Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Old 03-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I only have a 415MSX Marc Rheinard Edition. Not the 49419. But is has the MSXX top deck on it and it's been run on asphalt a lot. Sorry.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by eComet View Post
Are you collecting the whole car or just need the parts?
The whole car if possible.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are you collecting the whole car or just need the parts?
Hello, witch parts do you have?
Greetings, Joop.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoJo1241 View Post
Hello, witch parts do you have?
Greetings, Joop.
I just finished restoring a brand new TRF415MSXX MRE. List what you need and I'll see if I have the parts.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just finished restoring a brand new TRF415MSXX MRE. List what you need and I'll see if I have the parts.
I can buy a new MSXX MRE, but that is not what i really want.
I would like to get my hands on a normal TRF415MSXX, the 49419.
greetings, Joop Voorn.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 AM
Tech Initiate

It's been almost 2 years since the last post in here, hope I don't get lashed for reviving it... I'm considering getting back into touring car racing, and I pulled out my old TRF415MS which has been sitting in the cupboard for 12 years. The chassis is still 100%, but it is missing the front drive belt. So my question is, is it worth getting a belt (if possible) and fitting brushless, a lipo, etc. and racing it? Or should it be relegated to a show piece? Does anyone know a good online place to get discontinued Tamiya parts such as the drive belts?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

I really like the idea of running classic cars. But.. I'd clean that up and make it a shelf queen.

The drive belts are "standard" parts, and can be bought from many, many sources. You can even get "better" belts than came from the factory.

You'll need to do some work, how to find other repair parts for the TRF415.

The TRF415 is also a stiffer and higher CG car, if your local courses are high traction, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle. The stiffness is also going to give you trouble versus the more flexible chassis at low traction tracks.

It's worth noting, there are a bunch of ~very cheap~, and ~very good~ chassis on the market. $200 could get you a quite a car to throw your electronics in. With the benefit of not needing to worry about parts availability.
nickcza likes this.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At this point I would shelf the car and keep it as a collectible item. I wouldnt even begin to mention about the competitivity of the chassis since how you set the car and how you drives dictates more than anything, but the availability of parts of this car is a huge concern. One crash is the difference between still having this car to look at and hold and a pile of scrap carbon and metal.
nickcza likes this.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
I really like the idea of running classic cars. But.. I'd clean that up and make it a shelf queen.

The drive belts are "standard" parts, and can be bought from many, many sources. You can even get "better" belts than came from the factory.

You'll need to do some work, how to find other repair parts for the TRF415.

The TRF415 is also a stiffer and higher CG car, if your local courses are high traction, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle. The stiffness is also going to give you trouble versus the more flexible chassis at low traction tracks.

It's worth noting, there are a bunch of ~very cheap~, and ~very good~ chassis on the market. $200 could get you a quite a car to throw your electronics in. With the benefit of not needing to worry about parts availability.
Thanks, makes sense, I'll still need to find some belts even if I make it a show piece. Haven't had much luck with that yet.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

If you can work out the length of the belt (normally printed on the belt), you may well be able to find a replacement from another car, even if the Tamiya belt is no longer available.

I'd back up the "shelf queen" route - biggest issue is going to be that the 415 was never designed around LiPOs and you probably won't get a LiPo in there without major modifications. Not worth doing. I haven't looked on eBay but you might find that a clean 415 is becoming collectable.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The ol 415MS had the older higher bulkheads so clearance for a lipo shouldn't be a problem but don't quote me on that. It wasn't until the 415MSX version did the bulkheads become an issue.

The 415 may not be competitive compared to the current gen cars but you can still run it a slower class like VTA.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 AM
Tech Master

Yep the 415ms is fine for lipo fitment. You can quite easily run the 415. Most spares are available and the hard chassis is quite useable on high grip carpet. Itís wont be as refined as the newer cars but itís competent enough for club racing.

Here is one I modified recently to win a TRF championship a few years ago.

https://www.thercracer.com/2016/05/t...-spec.html?m=0
Old 08-17-2018, 01:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Yep the 415ms is fine for lipo fitment. You can quite easily run the 415. Most spares are available and the hard chassis is quite useable on high grip carpet. Itís wont be as refined as the newer cars but itís competent enough for club racing.

Here is one I modified recently to win a TRF championship a few years ago.
Thank you, this looks very promising! The only issue I have is I can only go online to get the spares I need, where I live there is nothing available. I haven't been able to find much, other than the odd part here and there on eBay. Those nylon centre pulleys look like a much better idea than the alloy ones that came in the kit, especially for wear.