Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini-Mod
I saw that yesterday, Eric. Congratulations on being a star. Looks very nice.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Notice to Diff Builders

I recently discovered something about the TOP diffs that I thought might help many who will read this. It may be old news or common knowledge to some, but it shocked the socks of off me.

We all know that the current TOP diffs when built with some care by sanding the rings down real nice, are absolutely heavenly. By far the best I have ever seen. To say that they are super smooth and free (even when locked down tightly) is a understatement.

Well, this past weekend I showed up to the track ready to run the wheels off, and for the first time ever I was not happy with my diff that had just been refreshed. It was slipping badly. So I checked it and it was even tighter than normal. However, it tightened it some more, yet it was still slipping. Again, I tightened it and again it was not right.

At this point I was frustrated so I just decided to deal with that diff later and I installed one of my two spares which had also just been refreshed. I really started scratching my head when this diff did the exact same thing as the first. Being the determined type, I went ahead and installed my final spare diff, and you guessed it. Yeah it did the same.

Each of the diffs acted as if maybe they had one extra thrust ball installed. I torn one down and everything was in check. I sat there check fuming as I stared at my once heavenly diffs, unable to find the cure.

Then another racer asked what kind of grease had I used. BOOOMMM! It occurred to me that the one thing I had done differently was I used a different brand of lube on the rings and balls. I have used nothing but Kimbrough clear diff lube for the last 10-12 years but for some reason I used some brand "X" that I had laying around. So, after realizing this I compared the two and realized that the brand X was extreemly slippery while the Kimbrough stuff was sort of sticky.

I imediately changed out the lube and that was it! Apparently a prpoerly prepped Photon Diff is so smooth that it is sensative to the lube used on it. Could it be that the diff is to good?

So, now we have to wonder if some of the many people that expeirenced diff issues similar to the ones I described were also using a similar lube? I suggest that all Photon owners check the diff lube they are using and make sure that it has some tack to it. This is not an effort to sell a certain brand of diff lube. I dont care what brand is ran, but I reccomend that it has some stick/tack to it.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You said "lube"
Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

I built my diff new in October last year with ceramic balls, sanded rings on 1000 wet and dry and tamiya greases and it's been the best diff I've ever had. So good it's never needed a rebuild after running just about every weekend on carpet with 13.5.
That's 5 months on the same diff and it's still golden! I can't believe it!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree the diffs are very very good in this car.

I use AE Stealth Lube and Losi Black grease on the thrust and my diff is always ungodly smooth and lasts forever.

Like Q said sanding the rings is very very important.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BagofSkill
I built my diff new in October last year with ceramic balls, sanded rings on 1000 wet and dry and tamiya greases and it's been the best diff I've ever had. So good it's never needed a rebuild after running just about every weekend on carpet with 13.5.
That's 5 months on the same diff and it's still golden! I can't believe it!
I built mine with the steel balls and without touching the rings and it is still flawless after 3/4 months ownership. It's an awesome diff.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I agree the diffs are very very good in this car.

I use AE Stealth Lube and Losi Black grease on the thrust and my diff is always ungodly smooth and lasts forever.

Like Q said sanding the rings is very very important.
Whats the difference between the losi black and ae black?.. I've had good luck with AE stealth and and ae black so far.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
Whats the difference between the losi black and ae black?.. I've had good luck with AE stealth and and ae black so far.
Actually, after having both... I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. Identical stuff. Only the Losi stuff is the same price and you get double the grease.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How far do we sand the rings down?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by schreff
Actually, after having both... I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. Identical stuff. Only the Losi stuff is the same price and you get double the grease.
Ah cool.. I was willing to try something new even though my diff seems to be great.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJGonzo69
How far do we sand the rings down?
You sand the rings to the point the entire surface your sanding is sanded. Sometimes it takes a while to get it completely sanded depending on how flat the rings truly are. The stock diff rings, which are just 12th scale standard rings, do take some effort to get flat. I just started using the light weight IRS diff rings and they're much flatter from the get go.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dear T.O.P. Racing USA,

Just a few suggestion for your Web site:

1. List all the updates that have been made to the car since it's release.

2. List all the springs and weights.

3. Post all the ackerman info.

4. Start a Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) section. Make life easier for your forum support team (sponsored drivers and other forum members) so they don't have to continually answer the same questions over and over again.

5. Post a link to Josh's interview at R/C Evil empire (or see #7).

6. List Team Drivers, copies of their setup sheets and what events they've placed in with the car. If it's possible, it would be great to link each win to the corresponding story in the news section.

7. You need a YouTube channel for your own videos as well links to those made by other racers. Free advertising and promotion.

The car seems to have lots of potential, but you need to get info out to the racer community and store owners so they don't have to plow through 242+ pages here to fix a problem or get setup tips. The search feature is helpful but it doesn't always produce what people are looking for - or there is updated information that is more up-to-date. Make life easier and better for yourselves and others by leveraging the communication venues that are at your disposal. And if you don't have someone in house that can do any of the above or has the time to do it, do yourself a favor and recruit someone.

And lastly, always keep in mind that not everybody hangs out here at RCTech!!

Have a nice day!

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 02-18-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

rmdhawaii,

At your local track you have a few team drivers there and the track owner is also a TOP distributor. Just come out sometime on race day and I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions in person.

You can only judge a car over the internet so far, the best analysis is in person. Oh, the track performance speaks for itself.

Paul
Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P2
rmdhawaii,

At your local track you have a few team drivers there and the track owner is also a TOP distributor. Just come out sometime on race day and I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions in person.

You can only judge a car over the internet so far, the best analysis is in person. Oh, the track performance speaks for itself.

Paul
Thanks Paul.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P2
rmdhawaii,

Paul
If that was the case, then you should of brought yours so we could see it in person to judge the car for what is was worth when you came down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.