Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Center Pully's

Hey Dan!

I tried Tom's narrowed TA04 based center pully last night. It almost works . It fits in the car ok, but because the pully's have 15 teeth instead of 16 teet as found on the standard 415 center pully, the belts are too big. I indexed the belts as far as possible and the rear belt still slipped under heavy acceleration. We then hooked up a belt tensioner on the rear belt, which essentially solved the problem, but the belt needs to be too tight in my opinion, which will rob some run-time/speed. We are going to try some 16 teeth pully's from other cars and see what we can come up with next. The ROAR nats are next week, so we are running out of time. I may have to run a center one-way at the nats. Should be ok, as I have been running the double one-way on foam. Fast...but hard to be consistent, and harder on run-time.

Let me know how things go with the spools you are making, as I will need one for the reedy race...assuming I get in.

Martin Crisp
Old 03-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: 415

Originally posted by cheekeon
TRF 415 is out can get one for US$480.
Interested PM me.
at $480?

They are $390 in the US currently from Speedtech
Old 03-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They arrived at TamiyaUSA late last week and had to be gone through to make sure everything was good. The kits are probably already on their way to shops as we speak.

This goes without saying but Dan, could you please have Troy investigate the spool and center pulley thing as soon as possible. It seems like the Reedy race will be right around the corner
Old 03-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just finishing fitting the electrics into my 2nd 415, this one has the cut belts on and hopefully i will be going testing on saturday so i will let you all know how it goes. Rick
Old 03-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Martin good to see you here also. I am assuming you and Tom are coming down for Reedy? How is the Yok diff holding up?

Say hi to Pete back there I heard his sponsor found a back door to get him into the race. He is running the XXX-S now.

Rod as soon as it is on my doorstep Troy is coming ot pick it up. Whether he likes it or not.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Martin - thanks for that feedback.

Now why did I have to procrastinate on joining the Reedy . A key to the backdoor....hmmm..... can I bribe anybody for this?
Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Dan

Hey Dan,

Tom and I have sent in our application for Reedy, but this year it is not first come first serve. They are going to take all of the applications and then select randomly who gets in. So it's up the god's at this point. No back-door for us.

The yok diff did not work - not even close to fitting. I used the HPI Pro 2 diff (two female outdrives) with a simple modification.

Tom called me today and he has found some 16 teeth pully's (I think from the TA03) that he is busy customizing to fit in the 415. I will be testing on Thursday or Friday this week. Tom is one very creative guy when it comes to these kind of things.

In terms of a spool, by the way, Tom's idea is to drill a hole through a one-way along with the outdrives and use a screw (like a droop screw) to go through both to lock things together. We will see!

Did you guys try using the Losi sand paper disks on normal plastic diff's at the reedy race last year to create the spool? If so, how did that work out? If that worked out then I could use this approach on the plastic front diff I have made for the 415 to make a spool.

Martin Crisp
Old 03-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Martin,

You beat me to it, yes there is a 16t TAO3 pulley, OG has one. I was also going to see if the xray one also fits. They have 16 and 18.

Tom is a nice guy, he said he will send me a diff assembly along with the car. I am getting anxious now!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rcspeedo
Hey Martin,

You beat me to it, yes there is a 16t TAO3 pulley, OG has one. I was also going to see if the xray one also fits. They have 16 and 18.

Tom is a nice guy, he said he will send me a diff assembly along with the car. I am getting anxious now!
Thats a dam good idea, i think i will go and pick up a X ray locked center shaft and see about using the gaers on my 415, it will increase belt wrap as well and shud let me set the belts even looser. Rick
Old 03-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Why are oneways banned at the Reedy Race? Is it because the Reedy Factory Pilots can't drive with oneways ??? lol
Old 03-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by black-knight
Why are oneways banned at the Reedy Race? Is it because the Reedy Factory Pilots can't drive with oneways ??? lol
It is a little strange.....
It will be interesting what the TRF drivers do.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Bk not so dramatic, Mike did it to promote the door to door racing and the awesome braking battles coming off the sweeper at TA. Too many people were using the excuse I got loose into the turn I think at the 01 Reedy it had a major effect on the outcome but not sure.

Martin, I heard the 03 pulley does not work, I have some also the diameter is too big from the conversation FMW and I had.
I'm not sure if I showed you the spool Troy made for us last year but it is a 1 piece affair that supports the gear diameter. It probably wont be quite as bulky since the pulley is back on the front gear now.
For the Losi rings yes I tried them initially on carpet and you were lucky to get 3-5 runs on the diff before you rounded off the flats.
Can you send me an e-mail on the mods you made.
[email protected]

I made the A last year so I have an automatic berth this year.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Nice sig Dan, you can change it back now
Old 03-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Tech Initiate

I heard that the rear graphite plate is easily tweak if slight crash. I wonder is it true or not???
Old 03-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

what's the weight of the baby?? with and w/o ti screws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.