Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Not very sure about whether the MSXX chassis is machined differently from the MRE. But quite sure that the quality of the MRE grahite weaving is better than the MSXX chassis.
Why would that be? The MSXX certainly doesn't look too much like a "budget" car.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
Why would that be? The MSXX certainly doesn't look too much like a "budget" car.

So I've heard...But that's what I heard from a good source. The price won't be that far off the MRE...
Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

I think Ben's source is quite trustworthy. However I still find it funny how a manufacturer differentiate their product to that extent. I mean you've heard about plastic tub vs composite vs carbon fiber (like the associated TC4). but i've never heard about different weaving for carbon fiber used by the same manufacturer for the same line of car.

unless they change supplier, or maybe tamiya make their own carbon fiber? not sure. another possibility is that this is something that shouldn't be known by the public
Old 11-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Tech Master

So I've heard...But that's what I heard from a good source. The price won't be that far off the MRE...
Is it going to be possible to upgrade an MSX using the new parts?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
Is it going to be possible to upgrade an MSX using the new parts?

The MSX is quite a different car from the MSXX or the MRE.

From the looks of things,If you want to upgrade a MSX to MSXX specs, you would need a new chassis, steering assembly,TA05 white pulleys (F&R), lightweight alu CV outdrives, Ti screws,MRE spool and the upper alu heat sink plate for the rear bulk head. Thats already quite a lot of $$ ...
Old 11-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

The MSX is quite a different car from the MSXX or the MRE.

From the looks of things,If you want to upgrade a MSX to MSXX specs, you would need a new chassis, steering assembly,TA05 white pulleys (F&R), lightweight alu CV outdrives, Ti screws,MRE spool and the upper alu heat sink plate for the rear bulk head. Thats already quite a lot of $$ ...
The only things I would need to buy are the chassis, top plate, steering, Ti screws (I can live without them), spool I don't use that much, and the upper heatsink plate.

But your right, all those things added up would be expensive. Unless they come out with a carpet chassis for the MRE, then I would have some reason to buy it.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

There is a hole cut out at the below the chassis & there will be a alu airduct which gives a diffuser effect to suck air from under the chassis to the motor. Basically is cooling for the motor.

The MSXX upper deck looks funny... And the lower deck is 2.5mm, so is thinner than the MRE which is 3mm, if I'm not wrong.

Looks like I might just get the airduct & the one-way (just as tunning option)...
No offence but i read your posts and half of them are wrong in some respect. For example the MRE chassis is 2.5mm not 3mm. Also your claim that the quality of the c/f of the MRE being higher, how would you know that ? As far as I know it was no better than on the previous cars.

As for what the MSXX is, it simply is a MSX with the updated parts. With the MRE being a limited edition, Tamiya was bound to release a non limited edition car, and here it is.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodo
I think Ben's source is quite trustworthy. However I still find it funny how a manufacturer differentiate their product to that extent. I mean you've heard about plastic tub vs composite vs carbon fiber (like the associated TC4). but i've never heard about different weaving for carbon fiber used by the same manufacturer for the same line of car.

unless they change supplier, or maybe tamiya make their own carbon fiber? not sure. another possibility is that this is something that shouldn't be known by the public
In all honesty, it really isn't that difficult...

You'd be quite suprised in the level of difference between different manufactuers of fibre, and there's many ways of altering the lay-up of a panel to improve the properties with the same fibre type too... and don't forget different resin systems as well

See, lots you can alter without changing too much...
Old 11-22-2006, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
No offence but i read your posts and half of them are wrong in some respect. For example the MRE chassis is 2.5mm not 3mm. Also your claim that the quality of the c/f of the MRE being higher, how would you know that ? As far as I know it was no better than on the previous cars.

As for what the MSXX is, it simply is a MSX with the updated parts. With the MRE being a limited edition, Tamiya was bound to release a non limited edition car, and here it is.

Hi, I'm just stating what I've heard...Thats all...And I acknowledge that the MRE's chassis is 2.5mm

But there are surely different grade of carbon fibre...For example, comparing our graphite to those from the Pagani Zonda...Thats quality carbon fibre...
Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Help me to choose a front end.

Hi Guy's
I just wanted to ask you guy's, I am racing modified on a large open track with my MSX and the grip is fairly good.The track is Ashpalt and out door and it is the gold Coast of Australia so it is bloody hot here. I do have a fair bit of understeer but just wanted to know, I have a spool, diff and a one way to put in the car, at the moment it has a one way. Which one of the 3 would help with the understeer if any one of the 3 maybe one would be better. The problem is power coming out of the corner (Mid to end of corner)
Any help would be great.
Also can anyone recommend is there any one little thing that may help with the understeer.
Thank's Guy's
Addam smith
Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Rookie

I just Tried the golden springs from my long forgotten TB02,
and the Take-off CS27 tire's, these are good all-round's,

ps: Can anyone tell me wich spring type of Tamiya is the same as
the gold one from my TB?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Hi Guy's
I just wanted to ask you guy's, I am racing modified on a large open track with my MSX and the grip is fairly good.The track is Ashpalt and out door and it is the gold Coast of Australia so it is bloody hot here. I do have a fair bit of understeer but just wanted to know, I have a spool, diff and a one way to put in the car, at the moment it has a one way. Which one of the 3 would help with the understeer if any one of the 3 maybe one would be better. The problem is power coming out of the corner (Mid to end of corner)
Any help would be great.
Also can anyone recommend is there any one little thing that may help with the understeer.
Thank's Guy's
Addam smith
i think a little more droop in front
that would be my bet
Old 11-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe try a shorter rear wheelbase.

Charles
Old 11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freekthefreak
i think a little more droop in front
that would be my bet
I think you mean less droop in the front! More will transfer more weight to the rear on power and cause more understeer. You want the weight to stay in the front on power!

Last edited by maxepower; 11-22-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by maxepower
I think you mean less droop in the front! More will transfer more weight to the rear and cause more understeer. You want the weight to stay in the front on power!

And probably some rear droop...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.