R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #886
Tech Elite
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,719
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I agree that the hammer video is compelling but it was only hit from one direction. I'm not going to pass judgement on those that have broken it since we don't necessarily know how they race relative to us. Perhaps they run mod and you run stock. Perhaps your track has click track /flappers and theirs are 2X4s, or perhaps there was just a bad batch of CF. I have seen and heard of enough of these broken chassis to see that this isn't just an isolated incident. I agree that it is great that Xray has come out with a fix for this but to say it is normal that a chassis breaks and that people shouldn't be upset about it is just ridiculous. I have raced about 15 different cars over 5 years and have never broken a chassis on any of them.

Let me put it another way. Do you carry around a spare chassis plate? Do you carry around spare suspension parts?

Also it appears Xray has a picture of a part and a part#. As far as I can tell you can't get it anywhere yet. At least not in the US.
For the record I run Mod and 13.5 once my 2nd car arrives next week. Currently I don't have any parts for this car and have been running it for the past 2 weeks. I've never carried around a spare chassis either and don't plan to. We had a pro driver break his new T3 last week and broke the chassis, and some other parts but I'm quite sure not this specific part. Again, if this issue was caused due to a defect that causes the crash and the subsequent issue then I'd understand but it's the reverse! It's like me crashing my Bimmer and then going to BMW and saying hey I crashed my X and since 100 other drivers around the world crashed and their front end is damaged as well then it's your fault!
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #887
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
For the record I run Mod and 13.5 once my 2nd car arrives next week. Currently I don't have any parts for this car and have been running it for the past 2 weeks. I've never carried around a spare chassis either and don't plan to. We had a pro driver break his new T3 last week and broke the chassis, and some other parts but I'm quite sure not this specific part. Again, if this issue was caused due to a defect that causes the crash and the subsequent issue then I'd understand but it's the reverse! It's like me crashing my Bimmer and then going to BMW and saying hey I crashed my X and since 100 other drivers around the world crashed and their front end is damaged as well then it's your fault!
Its a bad analogy. It is like BMW causing the steering column to be the weak link in a crash and killing the driver rather than building a car in which the bumper takes the impact and saves the driver. BMW didn't cause the accident but they are responsible for building a car that isn't safe.

What do you mean not this specific part? The specific part is the chassis which you said he broke?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #888
Tech Elite
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,719
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Its a bad analogy. It is like BMW causing the steering column to be the weak link in a crash and killing the driver rather than building a car in which the bumper takes the impact and saves the driver. BMW didn't cause the accident but they are responsible for building a car that isn't safe.

What do you mean not this specific part? The specific part is the chassis which you said he broke?
One probelm - No one died from crashing their rc car!

"What do you mean not this specific part? The specific part is the chassis which you said he broke?" He didn't break the part on his chassis that other's have broken.
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #889
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
One probelm - No one died from crashing their rc car!

"What do you mean not this specific part? The specific part is the chassis which you said he broke?" He didn't break the part on his chassis that other's have broken.
No but the chassis, like me, is the most valuable part of the car.

breaking another part of the chassis scares me more. I think in 5 years of racing I've only seen 1 broken chassis. At least lower plates.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #890
Tech Elite
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,719
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
No but the chassis, like me, is the most valuable part of the car.

breaking another part of the chassis scares me more. I think in 5 years of racing I've only seen 1 broken chassis. At least lower plates.
5 years...that's it?!?...not trying to be rude here so please don't be angry with me but I've been racing competitively off and on for the past 17 years. Started with 6 cell 12th and I've seen chassis break in DD cars and touring cars...it happens! Forgot to add about this statement you made "BMW didn't cause the accident but they are responsible for building a car that isn't safe." BMW would be responsible IF it were deemed that the car was defective but that isn't the case with Xray. It would be foolish of anyone to say that with all we know about Xray quality from past cars that they didn't test this car extensively. And they even went back and did more testing by requesting drivers to come to their facility and delibertly crash their cars and they still didn't experience the issue and then beat the hell out of mount in that area without any failures so it could be said that the chassis design isn't defective by nature. Let me ask this, what do you think they should do now? Recall every car and take it off the market and redesign the car? I'm just a bit confused as to why this is still such an issue after they have addressed it.
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #891
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
5 years...that's it?!?...not trying to be rude here so please don't be angry with me but I've been racing competitively off and on for the past 17 years. Started with 6 cell 12th and I've seen chassis break in DD cars and touring cars...it happens! Forgot to add about this statement you made "BMW didn't cause the accident but they are responsible for building a car that isn't safe." BMW would be responsible IF it were deemed that the car was defective but that isn't the case with Xray. It would be foolish of anyone to say that with all we know about Xray quality from past cars that they didn't test this car extensively. And they even went back and did more testing by requesting drivers to come to their facility and delibertly crash their cars and they still didn't experience the issue and then beat the hell out of mount in that area without any failures so it could be said that the chassis design isn't defective by nature. Let me ask this, what do you think they should do now? Recall every car and take it off the market and redesign the car? I'm just a bit confused as to why this is still such an issue after they have addressed it.
Not to be rude but you haven't been keeping up. You said "I haven't quite figured out why people seem to feel this car shouldn't break". No one said that. My responses are merely in response to that. All I said is that it is reasonable to expect something else to break prior to the chassis breaking. Every TC is built this way. Like I said it is good Xray is addressing this. My beef isn't with Xray, its with you suggesting a chassis breaking is preferable to other parts breaking.

BTW, I've been involved in RC off and on for 23 years but only racing competitive on-road for 5.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #892
Tech Fanatic
 
RLMW VQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Island Lake
Posts: 903
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

my brace

i took a ks steel rod 3.18mm dia. and cut it to 35mm long the messsured out 4mm on each end which is the thickness of the rear arm mounts then put in a dermel and filed down the 4mm section to 3mm dia. thick. then for the pully i filed out a 4mm section down to 3mm. heres the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
XRAY T3-img00058-20091129-1736.jpg   XRAY T3-img00059-20091129-1737.jpg   XRAY T3-img00060-20091129-1738.jpg   XRAY T3-img00065-20091129-1743.jpg  
__________________
Hotbodies-HPI Racing- Hara Products-Team Fantom Driver-True RC-Rc Hobby and Track
RLMW VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #893
Tech Elite
 
Vicko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,030
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

so what holds it in place?
__________________
- ? -
Vicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #894
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicko View Post
so what holds it in place?
The arm mounts. I got some of these to try once my car arrives:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUL4&P=7
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #895
Tech Fanatic
 
RLMW VQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Island Lake
Posts: 903
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

the arm holders hold it due to the fact the the inner dia. is bigger than the the holes it sits in the 3.00mm fits in the the holes and the the dia steps up to 3.18 which is bigger than the holes it fits in to
__________________
Hotbodies-HPI Racing- Hara Products-Team Fantom Driver-True RC-Rc Hobby and Track
RLMW VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #896
Tech Fanatic
 
RLMW VQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Island Lake
Posts: 903
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

my fix does not use the arm mounst that are placstic it cant move out to thoes cause the dia. is bigger than the holes are
__________________
Hotbodies-HPI Racing- Hara Products-Team Fantom Driver-True RC-Rc Hobby and Track
RLMW VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #897
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMW VQ View Post
the arm holders hold it due to the fact the the inner dia. is bigger than the the holes it sits in the 3.00mm fits in the the holes and the the dia steps up to 3.18 which is bigger than the holes it fits in to
You would be fine with a straight 3mm shaft because it would be held in by the suspension holders from the outside.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #898
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Does the 4mm shaft clear the belt? The picture I saw with a 3mm shaft looked like the clearance was really tight. Just curious.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #899
Tech Fanatic
 
RLMW VQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Island Lake
Posts: 903
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

yeah but then you put stress on the hinge pin in a hard hit this way the stress is on the rod which cost 2.00 to make
__________________
Hotbodies-HPI Racing- Hara Products-Team Fantom Driver-True RC-Rc Hobby and Track
RLMW VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #900
Tech Fanatic
 
RLMW VQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Island Lake
Posts: 903
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

the shaft it 3.18dia and thats is way i filed down a section for the pully to take any clearence issues away
__________________
Hotbodies-HPI Racing- Hara Products-Team Fantom Driver-True RC-Rc Hobby and Track
RLMW VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T2'008 Drew_Cat Electric On-Road 1941 01-25-2016 12:36 PM
Xray T2'007 Joep Electric On-Road 4185 07-07-2014 09:22 AM
XRay T3 (spy pics) syndr0me Electric On-Road 33 07-13-2010 04:43 PM
where to get xray?? 2qwik Northwest Racers 20 10-10-2009 03:02 AM
New Xray T3!!! Jammin'Trey Electric On-Road 39 10-09-2009 12:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:27 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net