Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Ed

I will be running in the BRCA stock class at West London and Wrexham. In the SLCC I will be at Bashley and Southampton. In the winter I will be doing Carpetwars.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
easy to answer It was a Tamiya spool... but instead of delrin outdrives, he had some Tech Racing steel ones...

HiH
Ed
Any idea where to get a the steel spool outdrives??

Had a friend tested out the spool,and the delrin outdrives just gave way after a short off track session...
Old 08-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All I know about the steel outdrives is that they were by Tech Racing (maybe a prototype part), and that they looked similar to the outdrives on the new speedtech spool, with four slots. Sorry I can't be more help on it..

Ed
Old 08-16-2005, 02:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All I know about the steel outdrives is that they were by Tech Racing (maybe a prototype part), and that they looked similar to the outdrives on the new speedtech spool, with four slots. Sorry I can't be more help on it..

Ed
Let's keep an eye on that one, I thought it was a bit silly not being able to get spare outdrives for the Tamiya spool
Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 AM
Tech Addict

I have a brand new MS kit in box and new DJ Pro suspension module if anyone interested... PM me ...!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

ADvice please. I am intersted in a tamiya 415, but to be honest the upgrades and differences between this and the MS etc are real hard to get to the bottom of.

So the basic question is, out the box is the 415 a competitive car on ozite carpet, if not, what would it take to make it so?

Any advice greatly appreciated. There are a few in teh for sale area so I am thinking of getting one.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BritRacer
ADvice please. I am intersted in a tamiya 415, but to be honest the upgrades and differences between this and the MS etc are real hard to get to the bottom of.

So the basic question is, out the box is the 415 a competitive car on ozite carpet, if not, what would it take to make it so?

Any advice greatly appreciated. There are a few in teh for sale area so I am thinking of getting one.
Britracer: I ran a stock 415, (non-LWT suspension) all season last year and found the car very competitive. The older suspension does not require a lot of modifications to use foam tires. (except, I used the upper king pin steering stud from the LWT suspension to clear the inside diameter of the Parma rims). The older suspension arms are much more durable than the LWT.

This year, I'll run the same chassis, although I'm waiting for the MSX bulkheads. Not cause I need it, but it just looks good.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Britracer - The 415MS is not really an upgraded car compared to a std 415 in my opinion, as I like to think of them as different editions, rather then like the difference between a TB-02 and TB-02R. Yes, the 415MS does have some hopups that the std 415 didn't have, but its all for bling really. The main difference is in the lightweight suspension, followed by the thinner 2.5mm chassis. The MS bulkheads aren't very different at all (just like a heatsink really) and the 415MS is more blue. A std 415 should still be extremely competitive for racing.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BritRacer

The car should work great on carpet...I have both setups (stock and LW suspension) and both are competitive.

If you are racing indoors on carpet I would prefer the thicker stock 415 chassis over the MS chassis. Generally the thinner chassis are more designed for outdoor racing where traction is lower.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:12 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok, cheers ballsie...

and agreed... bugger

On another point... I want to check that the spring rates on my chart are correct. Has anyone got the rates from a different source?
The reason I ask is becuase spashett was using HPI Blues yesterday, because they are apparently slightly softer than the Tamiya Yellows. However I've checked, and on my sheet, the yellow is ment to be 2 lb/in lighter

I've checked my calculations, as the HPI's are specified in gf/mm (1 lb/in = 17.9 gf/mm)... and it still comes up with the Tamiya springs being softer.

Thanks in advance
Ed
Ed
Maybe the characteristics of the HPI and Tamiya springs are different.
According to the pricelist the HPI springs are linear where the Tamiya are progressive from what I know. So they may feel and work different despite their spring rate.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by V12
Ed
Maybe the characteristics of the HPI and Tamiya springs are different.
According to the pricelist the HPI springs are linear where the Tamiya are progressive from what I know. So they may feel and work different despite their spring rate.
As long as the wire is of constant diameter and the coils are evenly separated the spring rate would be consistent and not progressive.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

thats my only thought on it... but the tamiya springs, as far as I can see are Linear... I just wonder if somewhere along the line, the rates are I have aren't correct. I' was actually just about to email someone about it, so I'll let you all know.

Regards
Ed
Old 08-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, I just got a 415, and need a front diff.

I have seen some posts recomending the yokomo parts, but one or two mentioning a Jurgen Alu Diff.

I can find the Yok parts as recomended from the TRF site, but not this Jurgen diff.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

So no one has an opinion on the MSX conversion? Although after rebuilding the rear diff last night it looks a lot better now.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tcmerf
So no one has an opinion on the MSX conversion? Although after rebuilding the rear diff last night it looks a lot better now.
Me... I Love IT! Having had a close look at the weekend, it deffiently seems a good step forward ove rht estd car. I'm already saving up to make sure I have enough cash to get it when it arrives (along with a few other bits).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.