Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Hi jilles!

Wich O-rings do you run in the dampers? The standard transparent ones? odr the blue TRF ones, or another brand?

Do you shimm them to avoid the oilleaking?

Currently i am usin 1 blue TRF O-ring shimmed with 0,3mm that the damper doesnt leak.

Greetz from Austria!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blueman Austria
Hi jilles!

Wich O-rings do you run in the dampers? The standard transparent ones? odr the blue TRF ones, or another brand?

Do you shimm them to avoid the oilleaking?

Currently i am usin 1 blue TRF O-ring shimmed with 0,3mm that the damper doesnt leak.

Greetz from Austria!
My Shock leak like mad after i change to use the TRF Blue O-ring, is shimming effective to prevent leaking? What kind of shim is that? Any pic? thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Hi Jilles,

I hope you are staying clear of the city and all the crap going on with the protesters.
Australia has already issued a travel warning about Thailand, will these guys never learn how to preserve their country.
My wife is very upset about it all.
Stay safe Bud.

Bradd
Old 04-11-2010, 10:45 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

colt1402,
I do both side. The side of the balls is most important.

Arahawak,
This is not the same, as you change the arm position but not the wheel position. I actually tested it last week and when you add 1.5 degree more toe-out on the wheels the car has a lot more understeer.

CraigM,
When you use 2 o-rings, you replace the second o-ring by the plastic shim.

Blueman,
I normally use the blue type from Tamiya. I never use extra shims to avoid leaking.

Hoppie,
Maybe it's time to replace the shockshaft? Ofcourse you need to replace the o-rings ones in a while, and the plastic end piece which goes in the alu part.

Bradd,
It's pretty bad at the moment. Fortunate my home isn't very close to the centre but since last week I don't come even near the centre. Today I needed to cross some red-protest guys near Lat Phrao on my bicycle to go to the track, pretty scary, I should take the taxi the upcoming days.
I hope this will end soon as many people already lost their lives and this is again not good for the Thai image!

Jilles
Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Tech Addict

ohh ok thanks alot, i will check on the white plastic. the blue o-rings is only on 1st rebuild
Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Jilles,

I couldnt make it to RC Addict on Saturday so went on Sunday. I met Ludo and he really gave me some great advice and helped set up my car better than I could. If you speak to him over the next few days, please tell him I appreciated his help and pass on my thanks.

I will be going again tomorrow if the wife lets me

Hope you are well,

Steve.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

hey Jilles quick question about diffs, iv been building my diffs just like u do in the 416 vids but lately after running them in the develop a terrible clicking feel and are no longer smooth, iv replaced the thrust bearings and the 2 centre bearings but the issue still occurrs...

have u got any suggestions as to whats causing the problem!

much appreciated =)
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

hey guys im new to TC i just picked up a new msxx mre 07 was looking for a good baseline carpet set up if any of you would be nice to help me out here. Thanx for all your time and effort.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AZ416
hey Jilles quick question about diffs, iv been building my diffs just like u do in the 416 vids but lately after running them in the develop a terrible clicking feel and are no longer smooth, iv replaced the thrust bearings and the 2 centre bearings but the issue still occurrs...

much appreciated =)
Did you sand the diff rings? Even brand new Tammy rings need sanding, their quality of the last few years has dropped significantly, the ones i got recently in my M05 diff look like they are made out of cast iron they were so pitted, took forever to sand them flat.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Did you sand the diff rings? Even brand new Tammy rings need sanding, their quality of the last few years has dropped significantly, the ones i got recently in my M05 diff look like they are made out of cast iron they were so pitted, took forever to sand them flat.

yea the diff rings im using are about 6 months old, and im always sanding them with 1200grit paper, it comes and goes the issue which is really weird :S
Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

yea the diff rings im using are about 6 months old, and im always sanding them with 1200grit paper, it comes and goes the issue which is really weird :S

Are you sanding the ring out of them completely?
If so, and you have replaced the thrust washer, then you only have one more part that moves, is to replace the 3mm balls.

Also, when installing the thrust washer, i always put the side where the brass insert is more chamfered, against the screw head, this seems to make a big difference on the smoothness of the diff (not as much on a 416, but on older diffs with the smaller diff screw it made a massive difference)
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Are you sanding the ring out of them completely?
If so, and you have replaced the thrust washer, then you only have one more part that moves, is to replace the 3mm balls.

Also, when installing the thrust washer, i always put the side where the brass insert is more chamfered, against the screw head, this seems to make a big difference on the smoothness of the diff (not as much on a 416, but on older diffs with the smaller diff screw it made a massive difference)
nah im only sanding them lightly, but ill give the balls and the direction of the thrust bearing a go

thanks =)
Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

much appreciated =)
Something else to check, is it could be a chipped ball.. So replace those too.

My other thought is that it is quite simply grit getting into the diff. If you slip the diff and it feels better instantly, it's most likely grit. Get hold of some diff covers to stop that happening.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Jilles,

I have car management questions for you.

When you have a bad crash, do you normally take the car apart to check all parts and replace the broken ones, or you rather build a brand new car?

Do you normally have a brand new pre-built car standing by, just in case you have a bad crash?

When you find some alum parts to be slightly bent, not so noticeable by bare eyes, but detectable when placed against a piece of flat glass, would you continue to use those parts or replace them with new ones?

I know you do not crash as often as I do I am wondering how you manage your race cars.

Thanks and see you soon.

Andrew
Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Jilles.....do you know or can you tell us if Tamiya is working on a Double jointed axle/cvd like X-ray and Hot-Bodies have to help when using a spool for416?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.