Search
Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default Yes it is....

Originally Posted by Bodywerx_rc
Is that not just the regular Datsun 510 body?
That is the 510 I've put together, the 2nd photo is of the new PORSCHE 911 CARRERA RSR 2.8 BODY (WB210mm.F0/R6mm).

Last edited by 1555Racing; 09-28-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: better information (searchable)
Old 06-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by five&dime
Hey thanks for the great advice. I would love to be able to drift it but I imagine that takes quite a bit of skill.

Other than that it will be a static display mostly and then run in a parking lot maybe twice a month. I go to a lot of car meets and would love to run this around when bored

I may get into racing it in the future but imagine I need lots of practice. Any links to motor, electrics combos would be great!!! I would also like info on what radio I should get. My budget for all the extra bits will be b/t $350-400 roughly.

When can I post photos or links? If you guys like 510's you will love my 72
One thing I would like to point out. Since you are going to be at car shows, other peoples expensive cars will be there. And their paint jobs that they worked on meticulously. I would go with a DSM radio like the Spektrum to reduce the chances of your getting away from you and hitting a pedestrian or someones hot rod.

I dont have a Cup Racer (Yet) but I take my TC to local car shows with a Herbie bug shell on it. I use drift tires because they break loose at slower speeds giving the illusion of higher performance. People just like to see it sideways.

Good luck with your Cup Racer.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Initiate

That's the kind of advice I was looking for. I remember several of my nitro's used to just take off on me which almost always led to them running head on into a tree or wall

I like the thought of hard drift tires. Is that all that's necessary for drifting? I saw on a site that there is a drift package for the cup racer but I didn't see any details.

I am still lost on motors.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Rookie

HPI Cup Racer 1M-pict0002.jpg

HPI Cup Racer 1M-pict0004.jpg

HPI Cup Racer 1M-pict0007.jpg

HPI Cup Racer 1M-pict0016.jpg

My car.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by five&dime
That's the kind of advice I was looking for. I remember several of my nitro's used to just take off on me which almost always led to them running head on into a tree or wall

I like the thought of hard drift tires. Is that all that's necessary for drifting? I saw on a site that there is a drift package for the cup racer but I didn't see any details.

I am still lost on motors.
Electrics with electronic speed controls usually wont dart off like that, but if you are going to be playing in the midst of all those nice hot rods, you will feel more secure if you know you have a solid radio system. Any DSM will do. Spektrum, KO, or Futaba are the most popular brands with DSM. All Spektrum radios are DSM. Spektrum also makes conversions for KO and Futaba.

Drift tires, there are setup changes that you can make to let it drift easier. But you can cut it sideways, and kick it with just the tires and some decent power. Maybe a little skill. I think it comes quickly if you like to see it sideways but thats just me. I wouldnt consider myself a drift head or an import car nut, but I like to see the thing slide.

Motors - If you are buying a whole system, go brushless. If you already have some stuff then you might want to stay compatible with some of your existing gear. Brushless is just easier to deal with. It keeps its edge without much maintenance at all.

checkout www.groovydrift.com to get up to speed on drifting. Its just a good place to read up and get ideas.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do the HPI Cup Racer wheels work with other tires or only the HPI Cup Racer tires?

Mahalo
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xtant3150c
Do the HPI Cup Racer wheels work with other tires or only the HPI Cup Racer tires?

Mahalo
unfortunately, no

the cup racer tires have an unique bead that aren't like the standard mini tires..plus they have a little bigger diameter then a 'standard' mini tire
Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Excellent advice. This forum is great!!! I just got my kit in the mail. It is amazing!!! I love how many options there are with decals. To mimick all JDM and domestic options for things such as the grill, lights and mirrors. I will be able to build an exact copy of my real 510

There is a guy in Germany who e-mailed me on the 510 forum. Out of all the 510's on there he chose mine to re-create So now there will be two. Apparently he writes for an RC magazine or something and is going to do a write up in addition to showing side by side photos of the HPI and my real car!!! Super cool

BTW, I don't have any of my old stuff and even then I had nitro. So I will go brushless.

Thanks!!

BTW, Anyone here in Richmond VA?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys new to the boards here, but not to r/c. I use to own a few back in the day. (hpi R40, Hi Savage, Kyosho Inferno mp9) Anyway, Ive been missing the hobby for sometime now, and Im thinking about picking one of these up to toy with. Anyway I wanted to know what you guys thought about these for drifting. Its just something I want to have fun with, do some mods, and kind of work myself back into the hobby while I save up for a 1/10 scale nitro next year.

Anyway thanks for the help in advance, and look forward to joning the owners club..
Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Don’t know if it was said before, but a few hot racing hop-ups just showed up on ebay.
Under cup racer, aluminum axle cups, aluminum steering blocks, etc
Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

I don't see why it wouldn't drift like a champ. As long as you give it some power, and get the drift package for it.

Five&dime I don't know what your budget is but the Novak Havok is a great brushless set up for the money.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by popdada
Don’t know if it was said before, but a few hot racing hop-ups just showed up on ebay.
popdada, have you purchased any of these parts? I'm interested in the threaded shock bodies.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Cup Racer Hop Ups

liquidrc.com

Has a good supply of hop up for the Cup Racer. I'd like to see HPI parts in my local stores here in So Cal.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fade2black85
Hey guys new to the boards here, but not to r/c. I use to own a few back in the day. (hpi R40, Hi Savage, Kyosho Inferno mp9) Anyway, Ive been missing the hobby for sometime now, and Im thinking about picking one of these up to toy with. Anyway I wanted to know what you guys thought about these for drifting. Its just something I want to have fun with, do some mods, and kind of work myself back into the hobby while I save up for a 1/10 scale nitro next year.

Anyway thanks for the help in advance, and look forward to joning the owners club..
In all honesty fade, I personally feel the Cup Racer isn't a very good plaything. Some of the parts are a bit too fragile (85281-10, 85285). If only parts were more readily available this wouldn't be as much an issue. Granted the car is still very new so there's still possibly an aftermarket and perhaps HPI may even update the parts themselves. I hope this happens soon though, I raced my CR last sunday and it broke. The week prior the car was such a sweetheart during practice and alot of people noticed. Come raceday and all it wanted to do was swap ends.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by popdada
I picked up some of the axle cups and am happy to say they are a perfect fit and really free up the driveline. Makes bolting the wheels on feel more secure as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.