Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I gave all of these a go today, but the best result was from going up in sway bars to 1.4 front and rear. The car was quite good at the club meet today (I won the main) but I'm still after more steering, particularly exit steering on power, but I also find I cant get on power as early as some mid corner in tight turns. I've attached my setup if it's any help

Your front end looks awful wide, I havent put it in a width box yet but with 4mm shims on either side Im guessing its over 190 or real close, if you narrow this up a little you should probably get a little more steering.

Also how are you measuring droop? is that 5mm of uptravel or from the bottom of the arm or something?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Your front end looks awful wide, I havent put it in a width box yet but with 4mm shims on either side Im guessing its over 190 or real close, if you narrow this up a little you should probably get a little more steering.

Also how are you measuring droop? is that 5mm of uptravel or from the bottom of the arm or something?
Actually the shims say .4mm which is really narrow on the front end...
Old 07-19-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

hey an few pages back ppl were talking about losing the rear dogbone
blades... did anyone come up with an idea how to stop this??
3 guys lost these racing last weekend...
we were ruuing EJ or Josh set ups so rear with is same as theirs
Thanks for any info
Old 07-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Craigm: I see your running Sorex. Did you do similar times with Much mores?
muchmores are about 3 tenths quicker, but the car is totally different on them. I'm running sorex to get sorted for nats

sorry yes it's 0.4mm, the width is similar to kit but without the sweep. Measuring droop on droop blocks, so the front arms are 6mm above the chassis, I think that ends up being about 2mm of up travel
Old 07-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I gave all of these a go today, but the best result was from going up in sway bars to 1.4 front and rear. The car was quite good at the club meet today (I won the main) but I'm still after more steering, particularly exit steering on power, but I also find I cant get on power as early as some mid corner in tight turns. I've attached my setup if it's any help
You might want to try alittle more up travel in the front and see what that does. You might also want to play with different hinge pin positions in the rear to give some anti squat.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

hello,

I finally got to try my Photon on Saturday. I'm very pleased. I tried EJ's rubber carpet setup with just a few changes and it was great.

I'm feeling pretty good about taking this car to the IIC.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

vicko try using some 0 rings or you can use some nitro fuel tubing and cut it to the size you need and place it inside the diff outdrive.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

vicko just make sure when you do this, compress the suspension and make sure its not binding
Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vicko
hey an few pages back ppl were talking about losing the rear dogbone
blades... did anyone come up with an idea how to stop this??
3 guys lost these racing last weekend...
we were ruuing EJ or Josh set ups so rear with is same as theirs
Thanks for any info
Shorter bones. I've switched to the TOP 43mms and haven't lost a blade since. Tamiya also make a 44 that is a direct fit
Old 07-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

hey pal,

may i know HPI spring blue and silver similar to top which number?

thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beaim
hey pal,

may i know HPI spring blue and silver similar to top which number?

thanks
You may check on this blog for the spring rate between HPI and TOP.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I finally got to run my Photon on a track that I previously ran my Type R on. The track I practiced at for the reedy last year. In very similar conditions to what I ran on at this track in May and my photon was faster.

My hot laps were .1-.2 faster and my car in the main was very very good.

I have run the Photon on 4 different asphalt tracks so far and have run 4 different setups after all was said and done. (The Coliseum Indoor asphalt nats track, Outdoor large flowing soda sprayed track, Small bullring tight lightly soda sprayed good bite track, and large unprepared good traction outdoor speedworld type track)

I ran the optional camber plates with the longer front link today and didnt really like it(the front end was rolling too much) so I switched back to actually running the middle hole on the rear and the standard long hole in the front.

The track is similar traction to the Speedworld track where your car feels somewhat pushy but good traction.

I can feel the changes on this car a lot and its really cool. I ran middle high front roll center and middle low/low high in the rear. For some antisquat.

I been running 50/40 oil and could probably even go up some more in the front but it felt really good

I'll post any of these setups if someone is interested.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by Elwyn Lee
You may check on this blog for the spring rate between HPI and TOP.
thanks elwyn. i am ken from segamat.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Addict

I finally got to run my Photon on a track that I previously ran my Type R on. The track I practiced at for the reedy last year. In very similar conditions to what I ran on at this track in May and my photon was faster.

My hot laps were .1-.2 faster and my car in the main was very very good.

I have run the Photon on 4 different asphalt tracks so far and have run 4 different setups after all was said and done. (The Coliseum Indoor asphalt nats track, Outdoor large flowing soda sprayed track, Small bullring tight lightly soda sprayed good bite track, and large unprepared good traction outdoor speedworld type track)

I ran the optional camber plates with the longer front link today and didnt really like it(the front end was rolling too much) so I switched back to actually running the middle hole on the rear and the standard long hole in the front.

The track is similar traction to the Speedworld track where your car feels somewhat pushy but good traction.

I can feel the changes on this car a lot and its really cool. I ran middle high front roll center and middle low/low high in the rear. For some antisquat.

I been running 50/40 oil and could probably even go up some more in the front but it felt really good

I'll post any of these setups if someone is interested.
Good to hear Larry! Now can you please start on some carpet rubber setups.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Craig, I know I'm not the guy you were asking for help from, but looking at your setup sheet raises one question, and I may have a point of help for you...

The question I have is : Your setup sheet indicates that the front of your front arm is mounted lower than the rear. I've never seen a car setup in that fashion, and it seems like it could cause you problems. Wouldn't that reduce caster, and in turn cause steering problems?

The point I have is : Your steering ackerman is set long/#11 which based on the chart Josh posted would be
24mm Length - 11mm Insert 4.78 9.13 13.04 16.5 19.48
This is on the high side of the ackerman adjustments for the car. Quoting Josh : "Higher initial ackerman makes the car easier to drive, and more balanced through the run. Sometimes though, if you use too much ackerman you will just have slow lap times and a lazy/understeering car."
perhaps shortening the bellcrank and/or switching to a lower numbered insert would help you find more steering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.