Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TRF

Why is this car not placing at any of the big races since the Worlds? I am very interested in this Kit but do not want to spend $400 plus for a car that no one else seems to drive in big races. Please give me the 411 and tell my why i should buy this car. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Tamiya shocks

Originally posted by dawgmeat
Are this springs short or long?

Tamiya Super Hard Spring
Part #: TAM53635

Tamiya Ultra Hard Spring
Part #: TAM53636
These are long
Old 02-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: TRF

Originally posted by Ill Factor
Why is this car not placing at any of the big races since the Worlds? I am very interested in this Kit but do not want to spend $400 plus for a car that no one else seems to drive in big races. Please give me the 411 and tell my why i should buy this car. Any help is appreciated.

What about winning the GP World Cup in switzerland, a 2nd place at the Yama Yama cup, a 3rd place at the recent TITC, good results at the birds, and so on... Not to forget the car came second at the 2004 DHI Cup while Marc only had the prototype the week before, winning the 2004 Reedy Race, the LRP Touring Cars Masters, etc... What else do you want ?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

What do people prefer on carpet w/ rubber tires...

415 stock suspension or 415 w/ LW suspension

I'm trying to understand the difference between the stock and LW suspension and why you would use one over the other.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Rear Diff

Originally posted by Customworksking
Just wondering if you used the x blocks on carpet if what did u think ..
I've used the X-blocks on carpet, however this is with rubber tyres, so if you run foams it might be different.

Anyway, they make the car much more responsive, and also they give the car a fair bit more steering, almost too much.... at least when the grip is high anyway. At my last club meet I managed to do a quick comparison after a round with a car at standard width, my car deffiently felt like it was turning much better.... and that was againt a car with a 1-way in (i had a spool in mine)

At the moment, I have B/XA on the front, and XB/B on the rear. This gives 1.5deg toe-out (inboard) on the front, and 2deg toe in on the rear (i'm also using the alloy 0deg rear hubs).
I'm a little unsure if going narrower is the best thing for carpet, however if you like a responsive car, then deffiently get them

If it's a low grip situation however (and both myslef and randy seem to agree on this) it does make the car difficult to drive, so I wouldn't suggest using such a setup on, say, a wooden floor, it will just be too difficult to drive.

HiH
Ed
Old 02-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

The standard suspension was originally developped for the TRF 414. It has made its way onto the first version of the TRF 415, and works very well on both asphalt and carpet (on which it's very good indeed thanks to its rigidity and strength). Don't forget, Karn won the 2002 worlds with a TRF 414M that had this suspension on.

The LW suspension seems to have been designed with rubber on asphalt in mind, and weight saving. Thus, the rigidity is not as good, and the fact that the bearing are smaller (and closer from each other) makes for some losses in the rigidity area, especially when running foam on carpet.

Personally, I haven't tried the car with the LW suspension on yet, for the very good reason that I only have runned it indoors, since I got it in december. The car with the std suspension on carpet / rubber is just amazing and I don't see any need for me to try the LW suspension.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

That's what I was told by Korey and Dan (Garber) about the stock susp, it'll be fine on carpet for now and durable for outdoor. If anyone remembers the Nats track at Portland, that's my club and that track is killer on arms/c-hubs/carriers.... if you do hit, you are going to hit hard, so I'm staying with my stock suspension instead of going to the lighter, less durable LW.

I'm a bit nervous about this Saturday running 19T rubber on carpet for the first time, seems like it requires quite a bit of "do this, do that" to the car to make it work on carpet, hopefully it'll turn out good. 415 is pretty much my interim car while I wait for the new XRAY.

Anyone got a real good carpet rubber setup with stock susp? Korey and Dan already gave me some good starting point, but would like to see what everyone's basic setup is.

Dom
Old 02-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Randy,

YGPM
Old 02-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Litespeed,
Theres a few setups on the site on my sig, if they are of any help for you.

BTW, Marc Reinhard ran the car in pre much stock form at the 2004 indoor LRP race... I think you can find that setup on rczone.net.

To be honest all the little "do-this, do-that" bits mention are really only to get the last bits of performance out of the car (although there is probably still more ), stock settings are pretty damm decent as it is.

HiH

Last edited by TryHard; 02-25-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We are down to about half of the TRF415 spools left. To be honest there could be a delay after this batch of spools, so those of you that's been contemplating on getting one, now is probably a good time (especially those of you attending Reedy Race )

Steve Wang
Old 02-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Tech Addict

Steve,

Will you make a light weight version of the spools??

Also, will you carry any Tech-Racing parts in the near future?
They have a cool chassis kit for the Pro4 and 415.
They also have a optional diff for their car that I think will fit the 415 as well....

Thanks,
Eirik
Old 02-25-2005, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default ty h

ok thanks ty I'm at trackside now and I am going to be running rubber 19 turn ..Tamiya TCS race I have all day so,I will try your set-up and check lap times ..
Old 02-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Nexus
What do people prefer on carpet w/ rubber tires...

415 stock suspension or 415 w/ LW suspension

I'm trying to understand the difference between the stock and LW suspension and why you would use one over the other.

If the track is tight and has a lot of traction, stick with the stock 415 suspension. If the track is long and flowing (not too tight) and asphalt, use the LW suspension.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: TRF

Originally posted by Ill Factor
Please tell me that your jokin' aound?

If not, go buy the Xray they kicked everybody butts in the B-main at the worlds

hey how about the TC4, I bet you could get one real cheap. Half the people who bought them, sold it and got a Xray.

Losi they have been everywhere and haven't won

really get the car that work best for you

Xray: carpet king

415ms: pavement king

just get the RDX they have 2 version
Old 02-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Eirik
Steve,

Will you make a light weight version of the spools??

Also, will you carry any Tech-Racing parts in the near future?
They have a cool chassis kit for the Pro4 and 415.
They also have a optional diff for their car that I think will fit the 415 as well....

Thanks,
Eirik
HI Eirik,

We do not have a light weight version of the spools simply because the spool is not heavy to begin with (it is similar weight to the one-way unit with the outdrives on) Some drivers at the worlds even told us not to reduce the weight to being too light, because the rotating mass and the momentum it carry helped the cars carry more corner speed into the turn, which pull the car through the turn faster.

Tamiya is actually working on a diff for the front of the 415 so we should see that soon. Aside from using the Yokomo ZS-501 outdrives to make a diff, you can also use the ZS-502S if you wish to have a steel outdrive diff.

On the tech racing stuff, we tried, but it just seem like they are not interested in selling their products to us. But we will keep trying

Steve Wang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.