Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY T3

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

On a positive note. I've managed to put literally hundreds of laps on my T3 (Adamage mentioned) without any sign of fatigue on the chassis at all.

I've beat the car up pretty good while finding the best setup, hit walls, clipped corners and basically destroyed 2 bodies. I'm running the hard bumper, maybe that's the difference, IDK.

I can tell you that for me, the T3 is faster after only 2 weeks of setup than my 009 was after 3 months of test and tune.

pardon the carpet fiber in the picture
Attached Thumbnails XRAY T3-dsc00422.jpg  

Last edited by pcar951; 12-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Broken chassis

Thanks for the advice on locating parts. I am running a 17.5 in rcgt class. Despite what happened the car drove like a dream before it broke. Hope one piece suspension will not stiffen it up too much.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
On a positive note. I've managed to put literally hundreds of laps on my T3 (Adamage mentioned) without any sign of fatigue on the chassis at all.

I've beat the car up pretty good while finding the best setup, hit walls, clipped corners and basically destroyed 2 bodies. I'm running the hard bumper, maybe that's the difference, IDK.

I can tell you that for me, the T3 is faster after only 2 weeks of setup than my 009 was after 3 months of test and tune.

are you running a US edition? I think so far the issue only appear on EU edition...
Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I run rubber tire with the EU.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Too bad you weren't there tonight. Greg had his T3 and did a ton of laps, too.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Tech Regular

Out-of-box T3 is surely faster than a T2009 which I setup for approx 11+months. But I am a victim of a failed front suspension holder & slightly cracked chasis around the screw hole. Cant believe the plastic shock can hold up better than the CF chasis during impact.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I'm curious?

Originally Posted by MIKA
Out-of-box T3 is surely faster than a T2009 which I setup for approx 11+months. But I am a victim of a failed front suspension holder & slightly cracked chasis around the screw hole. Cant believe the plastic shock can hold up better than the CF chasis during impact.
how much faster is it after 11 months of tuning your 009? Is that with the same gearing, motor, speedo, battery, tires, track layout and track temps?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Does anyone know if RC America received their second batch this week and if it has shipped out to hobby shops yet? thanks...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If you look at mine from the bottom, it doesn't show any damage either. All the visible damage was on the top side of the chassis where the screw caused the carbonfiber to billow as it went through. Someone back in the thread said their chassis looked fine until they checked the top side to make sure it was still 100% flat.

Try taking off the entire front of the car and check for damage using a long, flat object (like a mudding knife) to see if the chassis is still flat in that area.

I personally am interested to see if the cars that haven't broke are still showing signs of fatigue in the carbon fiber.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)
Default T3

Wow...some people really have a "hate-on" for this car. Just wondering if it really justified?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
IMHO, the Suspension mounts look like they may be a good place for tweek or bends. The HB/Tamiya mounts have a much more substantial "bridge" between the two sides, and they bend when hit hard enough. The inner front appears to have one screw, I would be concerned with the durability of that for average drivers. The Tamiya one piece mounts have two screws...

I am no engineer, so I am probably incorrect, but just kind of stood out to me.
a wise man once said...

Thats the problem with having Pros test drive the car... they never really crash.. so they dont test it properly for durability.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

THEY ARE ALL HATERS
Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ha, I would not say wise, It seems I have a tendency to hit things hard, so some experience comes into play.... If you say it cannot be broken, trust me, I will find a way...

I was kind of surprised to see the car engineered that way. Regardless, Xray is a top notch company and is working to make things right, but if they need another tester, I will be very glad to help out

Drew, you know how to get a hold of me...

Originally Posted by Hebiki
a wise man once said...

Thats the problem with having Pros test drive the car... they never really crash.. so they dont test it properly for durability.

Last edited by TimPotter; 12-03-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am disturbed by the recent x-ray stable

as an owner of every previous x-ray touring car chassis made,,, i am shocked at the new chassis,,, from an snapshot i figured there would be problems with the suspension holders,,, cmon mr hudy wtf was wrong with the tried and proven suspension holders, and the ALUMINUM turnbuckles,,, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed with a big deuce in their shorts

no fricken way im gonna buy the t3,,, my love affair with x-ray is over! if i wanted a car that wont survive a good beating i woulda bought another tamiya, i was hoping the new touring car wasnt going to be a venerable turd after seeing the pan cars they put out and sadly i was wrong

the pan cars look like 10 year old engineering, like seriously its the hpi with a different rear pod,,, look at the xray 12 beside a hot bodies 12th,,, i expected more out of them
Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default xray t3

Xray's goal has always been to make their new models faster. The fk04 and fk05 were tanks that would only break if you tried to break them. The t2 was faster but not quite as durable. The t3 is also faster but not quite as durable. Each interation in the line has tried to shave weight anywhere possible and has gotten lighter. Looking at the pictures and reading about the damaged chassis, xray should have either gone with suspension blocks (which they would have charged $20 a piece for) or should have at least used 2 screw holes for the single holders.

They have already fixed the issue by going to the 1 piece block. But the simple truth is that newer cars are not as durable as older ones. The same thing is true for tamiya. The original 415 was a tank. When they went to the lightweight suspension, people started breaking parts. Tamiya has followed the same path as xray; newer, faster cars that get more fragile.

Racers have 2 choices: use older designs that were tanks, but are not that competitive, or learn to drive clean. You can't have both, at least today.

Since xray has already fixed the issue, and is including the new part free, can people stop saying they won't buy the new car because of this issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.