Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theisgroup
i will be honest, i don't so much care how the "advance" product works. but it is the product that brought to light how little rules there are governing what a "speed" controller can do.

crc came with a speedo. Scotty and crew allowed it. Brian would have won stock with or without the advanced speedo. I mean there was no one else in the A main that has ever made an A main at big event. that is end of the story about the iic.

i would like to see this thread move on and see rules put around the speedo control and it's function. there are soo many ways to cheat in the speedo and there is nothing to say that you cheated. i know that the speedo is the most complex part of the car now, but there still need to be rules governing it's function and how it performs that function
It would be easier to just eliminate the motor classes and allow everyone to run together with modified motors and separtate the drivers based on skill level.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
It would be easier to just eliminate the motor classes and allow everyone to run together with modified motors and separtate the drivers based on skill level.
and I would be ok with that. At least everyone would know the rules and we all are playing in the same sand box
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

IFMAR = modified. If you want to go faster, you use a faster motor.

I see nothing wrong with what CRC did with this ESC and I personally would have been disappointedif they had taken it out for the main. They had a fair advantage based on class rules and that is what racing is all about.
What is fair about using equipment that is not commercialy availible to all the racers??
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris moore
What is fair about using equipment that is not commercialy availible to all the racers??

I haven't followed this very closely the last few days.. just a post here or two, so forgive this question.. but, was this ESC run in the stock or superstock type classes?? Or just modified....?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Yang, please elaborate on how you can cheat.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
I haven't followed this very closely the last few days.. just a post here or two, so forgive this question.. but, was this ESC run in the stock or superstock type classes?? Or just modified....?

The race most of this is centered around was the 17.5/1s 1/12 class, or per ROAR the new stock class. Although I do beleive it was used in the 13.5 class and mod also.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
From what I understand, it was in all the factory CRC cars EXCEPT modified.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Lord

IFMAR = modified. If you want to go faster, you use a faster motor.

I see nothing wrong with what CRC did with this ESC and I personally would have been disappointedif they had taken it out for the main. They had a fair advantage based on class rules and that is what racing is all about.
Yep, I didn't think about that until after I posted it. And I agree with you completely.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

I must be missing something. Please tell us what needs to be defined.
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by chris moore
This has always been going on. Years ago I ran a ROAR nats with a shock tower that was one of a kind. I know because I made it myself. Should that be banned?
Tech Rookie

I dont agree with Rick.

First, modified in not suitable for all tracks or drivers. It will drive people out of the hobby if you make it so they destroy a car each run.

Second, who decided if I can run Expert, Am, Pro, or whatever you call it?? RC Pro series did that this year. I dont think it was well received.

Third, Its my entry fee money and no ones life is at stake. So if I want to sign up as pro or novice I will. I dont think you should try this idea. If we were really inside the cars racing against each other, and bodily harm was involved you would have a point. You'll get to many people saying " no ones gonna tell me Im not a Pro"

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Lord

As for the pro/am thing, we do it in slotcars and it seems to work pretty well. Here is how it works.

1. ANYONE can sign up for pro. If you want to run against the big boys, have at it.

2. Anyone not signed up for pro can sign up for AM. If you win, you're out of AM for a couple of years and have to run pro.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Rookie

The pro/am thing may work at a big race, but not at a local level. The rules should conform to all. With 300 racer it easy for a promoter to set skill levels. It is not easy when there is 25 on a club night. John Doe who has been racing for three weeks is out there, on club night, with fast guys and 4.5 lipo strapped in. He tears his car and the fast guys up for four more weeks. Ans then goes slot car racing. There is nothing wrong with slot car racing, but the goal of the forum is to keep people in RC.

McSmooth...

Your right. I have gotten off topic. Im out.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
This has always been going on. Years ago I ran a ROAR nats with a shock tower that was one of a kind. I know because I made it myself. Should that be banned?
I would say yes unless you were running in mod where it's always been an open class. And I'm well aware that this has been going on for years and years I've been RC racing since the mid 80's. And there is a slight difference to your example because if someone saw your shock tower and liked the idea thay could go that night and make a copy of it, install and race that same item the next day. This is not possible when talking about porporitary electronic hardware that cannot be purchased by the genneral RC community. The thing to remember is mod is open the spec classes are supposed to be controlled so that anyone has a chance to win. Thats not what happened here because the item in question gave the driver a noticable and unfair advantage, he might have won without this esc but he might not have also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.