Tech Adept

Originally Posted by subaru73
hello try this web site
Thanks a lot!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommi Makkinen
I havent tested the Mclaren body, but comparing the generic F-104 body to the Ferrari F60 body showed the ff: (it was confirmed by Danny Hua, the TCS F-1 champ)

Ferrari F60 has more rear downforce hence slight understeer
F-104 body has more front downforce hence slight oversteer
Thanks Tommi,
I had been told verbally that the better 104 kit to get was the McLaren, I'm not a fan of that Mclarens but would still get it purely because of the increased performance/rear grip.
But looks like you're saying the Ferrari is the better kit to get, yes?

the option Hard front/ Soft rear of tamiya for the F-104 seems to work well. just sauce it up a bit with traction compound (if allowed in your races) and if you have tire warmers handy, use 'em.
I use to run F1's in the late 90's (Tamiya & HPI)... So looks like not a lot has changed, saucing all the rears and partly the fronts to balance the chassis, yes... Hahaha

and as far as F-104 kits having best grip? i'd say its the Pro kits (standard ver. or black ver.) since it has hopups which make the car good to drive. as opposed to the stock kits...
I assumed the graphite kit would have made setup more difficult due to the lack of flex. That surprises me...

Appreciate all yor advise.... thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
Thanks Tommi,
I had been told verbally that the better 104 kit to get was the McLaren, I'm not a fan of that Mclarens but would still get it purely because of the increased performance/rear grip.
But looks like you're saying the Ferrari is the better kit to get, yes?

I use to run F1's in the late 90's (Tamiya & HPI)... So looks like not a lot has changed, saucing all the rears and partly the fronts to balance the chassis, yes... Hahaha

I assumed the graphite kit would have made setup more difficult due to the lack of flex. That surprises me...

Appreciate all yor advise.... thanks
Not really, i only mentioned that the Ferrari has better rear grip because of the comparison to the F-104 body set. i havent gotten a Mclaren body to test to compare with the Ferrari, but i did hear from some sources that the Mclaren has better downforce than the Ferrari. if it is better than the Ferrari, i would get one and of course... paint it in another team's colors... hehehe

as for saucing the tires, i was really surprised as to how sensitive the 104 is to even slight changes to how you sauce the tires. in one of my Tamiya Cup races, i made the mistake of going 1/2 width of compound on the front tires and i was either doing spins or traction rolls on every lap! i was forced to buy a new set of tires on the spot just let the oversauced set dry-out a bit...

as for the graphite chassis, leaving out the extra chassis posts give the car a good amount of flex. and all the guys who i asked about this agree that the graphite makes the flex more "predictable" I tried a friend's Ferrari F60 kit with the stock FRP chassis and it seemed to have too much flex for my liking...
Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

I dont think its really the body itself but rather the taller rear wing grabbing cleaner air. Now front wise are you guys allowed to add some lexan bits? If so adding some to the center of the wing would help that flat area do something.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kb525
I dont think its really the body itself but rather the taller rear wing grabbing cleaner air.
I tend to agree with that
Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default F104 Pro Black Special

What are the "BONUS PARTS" in this kit? Are there any extra goodies, besides the black aluminum parts?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Nope. Just the black bits.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

I dont think its really the body itself but rather the taller rear wing grabbing cleaner air. Now front wise are you guys allowed to add some lexan bits? If so adding some to the center of the wing would help that flat area do something.
unfortunately, adding lexan bits to the front wing to add downforce not allowed on some races...

and since in the Tamiya Series in our region does not allow "mix-and-match" on the wings and bodies, we get stuck with the bodyshells the wings go with.

if i had a choice, i would rather use the F-104 Body and front wing combined with F60 rear wing.

but for now, i will wait till we can buy the spare bodyshell of the McLaren so i can see if its better than the F60...
Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

unfortunately, adding lexan bits to the front wing to add downforce not allowed on some races...

and since in the Tamiya Series in our region does not allow "mix-and-match" on the wings and bodies, we get stuck with the bodyshells the wings go with.

if i had a choice, i would rather use the F-104 Body and front wing combined with F60 rear wing.

but for now, i will wait till we can buy the spare bodyshell of the McLaren so i can see if its better than the F60...
I find F60 front and rear wings with F104 pro body works best on asphalt, coupled with the FRP chassis. Somehow, the FRP top deck and carbon top deck from the pro kit makes no difference.

On carpet, with little experience on it, having tried both, i find that the F104 Pro wings and body works better with FRP chassis.

The above information is based on TAC rules which only allows Tamiya parts.

Now am just waiting to see what are the rules for next year 2011 TAC for F1 class.

Am itching to try the MacLaren body or the F104W kit.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

New Tech Chassis:

Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

have you tried the chassis?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have been using associated diff lube on the friction pads. How much thicker fluid should I use on carpet?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

I plan on getting one of these early next year and am doing some prepping now. Any place to get decals the right size based on real F1 cars? Im not really a ferrari guy, but bmw/redbull would look great.
have a look on ebay.just search f103 or f104 and they will pop up in the list. have seen redbull,renault and bmw on there.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I plan on getting one of these early next year and am doing some prepping now. Any place to get decals the right size based on real F1 cars? Im not really a ferrari guy, but bmw/redbull would look great.
If you are in the states I have a pretty good stock of sheets, will post a list of what I have on here later
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

hey guys
What t bar does the pro kit come with? do the rear wing and front wing mount the same pattern as on the f103? does the pro come with a diffuser?

cheers

Last edited by kneedeeppow; 11-22-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.