Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
new Magic tabe for alum battery mount coming soon !
HUH?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Spool issues

Hi Chaps

Just wondering if I am the only one still having spool problems. I have just noticed that my 6th spool in 5 months is gone . When I say gone I mean the steel out drive is just turning in the now round hole (started out square). I am not over or under tightening it and it always happens on the motor electrics side. After the 3rd one went on me I have been very careful when building them and maintain my car to a high standard so cant understand what it is. Any help or opinions I would be great full.
Apart from my problems with spool I love this thing.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

I have been running the same spool in my primary car for about 9 months now. Its the very first one that EJ sent me when they went to the harder V3 spool I think it is.

I haven't seen anyone around here having rounding out problems since the spool was updated sometime around Sept 09. What class are you running?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I have been running the same spool in my primary car for about 9 months now. Its the very first one that EJ sent me when they went to the harder V3 spool I think it is.

I haven't seen anyone around here having rounding out problems since the spool was updated sometime around Sept 09. What class are you running?
Same here..I'm running the harder V2 spool and I've decided to try the steel outdrive and works great....I ran the 4.5 and mosty the 17.5 ..
Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darrenoakley
Hi Chaps

Just wondering if I am the only one still having spool problems. I have just noticed that my 6th spool in 5 months is gone . When I say gone I mean the steel out drive is just turning in the now round hole (started out square). I am not over or under tightening it and it always happens on the motor electrics side. After the 3rd one went on me I have been very careful when building them and maintain my car to a high standard so cant understand what it is. Any help or opinions I would be great full.
Question: Taking the motor out and does the drive train spin freely?

When you tap or hit the pipes ,were you on throttle?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Hi Chaps

I spun one myself this past weekend. I was running Mod and hit the pipe which caused it to happen. It is my belief that when you hit a pipe using a spool and being on throttle something has to give , for me it just happened to be the spool outdrive spinning . I switched to the composite spool outdrives because those are cheaper to replace
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are you using button head screws or countersunk for the steel outdrives?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Countersunk 3x10s or so will do the trick. Im not sure but I think they are included with the outdrives.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default Spool issues

Wow fast responses

I am only running 17.5 also the drive spins fine without the motor in place or pinion removed. If and when I crash I try to drop the throttle as soon as possible. I have spoken to all the local photon drivers and I seem to be the only one with this problem so it has to be something to do with the set up or driving style. Oh also the countersunk screws are the ones that come with the top racing steel spool outdrives.
Switching back to the Roche spool for a bit until I can figure it out. Would prefer to use stock parts though really.

Many thanks for all the input so far though guys
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Does it only happen after a crash? Something weird is going on because it shouldnt be happening with a 17.5 motor. I thought maybe you were running mod on a track with boards and trying to bounce off of them?

Check to make sure the screws arent too long. Its possible you have too long of screws in there and you put the side that isnt having a problem first and its in all the way and then when you put in the side that is having a problem its not getting fully tight? Check that out and let me know.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Default Spool issues

No that was also what I thought could have been happening but I measured the screws on the last 2 spools to make sure.It also happens if I use the plastic ones. Always on the motor side as well never happen on the battery side. Bearings have been replaced all round so it shouldn't be one of them sticking. and new dogbones on the front too.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Where are you getting your spools from? Is it possible they have an old stock of the original soft ones?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Spool issue

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Where are you getting your spools from? Is it possible they have an old stock of the original soft ones?
I get all my parts from my local Rc Shop Reality Racing in New Milton Hampshire. And he gets them direct from Muchmore Uk. He has had to order at least 2 of them in from muchmore so I wouldn't have thought it was old stock.

Thanks for ides though mate.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

I get all my parts from my local Rc Shop Reality Racing in New Milton Hampshire. And he gets them direct from Muchmore Uk. He has had to order at least 2 of them in from muchmore so I wouldn't have thought it was old stock.

Thanks for ides though mate.
No problem at all. This has me baffled. I was even shimming out my spool cups from the spool by up to 1.5mm and still not stripping them in 13.5 and 10.5 on rubber tires on carpet with boards for the track walls. I'm still thinking over here.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is it possible that the eccentric hubs (used to tighten or loosen the belt) are offset causing the spool to be stressed. Say one side is high and the other side is low?

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.