Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Brian. You beat me to it. I had atleast 3 revisions to a reply for his last paragraph but.. I digress.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
It does seem like in a spec/stock class the equipment should be publicly available. It is a "stock" race not a "prototype testing" session. Prototype testing should be reserved for practice sessions and mod racing.
True, but there's no way to tech for it. Especially when you can hide a new super duber version IIV SPX in an old SPX case and no body would know. And I don't think tech would be smart enough to know every single car out on the market and know what is hopup, what is stock, and what is prototype. Not to mention the tons and tons of aftermarket hopups out there (well... at least for Tamiya cars.. hehe). Only issue I see in this situation is voltage. If they passed that, then all is good.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

The never ending quest for equality.... It's something that will never happen otherwise the earth will stop spinning. Get on with it and lets just have fun racing guys.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Brian - Thanks for deciding to chime in, but you didn't address what my last post was really about, homologation.

How would you as a team driver feel about Homologation if it was adopted in the future by ROAR, or maybe even just some Race Directors?

As another person already stated, there would be ways to defeat this if someone wanted to be deceptive at masking their products in existing wrappers, but for the most part, do you feel this would help level the field in Stock and Super Stock class racing?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
Brian - Thanks for deciding to chime in, but you didn't address what my last post was really about, homologation.
I'm reasonably sure that ROAR has a rule which states products must be available 2 weeks prior to a ROAR snactioned event to be included in "Stock" classes. That was the reason we couldn't run the original JRXS at the 2005 ROAR Carpet Nats, that and it took another couple months to come out. But seriously, we counted the days and tried tracking Horizon shipments to be able to prove the car would be available just to compete with it because of that "available to the public" rule. A moot point as Vegas wasn't a ROAR race and their tech crew are among the finest and fairest in the country, but your homologation concept is already in force in spirit.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have just finished reading the whole thread, and good luck to CRC for identifying a well suited product.

The only issue seems to me is that people are batting below their weight in slower classes where they shouldnt be.

In Australia, there is usually quite a bit of peer pressure not to sandbag in a lower class, it seems strange that this does not occur in America.

Last edited by Besercoe; 09-15-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You guys haven't figure out yet that you can adapt an old nintendo controller and plug it into the tekin hotwire and use the Konami Code to access super driving mode?

Actually I don't see what the problem is. There was an armature class that people could run in and there probably wasn't any prototype equipment in that class. "Spec" motor racing has turned into the modified racing of past and is big right now. We seem to enjoy using slow motors and spend 1000s of dollars to go about as fast as modified when we could had just all mounted a 5.5 and went just as fast for cheaper. Demand is telling the manufactures that's how we want to do things so the manufactures are out there developing the best products to use on Sunday so they can sell on Monday.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
It does seem like in a spec/stock class the equipment should be publicly available. It is a "stock" race not a "prototype testing" session. Prototype testing should be reserved for practice sessions and mod racing.
like the man in the movies said, "theres nothing stock about a stock car"
Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Now that this is sorted, on to the next issue. Diffusers and aerodynamics!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

Don't know if you have seen this or not or if you care but it is here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RCTVLI...5583287?ref=ts

if the link dont work it is on facebook under rctvlive
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

The speed controls made little or no difference in the performance of the CRC cars at the race.(never seen a speedo that could drive a car) Please if anyone knows of a speedo that can drive your car, please let me know. No matter what speed control you have you need to be able to drive the car. By the way the car quality is a major factor as well the talent of those who drive these cars. So instead of crying about the speed control why don't you all go get your cars and go to the track and practice. This is a way you will truly get faster. If you are into a conspiracy do you think any driver that is sponsored truly has a stock speedo . Sponsored drivers race stock. So is that Tekin speedo or LRP the same one you and I can buy at our local hobby store. Probably not. So go practice. No one said life would be fair.

Last edited by martin660; 09-15-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: not right
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

so with all the discussion about things being available, did the advances that tekin make at this race trying to keep up with the "other" guys fall into that category as well. randy has already said that that new software developed at this race were available to anyone that came and asked him. why does this not fall under the same scrutiny?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by martin660
The speed controls made little or no difference in the performance of the CRC cars at the race.(never seen a speedo that could drive a car) Please if anyone knows of a speedo that can drive your car, please let me know. No matter what speed control you have you need to be able to drive the car. By the way the car quality is a major factor as well the talent of those who drive these cars. So instead of crying about the speed control why don't you all go get your cars and go to the track and practice. This is a way you will truly get faster. If you are into a conspiracy do you think any driver that is sponsored truly has a stock speedo . Sponsored drivers race stock. So is that Tekin speedo or LRP the same one you and I can buy at our local hobby store. Probably not. So go practice. No one said life would be fair.
Nice alt

Originally Posted by al dente
so with all the discussion about things being available, did the advances that tekin make at this race trying to keep up with the "other" guys fall into that category as well. randy has already said that that new software developed at this race were available to anyone that came and asked him. why does this not fall under the same scrutiny?

Because it was avalible to anyone your esc was only avalible to CRC drivers, that and the point that experimental or exclusive hardware should'nd be used in stock/spec classes is the point that we should all stay on in this discussion.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by martin660
You know what you said was not too nasty or anything but this has mostly been a quality discussion. Most people understand that CRC did not break the rules. Most people seem to be asking do we want this to be the direction that the spec classes keep going in. Honestly if I had done as much work as you guys did, I might be a liitle hurt too, but remember some of these guys are also CRC customers. I would also imagine that if the speedo in question was available at this moment, CRC might sell quite a few of them. Congrats for the results and the hard work to the CRC team. You guys looked good on the web cam for sure.

My last comment would be to explain as much about the speedo as you guys can tell us. Things that we understand and that we are familiar with do not scare us, but this thing came out of no where to the majority of us, then if that was not a big enough deal it has some components that are hooked up differently. I can see why this thread became a RCTECH sensation

Steve
Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris moore
Nice alt

Because it was avalible to anyone your esc was only avalible to CRC drivers, that and the point that experimental or exclusive hardware should'nd be used in stock/spec classes is the point that we should all stay on in this discussion.
there were no rules or regulations banning any driver or product from any level of racing at the iic except for armature touring. everything was done according to the rules and with the approval of the tech team. as far as i am concerned, discussion over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.