Wiki Posts
Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Jilles for your quick reply will try both cars back to back this week

Not sure is your still in Thailand but i hope you are safe, it is a shame that they just cant get it sorted out over there and the king hasn't step up, as i was looking forward to moving over this year. But with the way things are there cant be many tourism dollars around.

Also do you know of any on road events on over there at the end of July or any club meets that i can attend. as i will need an excuse to get away from the shopping and in laws

Thanks again for your help on this fourm must dig out the pics of you and Greg Fisher on the drivers stand at titc
Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Jilles for info and I'll let you Know it goes the next race.
Enrico
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello Jilles,

Just watched the Red RC Pro Tips video's you made @ youtube.

Don't you use grease or oil for you're bearings ?

Greetings from a fellow dutchman

Last edited by Tjello; 05-04-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Jilles,
I have a quick question. How do you travel internationally with your RC Gear (e.g., car, lipos, etc.)? Do you carry it on the plane with you, or do you ship it? Thanks!
~SpidarX
Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey Jilles

What are your thoughts about running front and rear sway bars on the 416x? I'm running mod on a low traction bumpy parking lot and i have the kit bars on both ends. So far the car seems fine, but i've heard other 416 drivers claim that the car works better with them and i was thinking of removing the front one to help get rid of on power push.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SpidarX
Hi Jilles,
I have a quick question. How do you travel internationally with your RC Gear (e.g., car, lipos, etc.)? Do you carry it on the plane with you, or do you ship it? Thanks!
~SpidarX
Hi SpidarX

I,m not Jilles

But i recently traveled from Oz to Thailand for titc and plan to take my gear with me again in July

Pack your lipo and tolls in your check in baggage as the will take them if you try to carry them on,

I carried my two cars radio charges and power supply as carry on as i was affraid that they my go astray in baggage handling and the only problem i had was that they wanted to have a look at the radio on the way back home " something to do with the trigger" go figure
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Senna Racing
Hi SpidarX

I,m not Jilles

But i recently traveled from Oz to Thailand for titc and plan to take my gear with me again in July

Pack your lipo and tolls in your check in baggage as the will take them if you try to carry them on,

I carried my two cars radio charges and power supply as carry on as i was affraid that they my go astray in baggage handling and the only problem i had was that they wanted to have a look at the radio on the way back home " something to do with the trigger" go figure
I dont think jilles will have the problem with a Trigger

Were your lipos ok after the trip in the hold , it is dam cold in there , i suppose it is ok for a short flight but i wonder about a long haul flight
Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Sydney to Bangkok is not exactly a sort flight 9hrs

I had both old and new packs with me that i dropped to 7.6v storage or shipping Voltage and All 4 packs were fine
Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

Default Setup help

Hi
Could someone please offer some advice. I race on a tight painted concrete surface mid traction and slighlty bumpy. For weeks I have been unable to get the car to handle well.

The car oversteers mainly on entry and more so for quick left, rights. The front also has a slight understeer and does not want to turn, most noticable on high speed sweepers. My biggest concern at the moment is the rear as this is causing me the most problems.

P.S I thought it might be the tires but I am currently now using brand new 36 sorex tires and still have the same problem.

Thank You

Revised setup (error with suspension mount)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Setup.pdf (262.5 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by devil; 05-05-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Senna Racing
Sydney to Bangkok is not exactly a sort flight 9hrs

I had both old and new packs with me that i dropped to 7.6v storage or shipping Voltage and All 4 packs were fine

I remember reading that the Lipo's are NOT to be put in baggage, i took over 4 packs in my radio bag as a carry on, they didnt even blink about the batts, same as Senna they only wanted to look at my radio leaving Oz, the other 3 scans nothing, except some Thai customs official scumbag trying to tell me all the RC stuff was new and wanted to charge duty.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by devil
Hi
Could someone please offer some advice. I race on a tight painted concrete surface mid traction and slighlty bumpy. For weeks I have been unable to get the car to handle well.

The car oversteers mainly on entry and more so for quick left, rights. The front also has a slight understeer and does not want to turn, most noticable on high speed sweepers. My biggest concern at the moment is the rear as this is causing me the most problems.

P.S I thought it might be the tires but I am currently now using brand new 36 sorex tires and still have the same problem.

Thank You
devil,

I'd try increasing rear toe to 2.5 or 3 degrees. That will give you more corner entry. Also, adjust the front track width by removing the 1 mm hub spacers up front. The wider front will cause your car's front end to react more slowly.

If the car still doesn't feel right, another thing to try is to change the 1.5 mm spacer behind the front suspension arm to 2 mm. When I tried a smaller spacer behind the front suspension arm, I found that it led to the car rolling quickly over the front which resulted in understeer.

Lastly, the blue HPI springs in the rear will also contribute to understeer on a tight course. I've tried silver all around at my track and while it felt alright, the tires would fade throughout an 8 minute heat. Thus, I ended up with silver up front and blues in the rear again. The two solutions I had to this issue were to move the front lower shock mounting hole to #1 or give the car some anti-squat.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HI_808
devil,

I'd try increasing rear toe to 2.5 or 3 degrees. That will give you more corner entry. Also, adjust the front track width by removing the 1 mm hub spacers up front. The wider front will cause your car's front end to react more slowly.

If the car still doesn't feel right, another thing to try is to change the 1.5 mm spacer behind the front suspension arm to 2 mm. When I tried a smaller spacer behind the front suspension arm, I found that it led to the car rolling quickly over the front which resulted in understeer.

Lastly, the blue HPI springs in the rear will also contribute to understeer on a tight course. I've tried silver all around at my track and while it felt alright, the tires would fade throughout an 8 minute heat. Thus, I ended up with silver up front and blues in the rear again. The two solutions I had to this issue were to move the front lower shock mounting hole to #1 or give the car some anti-squat.
Hi
Sorry made mistake i already have 3 degrees (that would have been an easy fix other wise, lol), I have updated my setup pdf.

I originally put spacers in the front axles because i was trying to get more rear traction, it did push more, but i was after rear grip. I will try moving the front arms next race meet and see what happens, but i cant see 0.5 mm helping my rear enough though. Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

As a side note, I was reading about building the diff. Do you ever let ring marks appear in your plates where the balls run, or do you sand it every so often.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by devil
Hi

Thank You

Revised setup (error with suspension mount)
Move your rear shocks to hole #3 on the tower.
This will give you less off power steering and at the same time give you more high speed steering.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi jilles,

What's a good setup for Heemstede?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hi Jilles

I noticed in your setups that u use HPI and Tamiya springs. When do you choose which to use? Are they of any difference in terms of setup and performance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.