Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quantum
is there a general rule of thumb on when to use the shorter evo5 arms?
i know lots of ppl use them on the msx when running foam carpet, but is it advantageous to use with rubber asphalt or rubber carpet in 19T?

what exactly does the shorter arm do?
I race on asphalt mainly, and found the car less twitchy on the short arms compared to the long arms.

Also the short arms are far more stronger than the long arms, and don't snap as easily. For example I have been running the same short arms as what I originally reassembled the car with, and been racing the past two months. No broken arms at all. Same period I would've been through at least 3 long arms.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Burlap
Also the short arms are far more stronger than the long arms, and don't snap as easily. For example I have been running the same short arms as what I originally reassembled the car with, and been racing the past two months. No broken arms at all. Same period I would've been through at least 3 long arms.
really? I have to admit I've only used the short arms indoors, and am still yet to break one... but over the coarse of last season (running only the long arms), I think I broke only 1 arm, and that hit also bent the rear axle and hub...
ahh well

Last edited by TryHard; 04-15-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by quantum
is there a general rule of thumb on when to use the shorter evo5 arms?
i know lots of ppl use them on the msx when running foam carpet, but is it advantageous to use with rubber asphalt or rubber carpet in 19T?

what exactly does the shorter arm do?
I always use the short arms as they made my car more precise, gave more corner speed, more steering and faster laptimes!
The car was soo much better with them, so I never went back to the std. arms.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Tech Adept

Default new 415?

My local official tamiya distributor told me about new "tamiya 415" which should be showed in Shizuoka? Did anyone hear about it?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eirik
I always use the short arms as they made my car more precise, gave more corner speed, more steering and faster laptimes!
The car was soo much better with them, so I never went back to the std. arms.
I have to agree with you but I used longer arms only two time after "short arms time" started :-)

I was on very bumby track with long curves, the car was very unstable with short arms unlike long arms.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
really? I have to admit I've only used the short arms indoors, and am still yet to break one... but over the coarse of last season doing the nationals, I think I broke only 1 and that hit also bent the rear axle and hub...
ahh well
I think you misread what I typed, I haven't broken a short arm at all so far
Old 04-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Burlap
I think you misread what I typed, I haven't broken a short arm at all so far
Ahh... my fault, I was talking about the long arms... I only broke one all last year.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I started off with a set up Tryhard suggested for me for Carpet (see a few pages back) and I gave it a go on Asphalt, by just changing to a front one way and a couple of shock position changes, and it's got to be by far the best it's handled, Short arms make the car so much more precise, I may have to dump all my spare long arms on Fleabay!
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

when using the short arms are you shortening the wheel base also or are you using longer blocks and keeping the same wheelbase as with the longer arms? i run the b and a blocks up front and the d and xb blocks in the rear with the long arms so what blocks should i run with the short arms? thanx
Old 04-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
when using the short arms are you shortening the wheel base also or are you using longer blocks and keeping the same wheelbase as with the longer arms? i run the b and a blocks up front and the d and xb blocks in the rear with the long arms so what blocks should i run with the short arms? thanx
Short arms will not affect wheelbase, but it will decrease the track width. Yes, people use longer suspension mount to compensate for the narrower width.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is it necessary to switch to 42mm axles if you switch from the standard lwt arms to the short lwt arms?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
Is it necessary to switch to 42mm axles if you switch from the standard lwt arms to the short lwt arms?
No. I'm using the 46mm ones and they are fine with the diff, one-way and spool.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
Yes use 46mm is ok or Square !
short arm only short 1mm
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-sq-stv-500sp.jpg  
Old 04-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
i run the b and a blocks up front and the d and xb blocks in the rear with the long arms so what blocks should i run with the short arms? thanx
Look back at the past couple of pages, and you will see your answer in regards to what toe blocks you need to run
Old 04-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys,

First meeting outdoors of the season, I made a few changes to my setup from last year and it seemed to have worked quite well.

I ran this setup with a 12T in and in 5-cell 3.5T b/L (using a XA block at the back to get 3deg toe in) and I equalled my track record on 6-cell mod on that track.

Then on sunday used it to take 3rd qualifying spot at TORC in 19T, bearing in mind I didn't have much HP compared to the 2 front runners.

It's basically a MSXX setup, with adequate springs and the short LW suspension, and the rear RC blocks raised 1mm to try and get a more even wear on the front and rear tyres, and get a few more good runs out of new tyres.

Worked well as I did my best run in qual 3, on 3rd run tyres and at the hottest part of the day. No drop off in the two finals either using the same tyres.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-415msx-bedworth-torc.jpg  

Last edited by TRF415boy; 04-16-2007 at 02:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.