Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Tweak is something you have to watch with this car though. During the last BIWS meeting I was checking it after every run, and it was usually out... I'm going to look into getting some screw collets to see if I can make it more resistant to it.
That's nothing compared to the 'brokomo', it is the king of tweak and of course breaking

Charles
Old 12-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
All I'm going to say is WOW...especially considering you have no idea who is on the other side of the key board...
TBH it does not bother me who is on the other end of the key board.

Your better going to a meet with a car that is 100% tweek free. Its like going racing with 3 tyres one compound and one tyre that is 3 times harder. Totally pointless exercise and you just chase your arse around the track with setup for a whole day then you find out its the tyres. Its exactly the same with tweek.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow few questions :)

I have been out of RC for a few years and I want to catch up now . What is the difference between TRF415MSX and TRF415MS refine 2? are they the same?
I need your advice for Novak GTX.
last but not least, anyone knows a page containing the components of Marc's car? Like what battery brand, ESC, motor etc...
Whats the average age of the people practicing this hobby? I just want to know if I (22 years old) fits here.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Arrow tweak

Tweak is 100% with the 415 msx You must check it after every run if u want to be fast Ive ran heats and didn't hit much or not vary hard and the tweak changed .....Now Ive seen other racers sit there car down "415" till the next race as they watch me go over mine and guess what they made the B or C main and I made the A its a matter of tenths if you want to do the work you will get the lap times..... When the 4mm chassis comes out it will help a ton.....thats my 2cents
Old 12-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Draper
TBH it does not bother me who is on the other end of the key board.

Your better going to a meet with a car that is 100% tweek free. Its like going racing with 3 tyres one compound and one tyre that is 3 times harder. Totally pointless exercise and you just chase your arse around the track with setup for a whole day then you find out its the tyres. Its exactly the same with tweek.
I guess its all relative to what a person considers chassis tweak...

If your comparing "tweak" to a different compound tire on one corner of a chassis, than that's pretty bad and does require a complete tear-down as Tryhard describe 8 posts eariler...

However...if I felt that my car was turning harder in one direction than in another (with would be the case in your example above) I would look at something else being wrong with the car....(ie: uneven droop settings, EPA issues, blown bearing...etc....)

For so many "newbees" they use the term "tweak" without really understanding the potential problems....

My posts are best served towards those newbees who are reading this forum...

I personally would rather wheel an 80% chassis and get as much track time as possible than work on my car all day to keep in an attemp to keep it 100%.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Arrow words

Originally Posted by halayli
I have been out of RC for a few years and I want to catch up now . What is the difference between TRF415MSX and TRF415MS refine 2? are they the same?
last but not least, anyone knows a page containing the components of Marc's car? Like what battery brand, ESC, motor etc...
Whats the average age of the people practicing this hobby? I just want to know if I (22 years old) fits here.
22 is fine...the refine 2 is a msx refine 2 the msx is a upgrade kit that came out before the refine2 that you put on a MS or stock 415 Gtx is nice I run 1 Marc run orion motors and batts and I think a Hara speedo..........
Old 12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Question....what happens after all is 100% after going through the process on a flat surface.....you get T-Boned during practice????

Do you start the procedure all over again or do you live with it????

My time is better spent getting in as much practice with a car that at 80% than over-engineering a chassis to get the tweak just right...

Believe me, it took me a long time to get this through my head...after being told by 3 world champions to stop over-engineering the car and just drive...I've realized that the more stick time I get, the better-off I am...
Simply, I'd check it again.

I don't consider it over engineering the car. If it's tweaked, and not running straight, how can you expect to get any decent practise in, if your constantly fighting the car? Surely it's better to make sure that the car is consistant between runs? Then when you practise, you'll be happy knowing that the car will be able to turn consistant times.

A quick example of the tweak problem though, and I do see your point. At the last BIWS round over here, I checked the tweak between runs, and adjusted it if needed, car was great, and very consitant between runs. However in the finals, I got hit hard on the first lap, and that put a serious tweak in the car (just wanted to pull left). I lost all confidence in what the car was doing, and just couldn't drive it properly... and from that your saying I should just keep it as is, and drive it? (admitadly this was the finals and not practise, but hopefully you can see my point)

The over-engineering you mention, I would consider changing 2 or 3 three things on the car every run, constantly chasing your tail... (I've been guilty of that before mind )

Personally, for me, having run the 415 now for a while, I'm pretty confident that I can put a base setup on the car for any circuit type, and be in the ball park from first practise.

I do see where your coming from though (on track practise is the best way to improve), but in the end it's all personal preference. Personally, I'd prefer to know that whenever I put my car on the track, it is as well prepared as I can possibly get it.

The other thing is, once you've run through the process, it doesn't really take that long to do. I can get my chassis done and de-tweaked in about 10minutes now. The longest bit is actually using the MIP board to check
Old 12-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

I think you guys are all tweaked in the head!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by halayli
As Custom says Refine 2 is the MSX. however, conversion kit is slightly different to the actually car kit, although nothing that can't be sorted with a spare part or two

From what I recall, Marc runs
Orion V2 motors (Marc R editions... although thats only from the can colour )
Orion Batts
Hara Twister2.1 speedo
Ko Radio gear, I believe it a Helios steerwheel he uses.

and as for age... I'm 23, so plenty of room for you
Old 12-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KilRuf
thats what the little elf next to me said....
Old 12-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

it usually what happens after one to many spiked eggnogs after the Holidays...
Old 12-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

it usually what happens after one to many spiked eggnogs after the Holidays...
Old 12-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Carl, are you racing your MSX on carpet? I'm just finishing up building mine. I think it'll be too flexible for foams/carpet. But I'll see what I can do with it til the 4mm chassis comes out. I have HPI aluminum steering knuckles on the car with HPI axles and Corrally Steel dogbones. They reach far enough into the Yokomo diffs. Pretty sweet setup if you ask me. Now I can run the Jaco 2 stage foams without using hex shims. Parma tires were no problem with kit spindles. Blah blah blah...... I'm tweaked
Old 12-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Carl, are you racing your MSX on carpet? I'm just finishing up building mine. I think it'll be too flexible for foams/carpet. But I'll see what I can do with it til the 4mm chassis comes out. I have HPI aluminum steering knuckles on the car with HPI axles and Corrally Steel dogbones. They reach far enough into the Yokomo diffs. Pretty sweet setup if you ask me. Now I can run the Jaco 2 stage foams without using hex shims. Parma tires were no problem with kit spindles. Blah blah blah...... I'm tweaked
I think somebody fitted the original 415 lower braces to their MSX with a bit of cutting. The pics are on page 376 or 377

Charles
Old 12-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Got a question, i've finished building the car but i can't get the servo saver to work (the springs just don't seem to fit), i know there are 3 springs but they just don't fit. The largest one does but then only 1 of the smaller ones fit. I am looking at the manuel and from where i am sitting one of the smaller ones has to fit over the other smaller one . But do i really need the servo saver as my 2123 servo has metal gears

Charles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.