Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by redbones
Also watch out that front center shaft cup. It's the only plastic piece in the drive train and the 3 teeth will sheer off. I killed three of them already. Going to do the axel pin mod for a little more reliability.
Ah the dreaded 85281-10. I just call that part the "3 plastic nipple thingies" or "plastic nipples" for short and the guys know what I'm talking about. Easily the weakest point of the car. Where are those aluminum parts?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Tech Adept

What are you guys using in your Silver can setups ,meaning what spur and pinion .Reason i ask is that my Hpi Rs4 mini works great but in the CR its horrible ,no punch.Could it be that the CR has a lot of driveline power lossor just needs breakin?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

took one of my many broken shaft cups, and did the axel pin mod to it. I took a 1/16" drill bit and drilled into the area that once had the nipples. Then I got three 18R axel pins and inserted them into the holes. Some tips on doing this.

1. Use your hands. The depth adjustment is very crucial so use your hands for better control.
2. I inserted the 2 bearings that are normally used there and also inserted the screw in the middle. This way, you can keep the hole from wandering outside or inside.

Another thing to watch out for is to align the three holes properly.

The assembly feels solid now. We'll see how it holds up.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Cup Racer 1M-cimg0830.jpg  
Old 06-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Good modification work but as I said back at the start of this thread the design is overengineered to the point of being useless in a number of areas.

Obviously a car designed not to take much more than a silver can motor which is a pity
Old 06-21-2009, 03:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cannon
Good modification work but as I said back at the start of this thread the design is overengineered to the point of being useless in a number of areas.

Obviously a car designed not to take much more than a silver can motor which is a pity

Other than the front suspension, this car is pretty much the same as any other shaft car. I would hold off jumping to conclusions until testing the spring set and the sway. The f201 springs are harder, but definitely not designed to use in this car, and the stockers are way too soft. The new spring sets are all harder than the stock ones.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Tech Adept

Here we go again!

What are Silver Can motor?
Any specific brand och turn?

I will use my cup racer for drifting only!
Thinking of buying one for grip racing also.
But it depends on if i get my ABC sold.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callahan_88
Here we go again!

What are Silver Can motor?
Any specific brand och turn?

I will use my cup racer for drifting only!
Thinking of buying one for grip racing also.
But it depends on if i get my ABC sold.
Silver can ... they are referring to the standard Johnson or mabuchi 540 motors like those supplied in tamiya kits
Old 06-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Ok Thanks!

Have anyone tested the drift tire that comes with the Cup Racer Drift Edition?
I hope HPI will relese pattern tire like the Drift-T for 1/10.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Other than the front suspension, this car is pretty much the same as any other shaft car. I would hold off jumping to conclusions until testing the spring set and the sway. The f201 springs are harder, but definitely not designed to use in this car, and the stockers are way too soft. The new spring sets are all harder than the stock ones.
don't acknowledge the troll and he will go away

you're right about the F201 springs...they will work, but you need to 'make' them fit on the bottom spring retainer.. Other springs that do work are AE's micro shock springs - again, they are a little too big for the lower spring retainers, but they are stiffer and longer then the HPI kit springs...There is going to be a 'soft' kit and a 'hard' kit coming from HPI - I just hope its soon

cannon - once again, your response is not useful or wanted. take the hint and go away

Last edited by k_bojar; 06-21-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cannon
and if you paid attention to ANYTHING other then bitching about how HPI designed the car, you would have noticed that the Cup Racer WAS designed for 'spec' racing, either with the Johnson motor or the 30t spec motor that HPI has out...

so, like I said - go away and annoy other people

Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok Thanks!

yes I set mine up as a drift and it works great!

you would have noticed that the Cup Racer WAS designed for 'spec' racing

people seem to be having a hard time understanding that HPI is Embracing spec racing to bring more people into the hobby, or people back like me, who want realism in how there cars looks and how it races. They just want to go faster! ABC is doing the same thing…some folks want this hobby only to go in the direction they want.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by popdada
people seem to be having a hard time understanding that HPI is Embracing spec racing to bring more people into the hobby, or people back like me, who want realism in how there cars looks and how it races. They just want to go faster! ABC is doing the same thing…some folks want this hobby only to go in the direction they want.
People always miss the importance of class that level the playing field and make it INVITING for someone to get into racing...

Spec classes always have been and always need to be the backbone of R/C racing - its nice to have the 'balls-to-the-wall' classes, but what the majority of people miss is that those people aren't what make up the majority of R/C racers...its the weekend racer who wants to have fun and hang out fulfilling their racing/speed desires without having to take a 1:1 car on the track (I know that's why I do it)

Either way, when no one is left racing or tracks die out - the short-sighted people will wonder what happened

either way, thanks to everyone who 'understands' what this car is meant for
Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Ok Thanks!

I have the drift version of the CR. Easiest tires I have ever mounted. When I need grip I use discarded front foam tires from a 200mm nitro sedan.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 AM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

took one of my many broken shaft cups, and did the axel pin mod to it. I took a 1/16" drill bit and drilled into the area that once had the nipples. Then I got three 18R axel pins and inserted them into the holes. Some tips on doing this.

1. Use your hands. The depth adjustment is very crucial so use your hands for better control.
2. I inserted the 2 bearings that are normally used there and also inserted the screw in the middle. This way, you can keep the hole from wandering outside or inside.

Another thing to watch out for is to align the three holes properly.

The assembly feels solid now. We'll see how it holds up.
Good looking mod Redbones. Looks real solid. I'm sure it will hold up.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:57 AM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
People always miss the importance of class that level the playing field and make it INVITING for someone to get into racing...

Spec classes always have been and always need to be the backbone of R/C racing - its nice to have the 'balls-to-the-wall' classes, but what the majority of people miss is that those people aren't what make up the majority of R/C racers...its the weekend racer who wants to have fun and hang out fulfilling their racing/speed desires without having to take a 1:1 car on the track (I know that's why I do it)

Either way, when no one is left racing or tracks die out - the short-sighted people will wonder what happened

either way, thanks to everyone who 'understands' what this car is meant for
I too was a into bashing around back then. Bashing like crazy with a Savage. Totallly hopping up a Micro RS4 with 9-cell and a 540 can using the AktionRC Chassis, etc. That was about 6 years ago.
I recently got back to RC because of Spec Racing.
The Slash spec racing got me back in the hobby.
Then I saw the ABC Hobby race series they have at BCR. Amazing stuff. Old school body sets (510, 240z, Sunny, etc).
I was an on-road enthusiast before so this was an automatic thing for me.
I love the fact that you can get setup up and racing with minimal investment. You dont have to hop-up your car to the max to compete with the guidelines they set.
Just race and have fun with everyone.
Just look at how popular the Slash spec racing is. They are everywhere.
I hope that the 1/10 scale mini 4wd goes a long way as well.
Bottom line. Let's just have fun.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.