Like Tree130Likes

TA-05 ver.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
Oops, I made an error, my Spur/Pinion is:

100/47 (64 pitch). The 50 WOULD NOT fit in there. Even with the 47, I had to snip a small piece of the chassis (the portion of the chassis right where the pinion hits near the motor mount screw, that little corner)

Yeah, I think I'm going to start bringing down the FDR...

The TA05v2's ratio is

(37T big pulley with 18T little pulley) = 2.056

So

2.13 * 2.06 = 4.39

Hmm I guess I should bring it down to 4... Which is a 91T spur with a 47T pinion...

With a 47-tooth pinion, did you find yourself having to use a button-head motor screw instead of a socket-head? The pinion gear would hit the socket-head... So I swapped it with a button-head, 3x6mm stainless screw...
What are your temps like with that ratio and how big is the track? Seems very tall(gearing that is).
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
What are your temps like with that ratio and how big is the track? Seems very tall(gearing that is).
Just like the joke someone stated, my motor comes off just a slight hair over room temp after an 8 to 10 minute run!!! I think my 17.5 that I have has a ton of torque but none of the RPM... I'm going to experiment it with some more. I think lowering the spur down to 90T should cause me no problem. The motor was lukewarm so I kept running it pack after pack, with no cooling in between...

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
After looking at all of these pics and reading this topic forum... And remembering how easy the TA05 car is too drive... I feel the 'need' to get another one!
There's a upgraded version of the version 2. You might want to start with that platform. Just take a look at a few posts above, someone posted it that rcmart has them in stock... This car is a great platform. A bit hard to work on, but very compact and clean... I'm loving it!

The positive thing is, you buy your own body so you can skip the kit body if you don't like it. The kitted body of the standard kits are actually really decent. I didn't like it at first, but it grown on me. The Corolla body is pretty nice... Was thinking about trying that body next...

Originally Posted by Pingers
Hmm no, I can't even picture in my head what the issue would be. You should take a picture. Maybe the V2 is different - but I had no troubles with mine and I use the socket head screws.
I think the motor mount is one of the biggest difference between the version 2 and the IFS. It's a bit hard to see, but I've attached a picture with the arrow. With a larger pinion size, the pinion gear will bottom out before you can properly line it up with the spur if I used the socket head screws. The button head screws cured it...
Attached Thumbnails TA-05 ver.2-motor-mount.jpg  
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Tom - thanks for the visual that makes perfect sense now why you're having that problem. Though I can't relate - I didn't have any trouble with gearing.

I'm removing my sway bar kit so I can eliminate one factor with setting up my car for carpet 17.5 - If I need more of a fine tune adjustment I will add it back. But for right now I will focus without them.

Eventually I would like to post a basic setup sheet for everyone who runs carpet. I think there are a few pro setups on the TRF website for asphalt but nothing for carpet. People need a bench mark.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

After looking at all of these pics and reading this topic forum... And remembering how easy the TA05 car is too drive... I feel the 'need' to get another one!
Chris, I have this amazing setup I can sell you for $500 if you're interested

The new upgraded V2 kit is a great starting point. I would have done that if I didn't purchase the IFSR kit.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

just had a look at the v2 with upgrades and was just wondering a few things:

we generally run a front spool at most tracks, what sort of front spool options are there for the 05?

does this car like most tamiyas use a tamiya specific pitch for the pinion and spurs? if so can you convert to 48p?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Team-RTR

we generally run a front spool at most tracks, what sort of front spool options are there for the 05?

does this car like most tamiyas use a tamiya specific pitch for the pinion and spurs? if so can you convert to 48p?

Thanks
Tamiya #92217 TA05-VII comes with Front One-Way Unit & 37T One-Way Pulley

64p comes stock, yes you can convert to 48p.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tamiya #92217 TA05-VII comes with Front One-Way Unit & 37T One-Way Pulley

64p comes stock, yes you can convert to 48p.
yeah i realise it comes with a one-way, but what do you guys do when you want to run a front spool? is there a tamiya specific spool or do you guys just make one out of a ball diff??

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

yeah i realise it comes with a one-way, but what do you guys do when you want to run a front spool? is there a tamiya specific spool or do you guys just make one out of a ball diff??

Thanks.
I don't see why you couldn't use the Tamiya 53877 TA05 Front Spool DIff Set if you want a front spool obviously utilizing the pulley from the one way. I run carpet so I don't utilize a front spool or one-way sorry. Just trying to help.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The V2 have ball differential pulleys running on front and rear. The original pitch for the ver2 is the (70T) 48pitch which we usually upgrade to a 64pitch.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't see why you couldn't use the Tamiya 53877 TA05 Front Spool DIff Set if you want a front spool obviously utilizing the pulley from the one way. I run carpet so I don't utilize a front spool or one-way sorry. Just trying to help.
thanks for the info mate, im sure that would work, i just wasnt sure if tamiya made a spool diff for the TA05 or wether you had to make one out of a ball diff.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

I think Tamiya's marketing people makes us believe "newer is better" all the time. They constantly come out with a new car or a variant of a car every 6 months...

Frankly, the original TA05 is probably good enough to compete at club-level, but Tamiya's parts support is another story

I'm actually running really stiff bars rear and front, blue rear and yellow front. The car felt pretty good. I think after I kick up the to end speed, I'm going to give a stiffer bar in the front a try... Of course, there's that old saying "if it's working, don't mess with it." But you know we didn't get into this hobby by driving our cars that never gets tinkered with
Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

One thing I don't get, why are many of the "high-end" vehicles such as the 416, TC5, and Xray T3, have the motor towards the rear?

Is there an advantage of the motor being placed in the rear?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
One thing I don't get, why are many of the "high-end" vehicles such as the 416, TC5, and Xray T3, have the motor towards the rear?

Is there an advantage of the motor being placed in the rear?

Yes, those cars are also made to run Mod.. You really need more weight in the rear for Mod.

TA05 platform was made specifically to run the slower classes like Stock and the TCS GT2 series. Mod never worked well in a mid-motor setup. In stock consistency and smoothness comes into play and that is were the TA05 really shines.

Now.. Regarding the Spool... We run on CRC Ozite indoors on a medium/large track. We use the spool, it is faster than a diff. Enough of a difference that everyone is running a spool now. If you run on a small track, diff may be the way to go.. Or with foam tires. But rubber tire, the spool is great.. Give it a try!

Welp I decided to get another TA05! Ordered up a V2 with upgrade pack and ordered over $500 in just hop ups alone! Yes call me crazy but it has to be FULLY hopped up even the genuine Tamiya titanium screws... LOL. Now I have to find time to put it together when it all comes in!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Respect to you man, it would take me another month before i get my ver2 to full mod of hopups. My ver2 is 3mths old now.

Yes, those cars are also made to run Mod.. You really need more weight in the rear for Mod.

TA05 platform was made specifically to run the slower classes like Stock and the TCS GT2 series. Mod never worked well in a mid-motor setup. In stock consistency and smoothness comes into play and that is were the TA05 really shines.

Now.. Regarding the Spool... We run on CRC Ozite indoors on a medium/large track. We use the spool, it is faster than a diff. Enough of a difference that everyone is running a spool now. If you run on a small track, diff may be the way to go.. Or with foam tires. But rubber tire, the spool is great.. Give it a try!

Welp I decided to get another TA05! Ordered up a V2 with upgrade pack and ordered over $500 in just hop ups alone! Yes call me crazy but it has to be FULLY hopped up even the genuine Tamiya titanium screws... LOL. Now I have to find time to put it together when it all comes in!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

I totally understand about the upgrades... That's what one of the things that all Tamiya fans do to their ride, spend a $1 on their car, and spend $20 on parts!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.