the current limiter are not too far away from my outdoor 10.5 settings which were;

Motor: Ballistic 10.5 at 30 degree (default)
FDR 7.45
start 6000
end 12000
55 timing boost on
current limiter 1
thr profile default 2(custom)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.