Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY T3

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I agree that the hammer video is compelling but it was only hit from one direction. I'm not going to pass judgement on those that have broken it since we don't necessarily know how they race relative to us. Perhaps they run mod and you run stock. Perhaps your track has click track /flappers and theirs are 2X4s, or perhaps there was just a bad batch of CF. I have seen and heard of enough of these broken chassis to see that this isn't just an isolated incident. I agree that it is great that Xray has come out with a fix for this but to say it is normal that a chassis breaks and that people shouldn't be upset about it is just ridiculous. I have raced about 15 different cars over 5 years and have never broken a chassis on any of them.

Let me put it another way. Do you carry around a spare chassis plate? Do you carry around spare suspension parts?

Also it appears Xray has a picture of a part and a part#. As far as I can tell you can't get it anywhere yet. At least not in the US.
For the record I run Mod and 13.5 once my 2nd car arrives next week. Currently I don't have any parts for this car and have been running it for the past 2 weeks. I've never carried around a spare chassis either and don't plan to. We had a pro driver break his new T3 last week and broke the chassis, and some other parts but I'm quite sure not this specific part. Again, if this issue was caused due to a defect that causes the crash and the subsequent issue then I'd understand but it's the reverse! It's like me crashing my Bimmer and then going to BMW and saying hey I crashed my X and since 100 other drivers around the world crashed and their front end is damaged as well then it's your fault!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
For the record I run Mod and 13.5 once my 2nd car arrives next week. Currently I don't have any parts for this car and have been running it for the past 2 weeks. I've never carried around a spare chassis either and don't plan to. We had a pro driver break his new T3 last week and broke the chassis, and some other parts but I'm quite sure not this specific part. Again, if this issue was caused due to a defect that causes the crash and the subsequent issue then I'd understand but it's the reverse! It's like me crashing my Bimmer and then going to BMW and saying hey I crashed my X and since 100 other drivers around the world crashed and their front end is damaged as well then it's your fault!
Its a bad analogy. It is like BMW causing the steering column to be the weak link in a crash and killing the driver rather than building a car in which the bumper takes the impact and saves the driver. BMW didn't cause the accident but they are responsible for building a car that isn't safe.

What do you mean not this specific part? The specific part is the chassis which you said he broke?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Its a bad analogy. It is like BMW causing the steering column to be the weak link in a crash and killing the driver rather than building a car in which the bumper takes the impact and saves the driver. BMW didn't cause the accident but they are responsible for building a car that isn't safe.

What do you mean not this specific part? The specific part is the chassis which you said he broke?
One probelm - No one died from crashing their rc car!

"What do you mean not this specific part? The specific part is the chassis which you said he broke?" He didn't break the part on his chassis that other's have broken.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

One probelm - No one died from crashing their rc car!

"What do you mean not this specific part? The specific part is the chassis which you said he broke?" He didn't break the part on his chassis that other's have broken.
No but the chassis, like me, is the most valuable part of the car.

breaking another part of the chassis scares me more. I think in 5 years of racing I've only seen 1 broken chassis. At least lower plates.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

No but the chassis, like me, is the most valuable part of the car.

breaking another part of the chassis scares me more. I think in 5 years of racing I've only seen 1 broken chassis. At least lower plates.
5 years...that's it?!?...not trying to be rude here so please don't be angry with me but I've been racing competitively off and on for the past 17 years. Started with 6 cell 12th and I've seen chassis break in DD cars and touring cars...it happens! Forgot to add about this statement you made "BMW didn't cause the accident but they are responsible for building a car that isn't safe." BMW would be responsible IF it were deemed that the car was defective but that isn't the case with Xray. It would be foolish of anyone to say that with all we know about Xray quality from past cars that they didn't test this car extensively. And they even went back and did more testing by requesting drivers to come to their facility and delibertly crash their cars and they still didn't experience the issue and then beat the hell out of mount in that area without any failures so it could be said that the chassis design isn't defective by nature. Let me ask this, what do you think they should do now? Recall every car and take it off the market and redesign the car? I'm just a bit confused as to why this is still such an issue after they have addressed it.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

5 years...that's it?!?...not trying to be rude here so please don't be angry with me but I've been racing competitively off and on for the past 17 years. Started with 6 cell 12th and I've seen chassis break in DD cars and touring cars...it happens! Forgot to add about this statement you made "BMW didn't cause the accident but they are responsible for building a car that isn't safe." BMW would be responsible IF it were deemed that the car was defective but that isn't the case with Xray. It would be foolish of anyone to say that with all we know about Xray quality from past cars that they didn't test this car extensively. And they even went back and did more testing by requesting drivers to come to their facility and delibertly crash their cars and they still didn't experience the issue and then beat the hell out of mount in that area without any failures so it could be said that the chassis design isn't defective by nature. Let me ask this, what do you think they should do now? Recall every car and take it off the market and redesign the car? I'm just a bit confused as to why this is still such an issue after they have addressed it.
Not to be rude but you haven't been keeping up. You said "I haven't quite figured out why people seem to feel this car shouldn't break". No one said that. My responses are merely in response to that. All I said is that it is reasonable to expect something else to break prior to the chassis breaking. Every TC is built this way. Like I said it is good Xray is addressing this. My beef isn't with Xray, its with you suggesting a chassis breaking is preferable to other parts breaking.

BTW, I've been involved in RC off and on for 23 years but only racing competitive on-road for 5.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

my brace

i took a ks steel rod 3.18mm dia. and cut it to 35mm long the messsured out 4mm on each end which is the thickness of the rear arm mounts then put in a dermel and filed down the 4mm section to 3mm dia. thick. then for the pully i filed out a 4mm section down to 3mm. heres the pics.
Attached Thumbnails XRAY T3-img00058-20091129-1736.jpg   XRAY T3-img00059-20091129-1737.jpg   XRAY T3-img00060-20091129-1738.jpg   XRAY T3-img00065-20091129-1743.jpg  
Old 11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so what holds it in place?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Vicko
so what holds it in place?
The arm mounts. I got some of these to try once my car arrives:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUL4&P=7
Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

the arm holders hold it due to the fact the the inner dia. is bigger than the the holes it sits in the 3.00mm fits in the the holes and the the dia steps up to 3.18 which is bigger than the holes it fits in to
Old 11-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

my fix does not use the arm mounst that are placstic it cant move out to thoes cause the dia. is bigger than the holes are
Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RLMW VQ
the arm holders hold it due to the fact the the inner dia. is bigger than the the holes it sits in the 3.00mm fits in the the holes and the the dia steps up to 3.18 which is bigger than the holes it fits in to
You would be fine with a straight 3mm shaft because it would be held in by the suspension holders from the outside.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Does the 4mm shaft clear the belt? The picture I saw with a 3mm shaft looked like the clearance was really tight. Just curious.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah but then you put stress on the hinge pin in a hard hit this way the stress is on the rod which cost 2.00 to make
Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

the shaft it 3.18dia and thats is way i filed down a section for the pully to take any clearence issues away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.